Need Help/Advice with Crochet Project
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need Help/Advice with Crochet Project

Ok, I finally got drawn to purchase some yarn at the dollar store. Anyway, I really do not know alot about crocheting and only know how to make a chain and then work on that. So I plan on making a really long wide scarf, more of a long rectangle so I can wear as a shawl or scarf. Anyway, the first 5 - 6 rows came out horrible but I was able to fix it so the rest of the piece looks ok. Is it possible for me to take out those rows by basically pulling the yarn and unrolling the stiches. Then using the same yarn start crocheting it back in to the piece, without cutting the pulled yarn off. The yarn is a type of polyester mohair type so it is a little difficult to work with. I am trying to atleast fix the piece so it doesn't look so much like a beginner made it. The one end I want to fix is larger at the end then narrows as more rows are added. You can tell where I finally got the rows even and the same type "tension" on the stitch going.

The yarn stated to use a 6mm crochet hook. Does this mean the smallest hook you can use with the yarn? I can't help but wonder if I could use a larger hook ending up with larger loops. This shawl is really going to be warm and heavy.

Any websites that are good for beginners. This is going to be a more expensive project that I anticipated, but it is keeping me busy and away from food. Thanks in advance on any advice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/
    Ripping out a project is not limited to beginers-so don't beat yourself up about it.The recommened size hook is the one that has been used with the yarn to give you the tension you need to make your work the correct size,this is very important with a sweater etc.but for a scarf tension isn't that important as you can make it any size you want.With a mohair yarn ripping out can be difficult as the yarn could be damaged,a plainer yarn(less fuzzy) is better for beginners but if you have your heart set on it I would just crochet a chain to desired width and keep going 'til it's as long as you want it.Good luck and remember there are no crochet police

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I went to get some more yarn at the dollar store only to find they did not have any more yarn that I needed. So I started taking the piece apart which is a pain because it is mohair, but I will be frugal and save $2. LOL That or the kitties are getting a nice little blanket. Since it is mohair and keeping the cat hair off, they won't be getting a blanket. Sorry kitties.

Thanks for the website.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am 53 and have been crocheting since I was 9 and I still have to Frog (unravel) things so when you learn this wonderful art frogging still happens...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with Pamela. I've been crocheting since I was 8 and that was 40 years ago. Don't beat yourself up about ripping things out. Do it. You're only going to move on to another crochet project anyway. Might as well fix the one you're going with right now. You're doing great, as far as I can tell, shoiji.

freepatterns.com is the site I use most. It has all kinds of crafts there. Lots of knitting and crochet. Also, any brand of yarn usually has a site for patterns and help. Vogue has some really cool stuff, but it's more for advanced needleworkers. Vogue also has some instructions for knitting. I haven't tried Vogue patterns yet. I like looking, though.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by CrazyHomemaker; 03-28-2009 at 12:14 AM.