Frugal Village Forums banner

My personal challenge with myself~and shopping

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Lori Biever-Launder 
#1 ·
Ok, this is IT! I'm going to just try to make THIS month an absolute no shopping for myself month. I mean HBA stuff is ok within reason, but I do NOT need another handbag or another pair of shoes or shirt or pants...NOTHING!

I spent some time today writing down what Carl brings in each month and that way I can see (yet again) what we have to work with and what we would have if I didn't spend so much.

We NEED to pay off our credit card and sometimes I forget we have that to still topay off. SO that right there will be motivation not to shop.

I want to stay on the pantry poverty challenge for myself again...I think it slightly helped last month but this month we should have a lot less parties and guests coming over so it *should be even better.

I wrote out a list for myself of what I can do for free to make myself feel fresh and new (as opposed to buying a new shirt etc.)

I can:
*Do my hair a different way
*Put on a new shade of eyeshadow that I normally don't use
*Give myself a french pedicure
*Take a bubble bath with music and a candle lit
*Trying a different exercise routine/workout
*Wear a different pair of earrings
*give myself a foot pampering with some homemade scrubs
*rotate my shirts so it seems like I'm getting out something new

I think I might also do something like, buy a new food product while grocery shopping to get my mind off of clothes. Nothing expensive...but just something I've never tried or don't normally buy but would like to...like Smart beat margarine, or Rye bread.

I also want to try crocheting a christmas stocking for ayla, and finish sewing a shirt I started just recently (I got my bobbin working on my machine!!)

Also if worse comes to worse I will just go through my give away pile and rethink the items and maybe pull something out of their to wear. Or even maybe cut a pair of shorts up to sew some fabrc in the middle and make it into a skirt like I see on the racks now days!

I also wrote down over and over "I do not need to buy new clothes!"

I think this is something I'm going to have to chant to myself each day to remember and make myself strong.

I had started using money from my change jar to go shopping with, and that HAS to stop or i'll never get anything saved!

I just needed to post this to keep myself in check, if I share it with you it seems like it's a REAL plan that I need to stick to :)

oh!!! I just got a great idea! For every day that I go without doing any unnessary shopping, I'll put a sticker on the calendar!!! I know it seems sort of first grade-ish, but heck I like stickers!!! It will be nice to be able to see a complete month full of stickers!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a great challenge for you, Heather! You have planned it well and I know you will make it! And the sticker on the calender is great! I like stickers too!:D Go, Heather, go! You can do it---no shopping for a month! :yippee:

#3 ·
I read your post about shopping but I didn't know what to say.

I think this is very courageous of you and I wish you all the best.

I have just started my own de-clutter and 'domestic godess' (LOL) i.e. housework challenge ~ I am using stickers too, I just didn't have the nerve to tell anyone! (I even hide my 'chart' at home lol)

I really hope you do well ~ I'll be thinking of you.

#4 ·
Good Luck!

Hey, I love stickers too and I never know what to do with them. I need to come up with a challange for myself now. :D.
Top secret: I stick scratch and sniff smiley face stickers on the back of all the bills I send. I hope I'm either brightening the day of somebody or at least giving someone a little chuckle.

Good Luck!

#5 ·
Good luck Heather! I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines. If you feel yourself wavering just holler & we'll talk you down,lol.:)

#6 ·
Yes I f you feel the need to go to Target post first I think somebody is always around and we will talk you down. I know how much it means to you for you and Carl to do something together. Could you ask him to reward you with some act that means a lot to you that does not involve a store? Like this week if you go all week with no shopping for unnecessities could he take you and Ayla to the ocean for the afternoon?

#8 ·
Oh girls thank you all SO much for all your posts!!! :) It REALLY helps so much!

Mylittle4, that's a GREAT idea about getting him to take us to the beach if I'm good! ;)

rhiana, that's so cute about the scratch n sniff stickers! :)

heavensent, that's so cool you have a chart of stickers! :) And way to go with starting/doing your challenge as well :)

I will definitly be posting for help if I feel like I'm getting the urge to go shopping. You guys are the best!~

#11 ·
Wishing you luck Heather.:clap:
Jeanna

#13 ·
Good luck--I hope you will rub off on me! ;)

I've been out of control buying unnecessary things like purses, new bed sheets, lotions, clothes, etc.

Of all the times in my life--this is the WORST time to spend money frivolously.

Best of luck to you!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.