Number of days from a tank of gas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Number of days from a tank of gas

Since January 1 I've started a challenge with myself... to see how many days I can make a tank of gas last in my car. I was consistently filling up every other weekend, or 14 days. I've slowly improved on that, and tomorrow I will fill up for the first time in 23 days! I'm trying for a month, but that may be a pretty ambitious goal

Of course, sometimes things come up, like when I had to drive a relative downstate last month. But during ordinary times, it hasn't been too difficult:

* I keep a list of everywhere I need to go, and make a planned 'run-around' day once a week.
    *If I think I need something, I try to do without rather than jumping in the car to go get it (saves even more $$ than the gas!).
    *I drive the speed limit, and try to take it easy on the gas pedal.

My car is average, getting about 21 mpg. My dh does keep it in excellent running condition, and regularly checks to tire pressure, which really helps.

I just can't afford to pay these gas prices

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can only dream about 14 days for a gallon let alone 23. I am very lucky if I can go 8 or 9 but I think it's usually 6. For the most part that's just using the car for going to work and back and for my boys soccer practice and games.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can go almost 2 weeks on a full tank of gas, if I don't visit my mom on the weekend, it's a 2 hour round trip car ride. I can go just about 2 weeks back and forth to work each day and a random errand, if I need to drop off mail at the post office or run to a store for a sale they are having.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I get a little over 400 miles off a tank of gas. I also try to compact my errands to the days I know I will already be out & about. Which right this second is Tuesdays & Thursdays since those are the days I have to drive my son to class. If you can make a tank stretch 23 days, you are doing great!!! Either that or you aren't going anywhere !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, for the longest time it was 14 days per tank. When I began challenging myself, I focused on trying to make it last a day or two longer. It just goes to show how much more frugal we can be if we put our minds to it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I tried this in January, and went the whole month - and I ended doing probably a little more driving than usual. I had maybe 1/8 tank left. But with the price of gas steadily rising, I fill it every couple of weeks or so, or whenever I see a good price.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mikandmari View Post
    Well, for the longest time it was 14 days per tank. When I began challenging myself, I focused on trying to make it last a day or two longer. It just goes to show how much more frugal we can be if we put our minds to it
    this is a great tip you have .dgs run`s out so much grrrr.
    but when he get`s his own job and pay`s for his own gas. I want to see how long a tank will last me .I only get out 1 or 2 times a week

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mombottoo View Post
    I get a little over 400 miles off a tank of gas. I also try to compact my errands to the days I know I will already be out & about. Which right this second is Tuesdays & Thursdays since those are the days I have to drive my son to class. If you can make a tank stretch 23 days, you are doing great!!! Either that or you aren't going anywhere !
    what kind of vehicle do you have. I have a ford focus. I`ve never figured mine . I need to do this sometime.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got gas 9 days ago and I have just used the first little line off of Full. So I have not even used 1/4 of 3/4 of my tank.

This week is spring break so I may be able to get through the entire rest of the month without getting gas.

I have $57 for gas for the rest of the month.
    The math never lies, budget in INK!

EF $200

Camper (Start March 2013) $4645.26/ $2,869.19
    Student Loan#2 Start May 2013) $4196.45/ $3542.70

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I haven't gotten gas since 2/5/08 and I have alittle less than half a tank. I am pretty happy with myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

this is a good challenge but I'll have to fill my car up with gas before I start...

which could be weeks.

( I've really stoppped a lot of driving around and make lists to go to the store so I can shop less)

There are 3 stores I can walk too...
    so I can go a longgggggggggggg time
    on a tank of gas being I'm a stay at home housewife, no kids.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually go to the gas station once every ten days or so. That's a great challenge to stretch the days. With the good weather coming, I'll be doing alot more walking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You guys are awesome!! I fill up every 5-6 days and Sat. it was 96.00 at 3.25 a gallon. This is one area that I'd love to save on, but it's impossible. MIL keeps DD and she lives 30 minutes opposite from my house and opposite of work. So I drive about 90 miles before I get to work and then 90 miles before I'm home in the afternoon. It's either this or daycare, and daycare's just not an option for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can go all month if I can keep DBF out of the truck! I only work 2.6 miles away from home and I don't go out anywhere (maybe the library). I try to grocery shop only once a month.
    Stacey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I'll post to make everyone feel better. My car has a tiny gas tank (only holds 10 gallons maybe). I have to fill up almost every 5 to 6 days depending on my work schedule. Did I mention the gas gauge isn't accurate? So after 100 miles I just fill up.

May Groceries $228/275 Pet Supplies $109/130
    Coupons $24.99
    April Groceries $280/275 Pet Supplies $118/130
    Coupons $36.44
    Coupon Saving 2014 $153.91
    2013 $404.44
    2012 $395.16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast