Need advice from knitters
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need advice from knitters

I cannot knit. My mom tried to teach me years ago... Anyway I love this sweater and plan to pay someone to make this for me. It seems complicated ( my professional opinion lol) I want the sweater exactly except the decorative ball motif on the front. Any ideas how much something like this would cost? Thanks in advance.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTcamden.html

Lynn

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not sure how much it would cost to pay someone else to knit it, but I suspect it would be more than it would cost for you to sign up for a knitting class. The sweater doesn't look super complicated, but you might try taking the pattern to a shop that sells fiber and knitting supplies (a real one, not a Wal-Mart or such) and asking the store personnel. It would take me a long time, because I would be new at it and make a lot of mistakes. It would take an expert knitter less time, but she would charge you for her professional time.

My little knitting shop has a weekly project workshop, where you can bring in whatever you are working on, and knit there in the store, with the employees helping you through spots you don't understand. Once you got the basics of knitting down, that might be an option, if you can't find someone within your price range to knit it for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cool sweater. No way could I help you, but I'll be interested to find out how you fared!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    Not sure how much it would cost to pay someone else to knit it, but I suspect it would be more than it would cost for you to sign up for a knitting class. The sweater doesn't look super complicated, but you might try taking the pattern to a shop that sells fiber and knitting supplies (a real one, not a Wal-Mart or such) and asking the store personnel. It would take me a long time, because I would be new at it and make a lot of mistakes. It would take an expert knitter less time, but she would charge you for her professional time.

My little knitting shop has a weekly project workshop, where you can bring in whatever you are working on, and knit there in the store, with the employees helping you through spots you don't understand. Once you got the basics of knitting down, that might be an option, if you can't find someone within your price range to knit it for you.

lol Are you allowed to cry and throw yarn at walls in knitting class? One row would take me a month minimum. hehe You have sparked my interest though. Maybe I will look into to it. I might start with something small like...a doll scarf.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Once you get the whole knit/purl thing down, everything else is just a variation on that. I've never seen someone cry and throw yarn, but I've heard some colourful language in there! I've taken knitting, crocheting, and spinning classes at two different knit shops, and they both had "project" nights, where you could bring your project in and get some help. Neither charged for it. It was good business for them, because typically people would buy needles, yarn, etc. while they were there.

If it has been years since you tried, I'd give it another go, and with a professional teacher. Everyone in my beginning knitting class was knitting well by the end of our class (approx 2 hours) and I even saw a few of them in the sock class the next month!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks madhen. You have motivated me to take a class. I had been thinking about it... but needed the extra "push". Won't be advanced enough for the sweater so I'll try to find someone local who needs extra cash for X-mas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good for you!! The classes are a lot of fun, and you are with people who are at your skill level, so you don't feel like an idiot. I think you'll find yourself motivated, after that first class, to keep going.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1. you can find the yarn they recommend here: http://www.knitpicks.com
    2. The cost per ball is between $3 and $5, depending on what color you choose.
    3. You'll need between 9 and 18 balls.
    4. Figure $10 for needles, if you don't have them.
    5. So, around $40-$100 for materials.

I recommend that you join Ravelry (it's free) and start reading the boards for knitting ideas, tips, problems, etc. I see that there are 50+ projects, 20 of them with photos, of the 'camden' sweater from knitty. Some people on Rav have posted comments; some have used different yarns. It's worth the time to join.

Happy knitting.
    Last edited by Early Bird; 11-11-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Please post back about how your class goes (if you take one)

I just signed up to take a knitting class on Saturday morning. I've been wanting to learn for awhile and never get around to it, so I'm just going to do it. I hope I can learn how to do this. It's so intimidating!

100% Debt Free.... home, car & credit cards.
    Blogging the simple life at: www.sageandsimple.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Early Bird View Post
    1. you can find the yarn they recommend here: http://www.knitpicks.com
    2. The cost per ball is between $3 and $5, depending on what color you choose.
    3. You'll need between 9 and 18 balls.
    4. Figure $10 for needles, if you don't have them.
    5. So, around $40-$100 for materials.

I recommend that you join Ravelry (it's free) and start reading the boards for knitting ideas, tips, problems, etc. I see that there are 50+ projects, 20 of them with photos, of the 'camden' sweater from knitty. Some people on Rav have posted comments; some have used different yarns. It's worth the time to join.

Happy knitting.

Thanks! Didn't even think of Ravelry... I am joining. I will post when I start class. Kinda out of my comfort zone to try something new but I'm going to "man up". lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great sweater. Have you tried the website knittinghelp.com ? It is where I learned to knit and I think that YankeeMom learned there also. They have great videos that you can watch and each stitch is very easily and plainly explained. I sat with my needles and yarn and my laptop on the table and followed along with the videos and rewatched the stitches that gave me trouble over and over again. They have forums that you can get help in also. Oh yeah, the best part~ it's free .