Frugal Village Forums banner

2016 No Spend Challenge

20K views 325 replies 20 participants last post by  ermadunk 
#1 ·
Another one most all of us are familiar with. Post on whether you spent that day or did NOT spend. Monthly bills do NOT count. They are a fact of life. Set a goal of how many spend days a month you want to shoot for.

#2 ·
Yesterday and today were no spends. Hope I don't play all year by myself again

Reactions: nannyd
#3 ·
I had a no spend day yesterday but I had to get the first-of-the-month bills paid today so that and purchasing some eggs were the only expenses for today.

#4 ·
Hi Niko , I'll play , but by my rules lol. I don't count routine bills, but I will post the bills to see if I can lower any of them. Dh does most of the grocery shopping and he works at grocery store so often picks up the daily deals. If he spends on groceries it won't count. If I purchase something I will. I did give ds's girlfriend and her daughter money for their birthdays yesterday so it was a spend day. Also the garbage pick up bill and the cable/internet/landline bill were paid. DH will not get rid of cable.
Today I will be going to Aldies with dh and may pick out some fruit, vegies. Also need milk and eggs. So another spend day.
This is a hard challenge. But it helps me keep from spending some days.

#5 ·
I'm game because I just caught myself eyeballing $16 sheets and actually thinking about it. Well, they are probably crap at that price and I do not need them in any justifiable way. Yesterday was no spend. Today will be no spend. Tomorrow I have 2 MD appts, that will probably include lunch with Ddad for driving me but I will return to Amazon a $12 watch band that was too small so almost a wash

#8 ·
Yesterday and today were spend days. Tomorrow may be a grocery shop day. Then I hope to be good for a while. Trying really cut back on my spending.

#9 ·
Yesterday I had to buy gas, and today I bought lunch for me and SO because we go to lunch with my parents every Sunday when they make the 1.5 hour drive to see us. Sometimes I cook to keep the cost down, but I like to cook elaborate meals when my family comes over, so it is usually cheaper to walk across the street to the Mexican restaurant. But I will not be spending any money Monday-Friday since SO will be traveling for work and I just wake up, go to work, come home, cook dinner and repeat whenever he's gone.

#10 ·
this is a spendy week after all, 3 MD appts so that's $90, at least 2 prescriptions that I am not sure what they will cost in the new year, I pay for Ddad's lunch for taking me to two appts tomorrow and mine. Then my brother is getting married, I ordered 5 dresses from Talbot's (short, fat and hard to fit so starting process early) so it would be $100 if I keep one, $47 if a sale one fits, fingers crossed. Spent $40 on discounted spanx items for the top and the bottom halves.

But everything goes on Discover to be paid in full next month. Besides the above, aiming for no spend on anything.

#12 ·
$30 co-pay only because 1 appt canceled and the other just increased my meds, instead of prescribing all new stuff, great because I just got a 90 day supply of them. So no need to take dad to lunch because we weren't out all day. i realize the expenses are just being postponed as I will be seeing the other doc and will eventually need more of the meds, but it was nice not doing it right after the holidays.

no spend tomorrow

#14 ·
No spending for me today! Yay! It's a big accomplishment for me to not spend for a day! I have had a couple this month. I am shooting for 25. But we will see

#16 ·
No spend day yesterday or today. I saw something that I REALLY wanted to buy my sister off of Etsy and thought "It's only $16, and she will loooveeee it!" But then I reigned it in and said NO. That's a big one for me, I spontaneously buy gifts for people and need to stop. I will not spend money until Saturday...even though I'm stretching myself thin on how many Diet Pepsi cans I have. :[

#17 ·
I saw something that I REALLY wanted to buy my sister off of Etsy and thought "It's only $16, and she will loooveeee it!" But then I reigned it in and said NO. That's a big one for me, I spontaneously buy gifts for people and need to stop. :[
this is me. I saw 3 leather journals for $9 that my mom would love, I left the web page open all day and had to challenge myself that this spending has got to stop NOW, it adds up. She is perfectly happy with the journals from the dollar store. That was good for me not to give in, but it's hard isn't it?

#20 ·
spend day, MD co-pay and took Dad to Wendy's so that wasn't too spend-y but even fast food seems expensive these days. My MD ran out of samples of a med, my insurance will cover it- for $780 a month!!! Cannot do that obviously, what a racket, will have to ask for a cheaper drug when this one is good because it does not cause any cardiac side effects. Grrr. Got books from the library, my favorite (free) place!

no spend tomorrow

#22 ·
spend day, my laptop cord broke in half in the computer dock, luckily my dad could get the broken piece out and it worked fine with his charger, but had to spend $41 on a new charger, had to get Apple because one time I went OEM for power cords, I fried my laptop. Then nobody wanted to deal with dinner, so I ordered pizza. Not good today.

tomorrow have to pay drug co-pays and figure something out with that $780 a month med

#24 ·
No spend day today. I REALLLLY want to get Panda Express tomorrow at work, but instead I am roasting up a bunch of vegetables to take with my lunch tomorrow. I'm not only trying to cut back on my budget, but also eat healthier. I'm only allowing 2 days of eating out a week. Nathan's parents come on Saturday's and takes us out to dinner, then my parents come on Sunday and I pay for me and Nathan and sometimes my niece. SO really I'm only paying for one eat out day per week.

#27 ·
So I ended up spending $10 today. I "forgot" my lunch at home because I was running late for work. It wouldn't have taken more than 2 seconds to grab it while running out the door...but I guess I REALLLY wanted Panda.. and you know what? It was delicious! Plus, today was payday at work, so I'm just going to keep chugging along and take my lunch everyday next week now that I have that out of my system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.