Frugal Village Forums banner

2014 No Spend Challenge

51K views 920 replies 40 participants last post by  NikoSan999 
#1 ·
WELCOME 2014!!!! :fdance:

This will be the year of no spends......well I am going to try to spend the LEAST amount possible. You decide what you deem a spend day. I do not count paying bills. Some people don't count days when they have to gas up the car or when they pick up medications. What you chose to count is totally up to you!!!

The purpose of the challenge? It is make you more aware of what you spend your money on and how often you pick up those little purchases. Can you combine trips so you can have a few days of no spending?

Join me!

My goal for January ...... 25 no spend days. YUP. I am going for it! :toothy: How about you?

#2 ·
I have a hard time keeping track and wait too long between posts.
However, I am going to try again.

Jan goal 15/31 no spend.

#5 ·
Think I need to join to up my awareness. Jan = 16/31 no spend days for me. Mahalo for starting this up Deb!

#6 ·
Double post.

#7 ·
I'm in for the 6th year ( damn...it's been that long? ) in a row. It was 15 days for a long time but the last couple months sucked so did 10. I'm going for the middle of 12 days and take it from there. At least for January.
I don't count gas and bills. It's the only thing I don't count.

#10 ·
This used to be a fairly easy challenge for me but last year I went back to work and we relocated our old office to a much more remote location and a much longer commute. It completely changed my shopping routine. I've set up a mini-kitchen in my office with a mini fridge but because of it's small size and with the amount of condiments and salad dressings I keep on hand space is limited. There is one grocery store (Publix) on my way and a lot of times I'll pick up fresh fruits or veggies or misc. items for lunches. I also use this store once a week if the BOGO or meat sales are good but on another day I have to trek across town to hit Aldi or Walmart. So I can "spend" several days in a week even if it's just groceries. Then on Sunday my husband will take my car to get a car wash and gas (my office is on the ocean and it gets covered in salt spray - weekly washings are a must!) so there's another day. In order for me to do this challenge I need to separate essential spending from frivolous spending. Groceries, car wash, gas and bill paying are essential so I'm not going to count those. All other shopping or spending, no matter what size, will be counted.

So my challenge will look like this:

Essential Spending: XX days

Frivolous Spending: XX days

Not sure I can figure out how many days that will be but my goal is to keep that frivolous number as low as possible!

#12 ·
I'm In! I'll set my goal at 23 no spend days, that gives me roughly 2 days a week to spend. I don't count bills, but I do count gas, groceries, etc.

#13 ·
I will count anything except regular bills. My goal is 23 no spend days. Thanks Deb-Cat for posting.

Reactions: piney
#14 ·
I pay bills on payday, which is when I spend the most money
(shopping, meds, gas, bills, etc). We also eat out then and on
payday Saturday. So I count any day I spend.

Then there are days like today. Had to get meds, distilled water,
and some more WW soups (love em !) So, luckily this goes on last year's
instead of next year's LOL

Reactions: l8eebugg and piney
#16 ·
Okay I am in this year. My no spend days will include any unbudgeted expense. Like buying lunch or books but does not include gas, groceries since I budget for them each month. For January I am going to start with 10 days and see how that goes

#26 ·
no spend today

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.