Frugal Village Forums banner

Do you use knitting free knitting patterns from the internet?

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Dave'sGirl 
#1 ·
For the needlework project, I used a free knitting pattern for mitts. I know it's wrong when it gets to decreasing and finishing the mitt. Now I'm having to just sort of wing it, which is very frustrating.

Do you use free knitting patterns from the net and if so, how accurate are they?

#4 ·
I use free patterns for charity crafting, mostly baby clothes and mostly crocheted. I've used free knitting patterns for things like socks. I have not made anything big (like afghans or adult clothing) from a free pattern. The small projects have mostly come out just fine, though sometimes the patterns aren't well written or edited and tested as are most published patterns.

On the other hand, the worst pattern I ever used was actually a published crochet pattern. It was in an American School of Needlework crochet booklet for a table topper in filet crochet. For some reason, instead of a chart it was a worded pattern, which I thought was kind of stupid because filet is usually charted and easy to follow. Neverthless I decided to make it. I spent a couple of days on it, and as over half way done when I ran into a mistake. I ripped and re-crocheted three times, and each time did not come out right. It was a mistake in the dang pattern and I had to give up on that project. I was living in China at the time, years ago, and didn't have internet access yet, so it wasn't like I could easily contact the publisher to find out if they had published errata.

#5 ·
I think most of the patterns are correct, my problem is in their wording. I can't tell you how many times I start something and find I don't know what I'm doing only to finally figure out I just don't know what they are saying! When I step back, look at my work and what I know, I eventually figure out how to do it on my own, either by looking at the picture or looking at my work and trying to figure out how to get to the next step.

It's not my favorite thing, trying to decipher, but I try to think, how would I have phrased it any differently?

#6 ·
Yes, I love to use free patterns. I have found mistakes though, but like Dave'sgirl, I have been able to figure out what's wrong with some of them. Most patterns are ok.

#7 ·
I did finally figure it out on my own, however that is frustrating for someone who doesn't know anything about knitting or crocheting. The pattern I'm using now is simple and well worded and so much easier to do.

I won't stop using free patterns, I'll check them well before I start though.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Just another thought: There are hundreds of free patterns linked on www.ravelry.com . And before you knit a pattern, you can see what other people liked ... or didn't like ... about it.

For example, DD#1 wants me to make the Buttony Sweater
( http://www.ohmystars.net/craft/knitting/pbuttony.html ). Several people on Ravelry have mentioned that the top buttonhole is left out of the instructions. So, I know I have to work that part out.

#13 ·
I LOVE free patterns I find online. I generally just google what I'm looking for and then narrow it down from there. I also have a couple of software programs that I bought at Big Lots pretty cheaply that I love. One designs sweater patterns to knit. It is kind of a pain in the rear as far as guaging goes, but I get it worked out. The other takes photos and turns them in to cross-stitch patterns. I do have to play with it a bit to make the end result come out well, but I like it.

#15 ·
I started out learning to knit with a book/pamphlet. It was the cheapest one at Hobby Lobby (ha), and it actually looked like I would be able to understand it. I was not about to waste my money that day. Anyway, it got me off to a GREAT start, and I've not used all the patterns in there yet, but have turned to the neverending source of patterns online. I've found a few mistakes, but never anything that ruined my project or wasn't relatively simply to fix. Found a lot of patterns that I hated...but thats okay. I really like the accessibility of online patterns, but I think everyone is right in admitting that they may not be as well proofed as published patterns.

#16 ·
I do. Some work out beautifully and some get thrown out because the just don't work. I have found some tried and true websites where the patterns are great-- I go back there more often that trying a new site.

There are patterns on the inside of the yarn labels. I have also made up some of my own patterns... fun but a challenge.:knit:

#17 ·
Just last night I started a really fancy granny square I found online and I will use the pattern but sure enough, an error in the 5th row. I caught it and it's easy enough, but really, you just have to be prepared for it cuz there WILL be mistakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.