Frugal Village Forums banner

2014 Change jar challenge

6K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  bookwormpeg 
#1 ·
I have a goal this time, it is helping me to leave it in the piggy.

Balance in siggy.

#2 ·
I'm in! Starting at zero. I had cashed in this years to add to savings. I like your idea of a goal Emily. Will have to think of something specific to work towards. Thanks for the idea! :)

Reactions: frugalforever
#4 ·
I do not carry cash often, so our change is very small, but we save it all when we get it. Last year on new years we started fresh. I counted today we had $27.90. Hm, think we need to add singles into this to make it even matter. I deposit all the daycare families checks, and the state paid kids, and 2 families pay by direct deposit so I don't see cash often at all. Only if I take out $20 here or there for something the kids need cash for.

#6 ·
I'm taking our change jar to the credit union tomorrow to see what I ended up with in 2013. I'm also starting tomorrow with my change for 2014! Putting in all toward debt...gotta get that paid down a LOT this year!

#8 ·
I don't use cash much, so i don't have much change. Especially now that the penny is gone, it seems I never have change.

I am going to through the house and collect all the stashes of change, and deposit it. We have jars of pennies everywhere.

then i'll see what we can do for change challenge.

#9 ·
Added $1.45 to piggy, new balance in siggy

#12 ·
Added $3.70 today and am going to trade in
the pennies I have saved and add it in.

New total in siggy

#14 ·
Last year I saved a lot of my larger change-being in Canada we have the loonies and toonies. I didn't have a goal but this year I do so I will start with a clean slate and take all my rolled coin from last year to the bank. With my goal it will make me more diligent . All the quarters, dimes and nickels will go to our Grand-daughter. Will be opening up an account for her. Good luck all.

#15 ·
Got pennies turned in $1.90 and change from groceries .65 so total $2.55 new total $44.15

#16 ·
$1.45 added today new total $45.60

#17 ·
Starting the change challenge with a goal. I have decided to take the money and start putting an extra payment on the mortgage. Have been wanting to put extra money on the mortgage for the last three years but just never got around to it--oh I wish I had as I could have had quite a chunk paid down. Well I finished off last year with 855.00 in my change jar ( loonies and toonies). 800.00 of that is rolled and that is what I will be taking to the bank this week. Will start out with the 55.00 that is not rolled and it will go into the change jar as a starting point. Good luck all.

#18 ·
Added $1.80 for total of $47.40

#19 ·
Added $3.10, total at $50.50

#20 ·
Tripleb--Wow..good job. I added every little bit I could towards my mortgage over the years..sometimes it was only $5.00 a month. But it really adds up. Later I was able to do more. Paid off years in advance. Add what every you can.
My piggy is getting fatter. Update in signature. I have it in a digital bank that you can't see the balance unless you add a coin...makes me run around the house looking for a coin so I can check balance. Also like it because..they will not be named...have "borrowed" from my pigs in the past. If you open this one it resets...ahhh..no more borrowing those quarters from Mom..she can tell now.

Reactions: NikoSan999
#24 ·
I added $2.30, new total in siggy.

It is a lot easier to keep hands off
when you have a goal for it ... duh

#26 ·
I added $5.60 today,
new balance in siggy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.