Frugal Village Forums banner

2014 No Clothes Purchases!

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  CPA-Kim 
#1 ·
I have more clothes than I need. This year I donated about 50% of my clothes to goodwill and it felt good to have closets not packed with things I might not wear at all.

I'm challenging myself, and anyone else who wants to join me, to not buy clothes in 2014.

#2 ·
Interesting choice and I wish you well. Am wondering if I could do this - I certainly could use some basics in my wardrobe, but then I probably gave the fabric and could sew my own. Soooooooo, I am tentatively joining you - I would need a huge reason to buy any new clothes.

#3 ·
Normally I would sign up because I rarely purchase clothes, but it's caught up with me, and this year I am going to have to buy shoes in the spring and I really need a couple of new tops and maybe another skirt for work lest I be fired on the grounds of being a pathetic ragamuffin. I hate spending money on clothes almost more than anything. They don't interest me and never have. After I retire, I will probably be the poster child for scruffy.

I wish you well. I wish I could get by without adding anything this year.

#4 ·
~Good for you!
I'd join you but clothes have never been a problem area for me or my family. I buy almost everything used(except undies and swimsuits, some shoes) and keep our wardrobes simplistic. It's very true that if you buy good basic pieces, they will last for years(even true on the used market). Spent only $450 all year in 2013 for the entire family.
But good luck to you!~

#5 ·
Ever since I was young, I had jobs where I had to wear a business suit. Now I'm teaching 100% online. I kept several very nice business pieces for meetings but the rest went to the Abused Women's shelter. It was a double blessing for me in that I was able to provide designer suits to ladies going on job interviews and I can sit in my sweats and shorts while I teach!!! I gave a few pieces to my sister-in-law and she was delighted. It inspired her to go through her closets and donate a bunch of things. Then we went through our entire condos and found other things to donate. We really simplified and doing this started a dialogue of spending less, saving more, and giving more.

I really don't like to shop but when I do I buy. I would rather spend a day on the beach than a day at the mall but online shopping sometimes trips me up.

We'll see how I do as the year goes on.

#8 ·
I'm in!
I have a terrible habit of picking up a new top or pair of jeans, just because they're cute and I don't have one that color. Never anything expensive, but often enough to add up to real money.
I absolutely don't NEED any more clothes.

I was tempted yesterday when I saw a t-shirt in a pretty color. It was only about $8. I put it in my cart, but before I got to the checkout line, I put it back where I found it!

#9 ·
Jean,
Your story brought back memories of my mother shopping. She loved to shop for clothes but rarely bought anything. Sometimes she would spend hours in the mall and have a couple of things in her cart, then put them back. Sometimes she would even buy them, take them home, try them on again, then take them back. She had the money, just really didn't need the clothes. The shopping high she got was her payoff.
I'm the opposite. When I was "dressing up for work" it wasn't unusual for me to go to Chicos or Macy's and blow five or six hundred dollars. I usually did this 3 or 4 times a year. I'm ashamed of it now but I need to move forward with my budget and my plan.

#10 ·
CPA-Kim: I don't really think that's anything to be ashamed of. If you have a job where you have to dress professionally, all the time, the money can really add up. I'm lucky because my job allows for very casual, and that in itself means costs can be pretty minimal. I see the day staff at the library and I'm very glad that I work the dead night shift. I think I'd rather quit the job than have to dress to that standard that some of them do.

#11 ·
It's such a good feeling not to have to buy "dressy" clothes anymore. Even the few days each semester I have to dress up makes me feel physically uncomfortable. I sure did get used to sweats and shorts as soon as the opportunity presented itself. I have a few comfortable dresses I wear to church but the part of Florida where I live is very relaxed and most people dress casually, even in church or going out to eat.

#12 ·
I am in. I have way too many clothes.... Since I'm also doing the weight loss challenge, I hope to be able to do both. I can alter some clothes if I lose enough...

Reactions: CPA-Kim
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.