Frugal Village Forums banner

I'm doing an eat-down-your-pantry challenge for a month

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Bob Seger Fan 
#1 ·
Maybe you've heard of it, but if not, it's where (assuming you begin with a decently stocked pantry/freezer) you greatly reduce or even halt your grocery shopping for a specified amount of time and use what's on hand instead.

I decided to give this a go as I enjoy a challenge and I've gotten sloppy in the grocery shopping department. We don't need to find any 'extra' money this month, but that's one reason some folks give it a go. It's also time to use up some of the stored food I have on hand for emergencies but we don't tend to eat regularly (canned food isn't a big part of our regular diet). I am still shopping for produce and dairy products, some snacks, and I've also accounted for some 'extra' to purchase a few pieces of meat when they're on sale (For instance, I don't want to miss skinless, boneless chicken breasts at 1.99 a lb. instead of 3.29 a lb). So instead of my usual $140 a week for groceries, I've cut it back to $80 for our family of 4. This is it for 4 consecutive weeks.

It's been 2 shopping trips and so far, so good. I am slowly working my way through some of our stored food, and my family is generally happy with what I'm making (save the night I paired the last box of Spanish rice with kielbasa- my husband does not care for spicier foods, but he was a sport. I made beef and pea pods for him tonight as a thank you- one of his faves).

What I've figured out so far-
-bringing cash helps keep me in check but I need to do better (I usually just use my debit card). While my food budget is usually $140, I often go a bit over, but our budget is somewhat flexible so this doesn't mess anything up, really. I reduced the budget to $80 a week for the challenge (-$60 a week or $240 for the month). First week- $80.75, and I had the extra change. Second week- $85.xx, and I whipped out the darn debit card to cover the $5.xx. That was embarrassing! A good exercise for me about really watching that allotted dollar amount. I will keep working on it, as I clearly need to. I've gotten too sloppy the last few years with it.
-I am including cat/dog items in this $80. Not sure how if I'm regretting that or not or if it really matters.
-The 'challenge' budget could be whittled down more. Next time, I will shoot for less, probably $50 or $60 a week.
-Doing this will not empty our pantry. I had a little fear that when I'm done, we'll be down to a box of macaroni and a can of pasta sauce and nothing more. Then I'd have to restock EVERYTHING. Not nearly true, I'm finding. I doubt we'll eat even half of our stores. Hmmm...probably means I could indeed whittle down the skinnier budget quite a bit.
-I will be doing this twice a year. It's good for my wallet, and a good 'check up' of my shopping habits and frugality in the kitchen. Both are lacking lately. Time to get back on track.

So, 2 more trips to go, and so far, so good. I can't imagine NO shopping though- having milk, yogurt and fresh fruits and veggies is a must in this household, especially with young, growing kids.

Thought I'd share for anyone considering doing an eat-down-your-pantry challenge or for anyone unfamiliar with them. I hope you'll share your experiences with the rest of us!

See less See more
#2 ·
Most of my pantry is staples (flour, sugar, rice, a few cans, taco shells, stuffing mix, spaghetti and sauce, etc) and I seldom have more than two of anything in there. So it's something I keep stocked all the time.

However... the freezers were a different issue. I had way too much in them (mostly meats)last year, I couldn't even get in them to get an accurate count of what I had. I think I started about two years ago trying to "eat down" the contents, but I really got serious this last winter with not buying anything new. (except chicken on sale).

The sad part is, it hasn't really saved us any money, not buying meat each week, because the cost of everything (dairy, fruit and vegs) else has gone up 20-30%.

#3 ·
My Dh is on possible layoff notice as of Fri so we are joining in. No eating out until we know.
We dont have the best supply compared to previous years but such is life. Ds is visiting and I just bought a ton of stuff we dont usually treat ourselves to like chips and processed food. Maybe I will hide a bit.
Unfotunately,we are short cash too as I just hyperpayed 2 CC's.

#5 ·
Over the winter I ate down my pantry and freezer. The freezer just because I didn't go grocery shopping as often, but the pantry deliberately. I decided I was just keeping too much on hand and wanted the space for other things. I've been happy with the downsized pantry, and except for special sales on a few specific items where I may really stock up, I plan to keep it that way. I have one overflow shelf that I can use for special sale items that are so good that it's worth really stocking up.

It seems lately that the sale prices have become as standard as the regular prices, and since they come around fairly often it only seems worthwhile to seriously stockpile when something unusual turns up. If the apocalypse comes, I still won't be in trouble, because for fun I took a survival quiz about a year ago, and it predicted I would only last about three days anyway - lol!

#6 ·
We've hit a few snags here with hubby getting a bit sulky about the reduction in some of his favorite/usual foods. Then he suggested a hike with a picnic for Sunday and I had to remind him that I don't have it in the budget right now to throw together a 'proper' picnic. He didn't really argue, but he was clearly displeased. Pair this with a really tight month due to the upcoming various sizeable expenses, and I'm growing weary of playing the 'bad' guy constantly having to remind him that this is a tight month. Period. We'll get through it, and I know our money 'fights' are pretty rare and tame, but it's unusual to have such money stress over small things so it feels amplified for both of us, I think.

I made cookies from a mix today, but was just about out of butter, so I used the last bit of applesauce left in the fridge (which is beginning to look a bit bare) as a substitute. They turned out...interesting. More cake-y than cookie, and a bit sweeter than usual. I prefer them the 'right' way, but they're okay and the kids sure do scoff them anyway. I planned to purchase butter when I go shopping tomorrow, but the kids got it in their head that TODAY was a day for making cookies. Interesting little experiment there.

So we're surviving just fine still and seem to have plenty of variety at meal time, but hubby in particular seems to be feeling the reduction in snack choices due to the tightened budget this month.

#7 ·
With the variety of foods that are transportable, are you sure you can't put together a picnic? It wouldn't have to be elaborate. Going for a hike seems like fun for your entire family, and it seems like he's looking for things to do that don't cost a lot of money, so it seems like at least for that event, he's trying to work with you to cut costs. You're going to be eating something whether you're on a hike and picnic or not, so it wouldn't be any additional expense. That's how we look at camping meals anyway. Is the problem that you don't have portable food, that you always take special foods you don't have right now, or what?

Believe me, I understand both your frustration and your husband's and I'm not criticizing, just wondering if it would help any to brainstorm here about what you could maybe take along for a picnic without having to buy a bunch of groceries. I'm sure some of us could help you come up with a menu.

#8 ·
SD- we did skip the picnic, as a picnic for us usually involves 'treats', as in foods we don't eat often. We agreed no one's interested in doing one with pb+j's and granola bars! So we agreed to take a rain check on that one for later in the summer when we're back on our 'regular' budget. We did have a nice walk, almost 3 miles, on the local rail trails (we could have gone farther, but the kids were tiring). I made hubby's favorite, steak and cheese subs, with marked down beef shreds I bought and froze a few months ago. All I needed to buy was the sub rolls and cheese. He was very happy with it as he likes my steak+cheese subs far more than the sub shop ones around.

This week is the last week of my $80 food budget. I have decided that the next time I do this, I must be fully stocked for the month on yeast for the bread machine and occasional batch of rolls, and toilet paper. Both are rather expensive and I need both this week! $5 for yeast, $5.74 for tp on sale with coupon. I did buy some of the lesser brands rolls we hate along the way, but the good stuff we prefer is on sale this week. So out of $80 for groceries this week, $10.xx needs to go to those two items. The kids have camp next week, with no meals or snacks provided, and we're low on snack food. I will probably skip the yeast and just buy 2 cheap loaves of bread to get by, which would free up about $3. This last week is definitely the hardest!

#9 ·
Looks like you are doing very well sticking to your budget. I was trying for $75 a week, but then DH stopped for bread and brought home ice cream and some other goodies. I did not add anything to the freezer myself, and made a turkey breast on Monday. Used up several half full bags of frozen potatoes. Will try to stick to $75 or less next week also!

#11 ·
Hope nobody minds someone new chiming in! :)

I did a super job of stocking our pantry, and freezer last year. Then when I was doing some dusting/cleaning of shelves, I noticed some things were nearing their expiration date (best by date....same thing?). Soooo, I've decided to cool it for awhile, maybe into the Autumn months, and use up some of what we have.

I do want to make sure I am fully stocked for winter, because I absolutely hate trudging to the grocery store and back home when there is snow and ice involved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.