Frugal Village Forums banner

June's Grocery Challenge

3K views 62 replies 21 participants last post by  Lori Biever-Launder 
#1 ·
I met my goal by $112.21 in May. I'm going to lower by goal this month by $100.00 and put my goal at $250.00. It is going to mean being really frugal in my grocery shopping and using coupons the best way I can.

This is for a family of 5, but does not include pet food.

#2 ·
Man, i can't believe that June will be here in just a few day's. I got coupons in the mail today from my grandmother that I need to go thru and make my list so I will have it ready when I go to the store Monday. With Joe working 5 day's a week at a Resturant, I think we can keep our total under $200 (I hope so)

#4 ·
I'm going to try this for the first time this month. I'll set mine at $150.00 for me and Malcom and of course our 4 legged baby - Daisy. :D

Do I post what I spend for each visit here?

#5 ·
I think I am ready to join in June! I will set my goal at $250 since I need to get meat from Costco. My goal amount does not include formula and diapers-but it does include baby food.

#6 ·
This seems like a great challenge for me for the month of june...

I have a family of 5, I will go.... 350.00 for the month of june, NOT including pet food.

this is going to be tuff... I dont have alot of meat in the freezer, and the panty... isnt as stocked as it should be.

should be an interesting month.... :D

#8 ·
I'm in for June!! I went a little over for May and need to make sure I keep it under in June!!

I'm keeping mine at $215 for food and $70 for non food.
I didn't even come close to going over on the nonfood though. Maybe I should put a little of that over into the food!! lol
No, not this time!

#10 ·
I went over a bit in May, so I'm going to stay at $150 for June. It'll be tough, cuz we're out of meat and chicken, but I can do it! This includes all things we need at ShopRite, including health & beauty, etc.

I went today & spent $31.11.

Total $31.11
Goal for June: $150

#12 ·
I was bad last month and didn't keep track. :( Well, I didn't really buy anything either. I did get a lot of freebies, topped it off yesterday with a month's worth of free dog food! May was like this for me last year too. I think I spent $100 last May. We sorted through the freezers and have enough meat to last for, well, a really long time. I'm just going for free or really cheap stuff again this month. I will allow extras for ds#1, though, since we have over $1000 on the food stamp card. Must be rough, huh? Why don't you all come over and we'll cook out these pork chops? Bring a side dish!

#14 ·
June's Grocery Challenge:
I hope that we will Spend only $250.00 for the Whole Month of June.
I am trying to cut our Grocery Budget Down from $400.00 where Dh set it at to $250.00 and on down from that to $100.00 a month.
I hope.
We have 3 Cats, a 4 Year old DD, Two Adults, and soon some fishes.
Our Dog Passed away on Mother's Day Weekend.

#15 ·
I need to account better. I tend to add everything that I buy rather than separate it into catagories. So My goal for June is separate all my reciepts and keep track of Food, Non-food, and pet supplies.

Goals--$350 food
$ 75 non-food
$ 30 cat supplies

This is for 5 people--me, dh, ds19, 16 and dd almost 13. So its like feeding 5 adults all the time.

#18 ·
Michelle said:
If I told you all what I spent today, you'd die from the shock :)
Ok Michelle, now you got me all curious....just how much did you spend and on what????:confused: You can't just put something out there like that...not when you have obsessive cupulsive people like me living int he Village!:toothy:

#19 ·
i went to the green grocers and most of my veggies for the week
eggs 99cents x-large got 3
lettece 99cents
tomtos 79cents ect

got really good deals for 12.60

goal 250.0
spent 12.60
left 237.40

but i still need to go to bj's and i need whole wheat flour

#21 ·
well got back from bj's and spent 40.00.. man have things gotten costly or i must be getting really cheap..i spent 9.99 on cheese slices alone..

goal 250.00
spent 52.60
left 197.40

im supposed to go to shoprite but i may just skip that trip
left

#22 ·
I'm setting my goal at $225 for 2 adults and 2 kids age 4 & 8. I came in right around $250 last month.
So far this month: $24.13
Meijer had bnls, sknls chicken breast on sale for $2/lb and I had 4 wine tags (I FINALLY found some!) so I got 4 of the smallest packages I could find :)
I also got a $10 gift card for transferring an Rx to another local grocer, so is used that to stock up on their 1/2 price cereal sale and .50/dozen eggs.
$200.87 left for June

#23 ·
Well, I did some major shopping today. I was out or almost out of alot of things I use everyday. I didn't need to buy any meats though. And I got some great loss leader items. Here's the list:
At Rite Aid I spent $5.47 and got:
28 ct scrubbing bubbles wipes
mennon speed stick deodorant
110 ct olay vitamins
26 oz windex

At Hannaford I spent $14.75 and got:
loaf of ecce ciacatta bread from the bakery (free)
4 lbs i can't believe it's not butter
6 cans diced tomatoes
large canister of raisins
8 cans tomato sauce
3 lbs granny smith apples
10 lbs russet potatoes

At the Dollar Tree I spent $6.00 and got:
2 bags of flavored chips
2 bottles of parsley
4-1 lb bags of pasta

At Walmart I spent $28.08 and got:
8 ozs beef jerkey
variety pack crackers
2 ct venus razor blades
8 ct mach 3 razor blades
bottle of dandruff shampoo

At the bread outlet I spent $2.49 and got 3 giant loaves of bread

At BJ's wholesale club I spent $118.60 and got:
5000 sheets computer paper
4 lbs shredded pizza cheese
22 qts dry milk
4 lbs shredded cheddar cheese
2 lbs bananas
5 lbs carrots
500 paper plates
160 slices american cheese
5 lbs cream cheese
gallon of milk
120 ozs chunk pineapple
1000 sq ft aluminum foil
6 lbs 10 ozs canned peaches
6 lbs 10 ozs nacho cheese sauce

At Shaw's I spent $6.71 and got:
6 boxes kraft mac n cheese
2 small cans mandarin oranges
2 boxes nutri grain bars
6 boxes pasta roni
2 pouches ben's ready rice
3 lbs cat food

Total=$112.58 for food and $69.52

#24 ·
So far this month I've spent $77.99 on groceries, leaving me with $172.01 to spend for the rest of the month.

I've used $3.25 in coupons
I've gotten 1 free shampoo ($2.99)

I do have a few extra coupons though, so I'm waiting for a few extra $$ and a good sale and then I'll go when its double coupon day in Brandon. Two stores are now doing double coupon days, every Wednesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.