Frugal Village Forums banner

Mother's sayings.......

5K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  frugalfranny 
#1 ·
I always really miss my mom about this time of year...when everyone else is celebrating.

But have been thinking about her and some of the 'sayings' that she had/said to me while growing up......

"Wreck of the Hespers" -- (which when investigated should have been wreck of the hesperus ---a poem by Longfellow) now.....you could look like the 'wreck of the hespers'..........or the house....or the yard........just about anything.

The other that I thought of this week was: something looks like a 'rats nest'.........this was usually your hair! I laughed as I wondered just how many rats nests my mom ever saw.

What about you........in honor of Mother's Day......what are some of the 'sayings' your mom used to/on you while growing up???
Are you using those same ones on your children?

#2 ·
Glad you have these great memories!!

Need to think about this one as she passed away over 35 years ago and was a very quiet person!! Hmmmm now....

Reactions: frugalfranny
#5 ·
Pretty is as pretty does....

#7 ·
So and so (a child) is having it on their stoips. It meant a child was acting nutty and crazy (mostly my brother) and had too much energy to burn. I always used it when DS was little. :)

#10 ·
My mom always said 'She's busy as a merchant marine'....or a 'cranberry merchant'....I have always imagined that the 2 of those were really, really busy....lol.

She also always said 'don't judge another too harshly until you've walked a mile in their shoes' (I know that's not original to her but she repeated it often).

I miss my mom this time of year too.......:sigh:

#13 ·
My mom always said 'She's busy as a merchant marine'....or a 'cranberry merchant'...

I miss my mom this time of year too.......:sigh:
Yes, my mom used the 'cranberry merchant' saying too :laugh: I had forgotten that one!

I lost my Mom a month ago so this is going to be a very hard Mother's Day for me. I've spent a lot of time these last couple of weeks remembering all the wonderful things about her.......I miss her so very much!
I, too, am sorry calimomx2. We have the memories though.

It has been about 7 years for me and it is only getting slightly easier. I truly hate Mother's Day for that reason and the fact, that I always called and talked to only her on MD. I think MD will always leave a bigger hole in my heart than the day she died....3 days after their 65 year anniversary.

#11 ·
I lost my Mom a month ago so this is going to be a very hard Mother's Day for me. I've spent a lot of time these last couple of weeks remembering all the wonderful things about her.......I miss her so very much!

Some of the things she always said....

"don't worry so much, things always have a way of working out for the best."
"don't expect things from others you aren't willing to do yourself"
"I'll love you forever and ever....no matter what!"

#12 ·
calimom, I'm so sorry you lost your mom. It's so hard when we lose the people we love so much, but mothers especially take a big piece of our hearts with them when they pass. I know you miss her terribly, but you do have your memories, and nobody or anything can take that from you. I hope you share them with your own family. Remembering your mom with others will truly help you heal.

Hugs!

theresa :)

#14 ·
My Grandmother~very much my Mother in countless ways

Go air yourself out~means go outside and play
As slow as molasses in January

My Mother

A place for everything and everything in its place

#17 ·
My Mom used to always say Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Usually so fast that they all blended together. She said this so much that I am suprised that they weren't my first words. Also my parents had the brilliant idea of naming us all with L's-Linda, Lisa, Laurie and Liane, so she was always calling us by the wrong name-lol.

#18 ·
Also my parents had the brilliant idea of naming us all with L's-Linda, Lisa, Laurie and Liane, so she was always calling us by the wrong name-lol.
This is all soooo funny. Liane, I don't think that had much to do with the letter.....just a parent thing. Both my parents would do a 'rundown' for name......they would say the first syllable of each name until they got to the right one!! :laugh: What was funny is that it always started with the oldest.

Let's do a dad one at Fathers Day. That will be colorful.
I would go for that but mine post might have to have quite a few 'symbols' in some of them. :laugh:

My dad was the only one that would swear......sometimes....but my mother ---as us kids used to say: "wouldn't say sh** if she had a mouthful!" If she was REALLY MAD and wanted to say 'damn' it was ALWAYS 'dang it'.......we knew what she meant!

#20 ·
Oh..this is too funny......my mom said it.........BUT...she would never swear so it was: "wouldn't say shoot --and you know what I mean --if she had a mouthful"........:laugh: From her it meant that someone was prim and proper.......a compliment, I guess.

this has been fun......hope some more people post....love hearing some of the things said.

#21 ·
I want to say sorry to all those who have lost their Moms. I cannot even imagine how difficult that would be. Although my Mom drives me bonkers sometimes I wouldn't trade her for the world. :)

#23 ·
My grandmother was mom to me.

When she figured you were telling a fib, she would say "Say buttermilk 3 times!" If you cracked a smile or laughed, she knew you were lying.

"I'm madder than an ol' wet hen" meant to move your rear because whatever you had done, had her teed off!

"Do you want some sassafras tea?" She would say this meaning..do you want a spanking? Best way to get her message across in public, to this day I have NEVER tried sassafras tea b/c of this LOL!

LOL It all makes her sound mean but she's not at all. She does have her bluff in with everyone though, even my dh! But I know different. She's just a "sassy ol cuss" (as she would say).

#25 ·
Thanks Mrs Piggy Bank and LynnLC...........I hadn't heard some of the ones you posted MPB.........love them.

Lynn...that was so funny! I remember a BF's dad using that one for her hair too.

You gotta wonder where some of these came from or had they heard them too?

#26 ·
Great thread. My mom's been gone 16 years but I still miss her. Some of hers

"Slower than molasses in January"
"You look like the rag pickers kids."~we were in torn up clothes
"You look like the wild woman of Borneo"~messy hair
"Hotter than Billy Blue Blazes"
She would say "SH------sugarfoot. LOL. SHe was not one to swear.

#29 ·
I sometimes need an audio reminder of what Moms say since I lost mine so many years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.