Frugal Village Forums banner

How Did You Save Money Recently?

111K views 1K replies 102 participants last post by  peanut 
#1 ·
I frequently look for new little ways to save that have little to no impact on the quality of my life. I like to save money, but also have a nice time along the way.

Recently I am doing more canning and baking, which both saves money and acts as my hobby. My goal is to can things in season this summer at the lowest price and quality peak and enjoy all year. I am using recipes that are slightly more exotic than what can be purchased in a can at the grocery store. I also just bought a giant bag of cat food instead of my normal smaller ones. It cost more up front and will take a long time to get through it, and it should save money in the long run.

What new things are you trying to save a bit more?

#3 ·
I buy restaurant vouchers from places like Groupon and Living Social. It's typically a 40-50% savings. Yesterday DH and I had lunch together at the expensive sushi place by his office, because it was 2-for-1 day.

I'm in the Petco savings club thing, where you get $5 back for every $50 you spend. A giant bag of cat food, giant bag of litter and a bag of cat treats and I'm there. Once or twice a year I can combine litter and food coupons with the store savings and get $15-$18 off.

#5 ·
I'm currently attempting to grow four celery roots back into usable celery, so we can quit buying celery which we don't use much of, so I end up throwing out a lot of it. I've tried this before but it didn't work. This time, it's going pretty well.

I just made some rings I need for a craft out of plastic gallon water jugs because once again, I couldn't find what I needed in town and didn't want to spend much on the project anyway.

I love to repurpose all kind of things. Lately, I've been re-evaluating how our furniture is being used. By swapping one piece for another and using them for different purposes, I'm avoiding buying new furniture and also making the old furniture more efficient.

I recently cut seven inches off of our living room couch (it was easy), did a minor repair it's needed for quite a while, and made new cushions and cushion covers for it, rather than buying a new couch.

I like to experiment with new recipes. Scratch cooking saves money, and making my own mixes, breads, crackers, etc, is healthier for us.

#7 ·
I stay at home most of the time and usually only go out maybe once a week to pick up groceries and run errands. I go to church but it is close by.
I have been driving one to another town once a month to go to their grocery store and buy meat that is on sale along with a few other sale items they have. It is a whole lot cheaper than it is here in my small town.
Getting ready to turn Dish off and bundle our phone and tv with our local telephone company now that we have fiber optic lines and can get it. That will save about $40.00 a month.
I cook from scratch and cook some foods with fillers and less meat since it has gotten so expensive.

#11 ·
My daughter got a job where I work and moved 8 hours. To save money we are living together, splitting all the bills instead of each of us having an apartment (plus there is price gouging on places to live), car pooling to work and we are going to put in a small garden. Her BF moved with her. So, until he finds a job he is the babysitter and maid (I love the built in maid!!). With us living together I'm cooking more meals at home and eating out less - I was getting rather lazy. With us combining 2 houses we only need to buy fresh fruit, veggies and milk - we have a large stockpile to eat from for the next 6 months - lol! I hope all this works because it will save us @$600/month each.

#12 ·
Spent the last month learning Floridas version of "extreme couponing". Florida doesn't double but IS a true coupon state meaning they will take a store coupon without a UPC code along with a manufacture coupon with one. The stores have also started price matching the other stores...Walmart included. They're taking competitors coupons also and coupons on the free products ( BOGO ). I've always couponed but was able to double before so this is new territory for me and I'm having a blast doing it.

In April I took the grocery budget plus another $41.45 to try for the first time. I spent $291.45 ( three people, 2 cats, 1 tiny dog ) and brought into the house $727.94 worth of food, HBA etc. Includes everything. So I got $436.49 in groceries for absolutely free. A couple of things they paid ME to take out of the store. Works for me and is in their store policies.

This month so far I've spent $61.38 and brought in $109.73 worth of groceries and "taxables". So for this month so far $48.35 worth of free groceries. Not quite as good but I'm not done with the month yet nor will I go over budgeted amount this time. Excellent way to build back up the stockpile we've been using.

#13 ·
I cook from scratch period..it helps when you have a well rounded stocked pantry..it took me years to build it up to where it is today..hint..I use the vacuum sealer on my Food saver to help preserve my baking chips,nuts,spices, etc.

I make my own version of Dawn foam dish soap..( just filled a old dawn dish soap container today..have had the same container for many years) saves me quite a bit of money.

I buy meat on sale and use my pressure canner to preserve it...just canned chicken breast,chicken soup & chicken broth.

Make my own laundry soap..use vinegar for the rinse and line dry.

I bought a gallon of Wesson vegetable oil on sale not paying attention when I got home and went to put the date on it I noticed that it wasn't as full as the other one I bought..I checked to make sure the seal wasn't tampered with which it wasn't..so I called their 1-800 # and told customer service and they sent me a coupon for a free 64-oz bottle..

I purchased 4-more fruit trees, oregano,mojito mint,rosemary plant and a gooseberry bush to add to my food production.

#14 ·
We planted 2 apples trees, 2 lemon trees, and the house we bought for dd has fig, plum & pear trees, So I'll be making preserves & jam with on sale sugar, hopefully eating fresh apples in a couple of years. DH & my dad laughed at me for dehydrating all the potatoes (practically free - 100 lbs), okra, green onions that I did. DH fixed the crock pot meal of cabbage, green beans, potatoes & smoked sausage using a couple of handfuls of dehydrated potatoes; even my dad liked them & made the comment "this is the way to go". From now on I'll be dehydrating anything I can get my hands on. Using the garlic that grew wild at Dad's that I tied into braids. Brother-in-law gave us probably 10 lbs of sirloin from a cow dh helped him butcher. DH trimmed it and put into several Ziploc bags for the freezer. That was after we had beef & broccoli stir-fry. Tastes better if it's on sale or free.

Next project is going to be more raised beds. Planning on using upside down wine bottles that are given to me and beer bottles for the sides instead of wood. Used really long pecan limbs for the last one. Y'all look up "beer bottle raised bed photos" or "wine bottle raised bed photos" . It really looks easy & practical. Sister has a friend that runs a bar so if we choose to do the beer bottle beds, we can get all we want.

#15 ·
Finally purchased a food processor on a really good sale. I make 90% of my food, now it is much easier to make "processed" foods, one item is coconut cream.

Finally purchased a steam mop and handheld steamer. Have wanted them for years. Now I can clean so many things and not use chemicals. Really helps when you have allergies to certain chemicals.

Realize I have spent money but in the long run will be saving money and my health will be better.

Have been saving money at Kohls and Sears by signing up with their store programs. Can't believe how much I have received either free or for a couple of dollars. Whenever I receive free points or store dollars I will look on their website or at the store and use on clearance items that I might need. Always feels good walking out of the store with something new and at a great price. Being a thrift store shopper it is a nice change of pace.

#30 ·
Finally purchased a food processor on a really good sale. I make 90% of my food, now it is much easier to make "processed" foods, one item is coconut cream.
~Do share how you do this please!
Mine for the week is making homemade peanut butter baking chips. No way was I paying $3 again for a 10oz bag of chips when a few TB of peanut butter, powdered sugar and milk would stand in. They have to be kept frozen until use but were easy and cheap and very tasty!~

#16 ·
I am saving $25 by not buying sushi for lunch for MD tomorrow. Will make a salad and take it to the pool instead.

Got two reams of colored card stock for free yesterday using my Office Max rewards!

#17 ·
I called into the local radio show and won a free pizza. Twice a day they have a trivia question and you win even if you get the answer wrong. BTW the answer is always C. I plan on calling once a month and enjoying a free pizza.

I will resume canning this year, a year with commercial canned fruit wasn't worth the time saved or the extra money spent.

#19 ·
Before we do errands I put some ice and homemade sweet tea into a 32-oz. insulated, lidded mug. DH and I aren't tempted to get a cold drink at a drive-thru anymore.

I recently cleared out our junk drawer and found several pairs of scissors that we needed. Now I have scissors in the den, kitchen, study, and our bedroom.

We watch the sales at Tractor Supply and get their clumping cat litter when it's on sale. I have a big plastic bin with a lid that we store it in. I usually have 75-100 lbs. in it.

We take scrap metal from around the house and recycle it for a few extra dollars. We have turned in old bent nails, rusty curtain rods, etc., and get paid for it. It's not much but it helps.

#21 ·
Had lunch at home today after my dr appt instead of doing a Taco Bell drive thru.

Have been looking at new luggage for a trip this summer since ours in us pretty poor condition - decided to make the suitcases last one more vacation.

#22 ·
Bought and have been learning to use a pressure cooker. So far with fantastic results!! This allows me to buy less expensive cuts of meat. Since moving in with man-friend, we agree on me buying the food and cooking, so it's a win-win for me. :) I still shop the sales, buy in bulk, stock up on great deals. He doesn't cook so he is digging the home cooked meals, whatever the price. Once my house sells my 'bills' will be less than $100 a month, gas for my car and buying the food. I can dig it.

We also found that asparagus is pretty hearty here, as a small crop he planted 2 years ago is yielding some stalks (yummy!!). Have transplanted a few bulbs/roots to a different area to get them growing for future years. Also some strawberry plants are coming up, sweet! Want to see what will grow in this area well.

They put in a small fridge at my office, allowing me to keep lunch there, cold ones anyways. Microwave is next. Leftovers here I come!! For now sandwiches are keeping me fed at lunch. :)

Keep up the good work all!!

#23 ·
nice everyone nice.
Got 2 bunches of flowers free from St. Vincent DePaul just for shopping there w/ DD.

Been cashing in on the discounted gas from the Kroger points from meds and groc.

Been charging DD $100. a month rent to cover her food and $20. a week to cover driving her to work.

DH was able to write off an Olive Garden lunch today because of his work travel today

Been buying products at the flea market from couponers. $1. for a huge bottle of spf30 suntan lotion.
Got 12 mini flashlights at new for .59 and got batteries for 4pk of AAA's for $1.00 All over the house now for outages.
Bought all Dh's polos and my spring tops at S.A. at 1/2off night.
Cashed in $50. worth of points on the CC and put it back on the balance
Got my haircut at the Meijers hair cut salon for $13.

#24 ·
I Dumpster-dived a broken canopy that I'm going to use to make a frame to support the shower curtain and shower head for our portable indoor shower in the camper. At least, I hope I can make it work. I've been trying to figure out something for two years and couldn't come up with any idea I've been happy with, but this, if I can get it cut down right, should be perfect. I know I can fix the broken leg, so that part isn't a problem. The canopy is brand new in perfect condition except for the broken leg. Lucky me!

#25 ·
Ate 2 hot dogs at home and that was all

cleaned a junk area and found a ton of batteries and some milk soap. Embarassing but frugal

Used some of my larger pill bottles for safety pins and buttons when I cleaned the sewing cabinet

Got an oil change for $19.95 and they do a free inspection saving $50.

Cleaned out the back of the van and found 2 bottles of gummy Vit. I had left and a pair of those cheap gloves

repurposed some plastic sleeves from a broken folder to use w/ my cookbook collection.

Brushed the dog outside w/ a cheap pet brush from the dollar store and a recycled groc. sack. No mess,electricity and no vaccumn bag.

Bought hydrogen peroxide for .75 a bottle instead of big Lots $1.25 price got 4.

Fed stale rolls to the 3 dogs for "treats".
Using dental floss Dmom got from the dentist free and gave me.

Using wasted printer papers other side for scrap paper for lists

used left over restaurant napkins to wipe creams off my face. Froze the dipping tomato sauce and used it on a pizza bagel.

Got a free xl coke yesterday because I asked for no ice and she forgot (cant do well water) and I gave it to DH.

#26 ·
Drove 4 extra miles (round trip) and paid only $14.50 for car's oil change (compared to the place that wasn't the 4 extra miles, but wanted $55!!! *with* me bringing my own oil/filter).

Dh & I got haircuts at Great Clips 7.99/haircut sale.

Dh just adjusted our cell phone plan, saving us $25/month! And, no changes that we'll even notice!! =)

Been working on cutting back electricity usage and gas (heating) usage. Finally got to turn the furnace off about 2 weeks ago!! (Hey, it's Alaska). ;)

Just graduated college, but *not* taking a celebration trip like everyone else I know (most of who are going into further debt for it).
And, boy was that hard to not do with everyone talking about it all!! ><

#27 ·
Did end up eating at the 5 guys burger place on our date last night. Got a little cheeseburger and piled it w/ toppings. Ate 1/2 and took DD home the other 1/2. Got a drink and refilled it. Took another refill home for DD. DH and I split a little fry. $20. for 3.

Went to Dollar General next door and found small nail clippers clearanced at .40. Got 6. They are great for first aid kits,fishing tackle boxes (line clipping) and oh course in the bath. They were also selling anti-fungal creme (DH travels alot). He was charged $14. at CVS and this was $2.75 for a larger tube. I grabbed 2-one for the medical kit.

Paying all the CC and utility bills online save us a ton in stamps and envelopes. Need to do the medical that way.lol Hardly write any checks either-just charge and pay online as soon as it posts. Gather points that way too.

Bought a .25 camera bag (110) and keep all my diabetic supplies in it in my purse. I will prob. keep an eye out for a second one for the dresser upstairs. Its fairly water proof too.

More cleaning turned up 2 sheets (12) of light bulbs I got for Dmom she wont use. Into my supply they go.

I have been sweeping the front room instead of vaccumning. Does a better job and it free. No wear and tear on the vaccumn.no electric. If it just dirt it can go right back outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.