Frugal Village Forums banner

2016 What Did You Do Frugal Today

5K views 50 replies 12 participants last post by  frugalwarrior2 
#1 ·
Continuation from the 2015 thread.

#3 ·
Today
Off work and haven't left the house. So no gas used.
Been baking cookies to mail to son in SC for his birthday. Still have to do Angel Food cake. Hope to mail tomorrow along with their Christmas stuff. Always late to the party.
Food ... meals from home. Using mostly what I already had.
Watching TV, computer and reading for entertainment.
Nothing new but everything counts.

Reactions: KimB
#5 ·
This afternoon we had our last Christmas exchange. Husband and I took my mom to a restaurant for chicken. Frugal because we had a coupon where your spend 30.00 and get 15.00 off the bill. Had a good meal and a nice visit.

#6 ·
Today?

~ I walked to the store and the bank to pick up meds and deposit money. :)
~ Ate leftovers for lunch and snack.
~ Cooked supper from scratch in half an hour flat.
~ Other than that I stayed home and planned January, and entered it in our daytimer.
~ Also did a quick business income comparison between 2014 and 2015. Hmm...there will be adjustments this year.

#7 ·
Made hot dogs for dinner I had in the freezer and used the .50 buns up. Pulled out Salsa and chips for a tv snack

Cleaned house all day and didnt leave except to drop DD at work. BF picked her up.
bought hanes underwear and JMS bras on sale w/ free shipping and coupon deals.
Yesterday I got 3 nightgowns from Kohls w/ Kohls cash and a few dollars. Free shipped of course.

Groomed the old cat

#11 ·
We always drink water, too, unless pop is included with the meal.

I bought a suitable hunk of fabric yesterday 1/2 price for a dollar at GW to make up a top with a new pattern. That way, I'll know if the pattern fits right before I ruin a more expensive piece of fabric.

#12 ·
making pitchers of plain tea again. Saves calories and sugar money. Sugar I shouldnt have anyway.

Free dental visit for DH. 100% coverage gotta love it for cleaning and exam.

Meal planning again. Came in way under budget from tapping the pantry. Going to lower the groc. budget again

Had a birthday party for the dog. Got a clearance cake,sales cookies,free busy bones for 4 w/ coupon,and toys 4/$1. and a $3.99 LN blanket at S,A. All in about $15. incl. dinner,cake and toys. So worth it.

Havent bought any clothes for myself in awhile. Just dont care to. Need to get my 1st haircut this year though.

Dh will be working from home again. We figure that saves us like $10,000 a year in gas,clothes,shoes,lunches,wear and tear on a vehicle.

#13 ·
Bought cabbage to make another batch of sauerkraut.

Turned in Swag points for $25. Swagging while on FV.

Froze all the leftovers in the fridge.

Unfrugal or Frugal? Spent too much at Sam's Club!
90/10 burger was $2.99/lb - bought 2 packs

All meals at home

#14 ·
Ya gotta eat.

Frugally, I put the kibosh on Husby's idea to go to another town to buy dirt. We've been working on the greenhouse all day and I want to get it done this weekend. Not only would we not be working on it (obviously) if we went out of town, but we'd be too tired to work on it tomorrow, too. So there. But if we get done, we might go tomorrow so maybe it's just temporary frugality.

#15 ·
found pine horse bedding to use for litter $5.79/40# as opposed to $8.98 for 40# of lousy Sams Club clay. Cant wait to try it. Large savings potential.

Made pancakes w/ cherry pie filling and maple sausage. Fed 3 for a few dollars instead of $30.?

DH driving himself to the airport. Parking will be reimbursed and some of the gas. Less gas and hassle of driving him there and back 2x for me.
W/ him gone this week less food money esp. milk.

#16 ·
Yea, we finished the greenhouse yesterday! I hope we can make it work well for us. We got the greenhouse, the big timbers it was sitting on, two tables, two steel shelving units, and a whole bunch of small accessories for $100 last year at a garage sale. I've always wanted a greenhouse but probably would have never bought one at full price ($700 or so, depending where it's sold.) But we couldn't resist it for so little money because we didn't see how we could ever try one out any cheaper. As a bonus, we didn't fully disassemble it when we brought it home, so it went together much more quickly and easily than it would have if we had bought a new one, so much less of a time investment.

In addition to the cost of the greenhouse, we've bought fifteen bags of manure/compost to do some soil improvement and will need to buy topsoil to go with it. This will be to improve soil in our existing small garden patch, and to mix with old dirt we have in containers, as well as fill up new containers. Getting set up to garden isn't cheap here so I hope it goes well for us.

#19 ·
I think it would extend your growing season at least 2 months. Walls of water extended my growing season in Idaho by two months in the spring. Gardening can be a lot of trial and error. Everywhere I move to is so different and I have to relearn all over again. Just stick with it and you will figure it out!

lol I just pulled the last of it out of the freezer and thought I better get another batch started.

#21 ·
We came home yesterday to find a panel from the greenhouse blown out. We had gusty winds yesterday and since this is a common problem with HF greenhouses, we weren't surprised. This morning we went out to look things over and come up with a plan for a permanent fix, which was supposed to be implemented this afternoon, but Husby made the mistake of sitting down in the sedative recliner and is snoring away now. We need to leave for Mom's pretty soon, so I guess it's up to me to work on the greenhouse tomorrow but it shouldn't take long and I've already cut the PVC pipes we need for the fix. Which is one thing we did frugal today. The PVC is from a plan we had to make a hoop cover for the motor home we don't have anymore. We still have the PVC and no use for it, so using up a bunch on the greenhouse will be a good thing that costs us no additional money except for some screws. They were $11 but after we used an Ace rewards point card, they only cost us $1.06. That falls right in line with my plans to put no significant money into this greenhouse until we know we like it, will use it, and will keep it. So far, so good.

I had a wrap for lunch today, left over from yesterday's lunch we took along on our shopping trip.

Yesterday we found some bargains at rummage sales including a small cabinet my mom needs which we paid $5 for. It was marked $7 but as we were discussing whether it would fit in our already-loaded truck (400 pounds of dirt for the garden project, bought on sale) the seller offered it to us for $5 so we squeezed it in. Gotta love end-of-sale bargains! We got some other things we needed for cheap, too.

We skipped most of the city-wide sales to save time, money, and gas. We are trying to cut back on garage sales but Husby wanted to go. Once we got started though, we realized we didn't really want to continue. We were fifty miles from home and knew there were fires in our area, though not close, and felt uneasy about being away from home under a red flag warning when fire conditions are so bad. So we called it a day and didn't feel a bit bad about it.

#22 ·
Stay safe and I hope the fires are put out soon.

What did we do frugal today??? I talked DH out of ordering pizza delivery for supper, I picked some cilantro that was ripe and dried it in the oven.

Unfrugal but had a good time!! We went camping for the weekend - $160 for the cabin, $50 for the bed sheets and comforter we forgot, $30 for misc food we forgot when we packed, adult beverages and then on our way home today we ate out.

#24 ·
EB-is the puzzle online w/ the paper and you could just print it down??

We cleaned-alot out of the bsmt,we mopped after the flood/backup and didnt hire anyone.

Going tomorrow to look for clearance meat from the holiday and anything else to cheap out the groc. bill. Then I'll meal plan around the pantry and that.

Going to use up the .38 clearance Wheat Thins I previously found.

#25 ·
Excellent frugal ways everyone! Today my wife and I cashed in some change at a coinstar, got a home depot gc instead of paying the fee. We've done this 2 or 3 times already. It's fun picking up stuff for the house using "bonus" money. That's what we call our collection of change.

Drove to home depot using my fuel efficient car, bought lightbulbs, a new shower head (opted to use one we already have for the downstairs bathroom. Had trouble unscrewing the old one a long time ago and sort of gave up. I was determined to take it off today and was successful. Just needed the right tool) The one we bought today went on without a problem.

We bought potting mix for the garden and a few other things. No sales though :-(

Later on I packaged something I bought for $10 and sold for $55. Score!
Used wood stain we already have for a project.
Tempted to purchase a computer game for $2, but decided not to after reading reviews.
Made dinner from food we already bought. Packaged some leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
Last night I made $107 from a gig. Had a lot of fun, spent a little money on drinks, but came out ahead.
That was my moderately frugal weekend. Unfortunately went out to eat a couple times but it was with my mother in law and friends at the show.

#26 ·
Well I thought about getting upset about DH not taking me out to eat today. It's Mother's Day in Canada. But then I decided I'd rather spend $20 for a rip snorting great BBQ at home. So I invited a friend over, stopped by Safeway for the necessary ingredients, and we had a great meal of BBQ hamburgers, Caesar salad, and strawberry shortcake. I had DH cook the hamburgers. I sliced up the sides to go with, and fried up a mess of onions and mushrooms in butter.

Our boarder had two hamburgers and two helpings of salad, and two helpings of strawberry shortcake. He commented I was a good cook, and that he thinks he's going to get fat living with us! :lol3: He was surprised we had something different to eat every night. I guess as a student he's not used to that. He just grabs a burger at McDonald's or sushi at the sushi restaurant, or Chinese take out. He's finally getting real Canadian cuisine.

Today I drove an elderly lady to church. The church provided a light lunch afterwards for free. It was enough for me. The women were also given free roses.

I ran some errands. I had some phonics games laminated for my students. It is normally $2/page, but when I balked at the price, the lady said they could laminate two sheets side-by-side on 11" x 17" lamination, and then cut them apart for me. It would only be $1.50/page then. So that's what I did. I still only had the first 3 games of 7 laminated. It was ~$25 with taxes.

DH and I window shopped computers.

Picked up some supplies for tutoring from Dollarama for ~$11 CAD.

That's about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.