Frugal Village Forums banner

2014 Emergency Fund Challenge

8K views 60 replies 20 participants last post by  Batsheva 
#1 ·
I have $100.00 to start the year out!

#4 ·
I am starting with $0...I wiped out all money in savings, emergency, etc...when I bought my house...dumb move...but I did it....I hope to get $1000 this year at least. When my tax returns come in, in February or March...it will be in one large lump sum for the emergency fund....And any "extra" money here and there I can scrape up...which looks very sparse at this point.

#5 ·
Well, the 2013 challenge didn't work out so well, considering that I ended up with less in savings than I started out with. But THIS is the year! Upward and onward! It wouldn't have looked like quite as much of a slaughter if I hadn't been so determined that I was going to reach my IRA goal - or else. So I sent the money there and ended up having to use some of the savings for cash flow. But that's ok.

I'm putting in $250 tonight and the bank's $25 auto transfer to savings will happen in a couple of days. So at least I'm starting off right.

#7 ·
I'm back this year! My layoff fund is pretty healthy and I am hoping to add $2500 to it in 2014 (as long as my job continues!). So I am starting out at $100.
We will need to replace a car in the future, so I am adding my car fund to my emergency challenge. It is starting at $400.
I wish all our savers here a wonderful 2014!

#8 ·
I put $50 away today. If I count my EF I have enough money to pay my taxes in May. This is a relief. But I don't want to touch my EF so I will continue saving. Next financial year should be easier for me so if I do have to spend some of my EF I will be able to catch up.

#14 ·
Didn't add anymore this pay check. I used the $50.00 to
beef up my house repair envelope since it was the only one
not funded this month. So new totals are in my siggy.

#15 ·
I put $27 into EF account today. I'm not really sure how much I have in there at the moment as it is about to be used for a few expenses, including visiting an accountant for financial advice (I am hoping she will help me save even more).

Reactions: Susanscraps
#17 ·
Don't laugh but I added $6.42. that's all I had left over:( Slowly getting it back up.

#19 ·
I have two (very) part time jobs. My income has just been drastically cut in one of them. :/ I want to start saving as much as I can from my income from these two small streams of income(I do not have any other income from jobs-dh works full time). My goal is $400/month from now until July. I am starting with $1000 in this account and hope to reach $3400 by July end. I am calling this my MF account.
1/20/14 $1000/$3400 MF Account

#23 ·
I replaced what I robbed last paycheck.
So I am back up to $100.00 /$1000.00

#24 ·
I decided to give each $$ a name to keep my paws off!
I funded the taxes due in July $1800.
I funded the vehicle ins. due in April $740.
I funded the H. owners due in July $2100.
Hopefully these areas wont go up too much
I have a check I got for home damage from the winter and a
broken pipe $6300.
I have $1000. in the BEF
My next goal is to fund the power outage Efund to $600.
Then start funding the furnace fund incl the tx refund if we get one.
Dh is due for 2 exploratory surgeries so I am in frantic squirrel
away mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.