My grocery challenge for November
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile My grocery challenge for November

A few weeks ago, DH & I decided to try to build up an emergency fund. A la Dave Ramsey.  As of yet, we don’t generally have one…..or at least a serious one. We decided that November would be the month we’d do it. Our goal is to stash away $400 this month. I’ve got $100 already, so that would put us at $500......not too shabby. Normally this wouldn’t be extremely difficult, but we’ve had some curve-balls thrown at us this past week.

• I need some more dental work & DH does, too. This is going to cost us $700. We don’t have insurance.
    • Both kid’s birthdays are in November. I’ve already got the gifts & makin’s for cakes. Dh is taking Miss A to the football game on her birthday. We’ve got the tickets, but they’ll need spending money. I set aside $30. This is a surprize to her….she has no clue. J
    • We’re not into big family parties, so it’ll just be us. Ashleigh wants to have a friend spend the night, but since she’ll have to leave here at 9am, that’s not going to work. I haven’t given her a definate answer for the friend, yet. I think I’m going to come down with some tummy ailment &amp; it just won’t work to have a friend over. (wink, wink) She’s wanted to go to a game for years, but we could never afford the tickets until this year &amp; it just so happens to be <B>on</B> her birthday.
    • Thanksgiving at family’s houses, I’ll bring food. I’d like to bring wine, but it’s not going to be in the budget.
    • Ashleigh needs to pay for a couple things at school. One is an FFA jacket to the tune of $45. The other is the yearbook &amp; I think it’s $55.
    • We got the PPV Game 2 weeks ago on satellite, and we’ll have to pay for that this month. $30.

So, we’ve got a few things not normal in our budget to make this more challenging. We could just postpone our goal, but I’d really like to try to do it still. Christmas gifts are all done. I got that done last weekend. The only thing left to cut is groceries.

My grand total for groceries for November will be about $65. I say about because if the utliities and such are a little lower than planned, I can use that extra money, too.

Now, I’ve got 2 fully <B>packed</B> freezers, and my pantry is pretty well stocked. I think I’m ok on all H&amp;B products for the month, and cleaning supplies &amp; laundry stuff. I will possibly need fresh fruits &amp; canned &amp; frozen veggies. Milk, OJ for Miss K, and simple staples like macaroni &amp; noodles &amp; probably flour.

I’ve never gone this low with a budget before. I’ve gone as low as $150, but that was several years ago when things were cheaper.

I do have the EF to fall back on if there’s a crisis with the food, but I’d really like to stay away from that.&nbsp; Funny thing is.....I don't have any money left from my October goal.&nbsp; &nbsp; So it's not like I can stock up.&nbsp;

So, here’s my challenge for November. Anyone else is welcome to join me if they’d like.&nbsp;&nbsp;I’d like to post my progress so that I can stay accountable &amp; not cave in and take the easy route. Anything worth having is worth sacrificing for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll join in the challenge with you Jamee ...I will post my budget amount later...I have to go over my bills and other expenses!!!!....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would love to join I blew my last grocery budget but I also stocked up and bought some items in bulk so we shall see, i have to look at bills and budget I will let you know my amounts...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will join in on the challange. I will try to post tommorow what I will set my budget at. I have really been bad about actually having a budget and sticking to it. But with higher energy costs and Christmas coming I need to get real about it.
    Jeanna

Wife to Ken for 27 years
    DS 25
    DD 20

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I'll try again tomorrow. --Mary Anne Radmacher

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jamee, you can do it! I applaud your determination to reach your goal along with other challenges. Thanks for posting today. I have been in a funk over the holidays and other expenses and am finding it difficult to meet my goal. But after reading your great attitude, I am in! I have a full freezer and pantry so I should be able to save quite a bit of the grocery budget.

In November I have to bring fruit salad to a party for 100 people, host Thanksgiving and host a birthday party. I have nothing bought for the party or Thanksgiving so I will set my budget at 250 for November. That is 150 less than my standard 400 per month.

To reach this goal, I am going to try and plan a months of menus using ingredients on hand. That will allow me to buy the items I need for the parties and still meet my goal.
    Barb
    July 2014 Goals
    Grocery challenge 500.00/0
    Menu planning - 5/1
    Christmas 2014 50/0
    Swim with Dolphin Fund 100/00
    Bedroom carpet and redecorate fund 100/00

Time Goals
    Exercise 3x per week - walk/bike/boflex/dvd/yoga class 15/1

Health Goals
    Drink 32 ounce water or herbal tea daily 31 days/3
    Sleep - retire no later than 11 in bed as opposed to on chair

UFO July - Hem Maddies dress/weed flower beds again

Every little tiny bit helps to get rid of that debt

Success is not determined by how smart we are, It is determined by the decisions we make

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of my biggest tools will be my substitution list.

I'm going to "make-do" with what I have & try to not buy anything. I have to make sure I have good balanced meals for the kids, though, so that's where I'll need to buy certain things.

I still need to get to the freezers to organize them better, but I know I've got at least 6 months of food. Maybe I'll push this another month.

Also, my biggest problem is that by the evening, I'm so tired & burnt out, that I get a bit lazy. I need to stay motivated. Also, nutritious snacks will be a challenge.

That's why I posted my challenge & goal....I need the accountability. It's not quite the normal run-of-the-mill grocery challenge. Who spends only $65 on groceries????

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll join as well. I need to work the budget and then will post what my goal is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's great..I will join your challenge. I will have to look through my stuff and bills to see how low I could budget it for. I am about to go over my monthly grocery budget for this month

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think I'll join this challenge too. I so need to figure out how to lower this grocery budget. I just can't seem to budge below $250cdn. for 3 adults. Seems I should be able to. That's $214US/mth. Surely I can do better than that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

count me in my budget is 150Euro ( approx US$180) for 2 adults and 2 kiddies, I'm doing my monthly big shop tomorrow for the next month and have just written meal plans and a shopping list so hopefully I can make the budget or under this month!
    Good luck to everyone else!
    Rachael
    Wife to Dec
    Mum to Ciara, Jamie and Jack

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can do it Rachael!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You know I'm here cheering you on

I know you can do it!

If you need anything lmk..k?!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After thinking about it, I am going to try to star around 300 for the month of November. It may be a little hard with Thanksgiving and having to buy extra for cooking for that, but I am gonna try my hardest and hopefully will succeed. I figured $75 a week should keep it right at $300

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay.. I know its not November yet LOL, but our payday falls on the 28th so my month starts from now!.
    I did good today, I stuck to my list, got no extras even though I was very tempted. I have all fruit/veg, meat, toiletries, washing powder, baby nappies and wipes, mixes , pasta, rice, cheese, yogherts and a whole load of other stuff in there. If I stick to meal plans there should be no more visits to the shop except for extra milk which I have enough Euros for for the month. I'm feeling pleased with myself!

so, thats me, good luck to you Jamee and everyone else! looking forward to seeing you all post!
    Rachael
    Wife to Dec
    Mum to Ciara, Jamie and Jack

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today, when I read the newspaper, I had to force myself to overlook the grocery ads. It's a habit. I don't *need* anything........I *know* there's good sales, though.....AAAAG! Its like withdrawls!! LOL!

We're camping with the in-laws this weekend. This was last minute....like most everything else in my life LOL). So, the food we're taking is not necessarily "normal" camping food for us. I've got to use what I've got in the freezer. A little more work for me, but I can handle it. MIL always brings too much food anyway.....gotta love her!

I know November is still a few days away, but since I've reached and exceeded my October goal...I feel like it's November. My challange has begun!

Since I'll have so much time, I'm going to really focus on HM nutritious snacks I can make & side dishes to go with my plethora of meat in the freezer. I have lots of frozen fruit, too. Good thing it's cold...DH is more likely to eat a casserole in the colder weather.

Going to try to stay out of the store until *next* weekend. I know I can handle that.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast