Frugal Village Forums banner

Soylent; Your Thoughts?

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  khaski 
#1 ·
Hello everybody first time posting to this place. I was looking at getting Soylent and trying it out. If you look around the net you see may good points but also it pretty neat. I wanted to get people's view points and feedback on what you all think if you were going to go this route?

Thanks,

#3 ·
Reactions: CPA-Kim
#4 ·
The long term effects of the product are unknown. The supposed benefits of the product are anecdotal, based on informal testing by the seller. There's been no proper scientific or medical study performed on either the product or its users. There's no regulation or controls on the ingredients going into the product.

In short, you have no idea what you're buying and putting into your body or what it will do. Only the word of some guy in the internet and his friends, who are selling this stuff. It might as well be snake oil.

Reactions: CPA-Kim and Zoolook
#5 ·
I am all about healthy eating and believe people thrive best on unprocessed, unaltered, organic food from a variety of sources so you get both macronutrients and micronutrients in sufficient quantities. Unless you are obese and your doctor recommends this product, I would consume natural food.

If you do decide to try this product, at least clear it with your doctor.

#9 ·
Well, if you consider that kuru (a different spelling of OP's username) is the practice of eating dead loved ones so they will always be with you, outlawed but still practiced in some parts of the world, maybe soylent green is right up their alley? ;-p (just funning, couldn't resist!!!)

#12 ·
You do have to wonder, don't you? It sounds like some kind of industrial cleaner, or something that happens when you don't make it to the bathroom in time...

#14 ·
Ha ha - if that's true, it'll be hard to market it on the shopping channel. Can anyone imagine Chuck Norris slurping this stuff?

#18 ·
Joking and lack of time-behind-the-product aside, what worries me is the lack of variety with this product. Oh sure, they claim it's 'balanced' and 'everything you need', but our bodies are not developed to have the exact same nutrients and minerals in the exact same quantities every.time.we.eat. As originally foragers, we'd get a lot of 'x' for a few weeks, then less of that and more of 'y' as another plant product came into season. Add in whatever protein we could scrounge or hunt, and there's our diet. I may not be explaining it well, but my first impression is that it's too 'even', too much of the same day in and out. Our bodies aren't built to eat like that.

If you're intrigued by it, why not order some and use them as a meal substitute once a day or every other day to give it a whirl? I just don't think I could advocate making it your ONLY source of nutrition. Too processed, not varied enough, but I see no harm in trying it as a supplement of sort if you have high hopes for it.

Reactions: Zoolook
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.