Frugal Village Forums banner

2015 Grocery Budget Challenge

64K views 635 replies 54 participants last post by  FrugalWAHM 
#1 ·
Here is a challenge for the New Year to set a goal amount for the month ( even though the challenge is for the year ) and try to stick to it for buy groceries for the month. Some people in the past have tried to lower it by a little every month until they find a comfortable amount they can live with.
When you start post how many in family and what your goal amount is. You can also say what it includes ... paper products, HBA, pet etc or what it doesn't include ... paper, HBA, pet etc.
You can post each time you shop, weekly or monthly and tell how close you are coming to your goal or how much you went over.

#2 ·
Count me in. My budget is going to be $400/month for 2 adults, 2 kids and a baby due in May. Not sure if I will have to be adding formula to the budget...

#4 ·
Last year I set $600, excluding December. This year I want to set $500. That's total eating, including eating out. It's easy to track because I only use my American Express card for groceries because I get 6% back. I'm one person but I make meals for others weekly. Does not include anything except food. I try to do mostly organic.

#6 ·
I am aiming for $3600 for the year which breaks down to $300/month or roughly $70/a week (give or take a few cents). I have a lot in the freezer that needs to be eaten and can build on these items to help keep the weekly cost down. This amount will go toward food, including bulk buying from a co-op, and HBA. Any money leftover at the end of 2015 (crossing my fingers that there is a significant amount) will be put in my change jar for that FV challenge.

#10 ·
I joined in last year and just checked in a few times. This is the year I not only want, but have to be as frugal as I can. I have been spending somewhere between $400-$450 this year. But we are in somewhat dire straits now so we need to live off of what food stamps we are receiving. There are 4 adults that live in the house, however my dd only eats here less than 1/4 of the time. We get $303. per month, so that is my goal. My month runs from the 21st to the 21st so I will try to track it from there.

#14 ·
I will join in at $75 a week and an extra $100 a month towards a SAMs club run. It is for me and DH, but also DS in his apt at college. DD is studying abroad this next semester, hence the need to budget appropriately! But, I am SO excited for her!

#15 ·
I'm in! Let's see, I think I want to try $400 a month, including paper, hba, and stockpiling! We have a lot of meat in the freezer, and we always have a very large garden. This also includes my costco run, which is usually once a month and around $100.

We have a family of 2 adults, 2 kiddos and another due in April. I plan on breast feeding her, and using garden veg to make her baby food.

#20 ·
:lol3: FW, you need more coffee? :D Welcome to the 2015 thread. :) I hope you will join us.

DH and I did a grocery run today that ended up costing us 25 cents. I bought a bag of oranges, 2 litres of milk, and 1 litre of almond milk. I used my air miles $10 back feature. My local Safeway makes you buy $75 before you can take the $10 off. But this other, bigger Safeway does it differently. I think I'll make a point of shopping there more often. It's in a big mall and we can go walking before we go shopping, which is great in our cold winter climate.

Our payday is tomorrow. So even tho I reported the 25 cents here, I'm not counting it in my January budget. January budget starts with payday...

#21 ·
I am in and shooting for 400 per month or 100 per week for 4 adults. This doesn't include pet food, cat litter or CVS deal shopping but does include any HBA or paper items that I purchase with my weekly grocery shopping trip. (I swear we must eat the TP in this household we use so darn much of it!)

We have 2 big eaters and 2 with a need for high protein and try to eat limited fat and sugar. Also DH is a big, big meat eater...so we will see

#23 ·
I've never joined a challenge but I think I'm on board for this one. My budget may seem high but I'm the family baker/cook and in addition to the three adults that live here, we almost always have a guest, neighbor, returning kid, as well as the grandson here for meals, so I make large meals with plenty of leftovers. I'm going to set my budget at a reasonable $150 a week, which includes most of our H&B, OTC medications (Tylenol, cold meds, first-aid supplies), paper, and cleaning products, but none of our pet supplies (those we buy online). Believe it or not, last year I exceeded that amount almost every week, mostly by splurging at the organic market. So, I think I can do better this year. I'll need to be careful, but I think I can do it. Thanks for the inspiration.

#24 ·
I think I would like to join in as well. It seems that every time I attempt to be strict, something happens. This yr, my daughter suddenly moved in for about 3 months and it threw everything off. I always bought more, provided her special wants and lost my focus on a regular basis. For 2 adults, one teenager and my son who shows up for lunch nearly every weekday, I would like to set it at 400.00 including H & B items.

#25 ·
I am in. My husband and I have a lofty goal to pay our house off in 2 years. Right now, I don't see how but I know that I will make a determined effort. I am hoping for a $450.00 for 2 adults and four children with another due in April. Hoping to breastfeed but has not worked with the last four so I have formula for free or cheap stored with bottles. We have a garden and chickens and are not to proud to take food given to us. Funny, we make more than the people giving us their unwanted surplus. The food is perfectly fine; they just would rather throw it out. I will try and post after each grocery shop.

#26 ·
I have $200 of my $300 budgeted grocery money to put in the grocery budget envelope. Reminded dh this challenge starts tomorrow. He works part time in a grocery store and sometimes buys the sale items when they are not really needed. I'm lucky to have a supportive husband. He felt this would be an easy challenge until I told him it includes out to eat and paper products.

#27 ·
Kim B, I completely understand the challenge when hubby works at grocery store. My DH is a produce manager and tends to bring home a lot of " great deals" Its a good thing in many ways but when they spend more than budgeted or it ends up with more than we can use resulting in freezer burn and waste it can sure be frustrating! Good luck on the challenge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.