Knitters & Crocheters: how do you organize your yarn?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Knitters & Crocheters: how do you organize your yarn?

Do you separate it by type? Like all your cottons for dishcloths in one basket/bin, acrylics in another, wool in another, etc?

Now that I'm knitting more, I'm acquiring more yarn, and I'd like to figure out a way to organize it all.

TIA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was thinking the same thing today as I looked at the plastic bag that my knitting needles were poking out of. I only have a couple balls of wool so far so it's not too much of a problem. However, I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say because I'm so enjoying knitting again.

Great questions Michelle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One big basket for my acrylics, one smaller basket for cotton a nd wools, one smaller basket for crochet thread and then when I am working on a project it has it's own basket. My baskets sit on my sewing table unless it's in use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am currently finding my stuff all over the house. Usually it's in the kitchen (which is where I've been spending most of my time lately on the laptop) or the sewing room or my bedroom. And usually what I need is in a place where I am not.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wait! It's supposed to be organized?

I have a dresser on our back (3 season) porch that is full of yarn. It's not really separated by fiber. But all the wool is sealed in plastic zipper bags (to keep out the critters). In the house I have a set of plastic drawers where I keep the yarn I use all the time and the expensive handpainted sock yarn. Again, all the wool is in zipper bags.

I also have a few baskets behind the couch, all sealed in zipper bags.

No. I don't need an intervention

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I was good......I had it organized on a nice bookshelf, by colors, type, etc. Then I had to move it all due to the hot water tank in the closest that had to be plumbed for the outside wood furnace.

So now all my yarn is in big plastic bags by type and then by color.
    For example all my red acrylics are in 1 bag.
    Cotton yarn for like dishcloths another bag.
    I had to sort the biggest share of it , because I had too much,
    and I took a lot of it to the flea market this past fall. Been
    building up the stash again.........
    was thinking about grouping it up for some ebay sales.
    But I so dislike ebay right now......too many rules.
    I did sell a very big bag of baby yarn on craigslist this summer.

Eventually if I can get a grip on the situation again, intention is to
    store the yarn in plastic totes. Then they can be stacked

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeMom View Post
    Wait! It's supposed to be organized?

I have a dresser on our back (3 season) porch that is full of yarn. It's not really separated by fiber. But all the wool is sealed in plastic zipper bags (to keep out the critters). In the house I have a set of plastic drawers where I keep the yarn I use all the time and the expensive handpainted sock yarn. Again, all the wool is in zipper bags.

I also have a few baskets behind the couch, all sealed in zipper bags.

No. I don't need an intervention
    Ooh I like the idea of a dresser. Hmmm...maybe I can look for one on Freecycle or cheap on Craigs List.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have giant zipper bags that originally held bedding. Each of these bags hold yarn sorted by weight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Early Bird View Post
    I have giant zipper bags that originally held bedding. Each of these bags hold yarn sorted by weight.
    That's a good idea too

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have clear plastic storage drawers full of yarn, about 5 high. Then I have other yarn in those zipper totes from sleeping bags and comforters. I have 3 bins in the garage; I keep and itemized inventory sheet of what I have and where to find it. That has been a huge time saver for me!!

I use mostly acrylic, so it's all together. The little bit of wool I do have is in a Ziplock bag.

It's so much fun to play with yarn!
    Tami
    www.RibbitStitch.etsy.com

2015 Grocery Budget Challenge
    2015 Emergency Fund Challenge 200.00/2000.00

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm sure most of you know by now that I am organizationally challenged so mine is all thrown in a big Rubbermaid container and I'm thrilled that it's in there and NOT all over the house Now, I guess I have to get the container OUT of the living room....
    Nancy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a small dresser that I redid. posted it here at FV a few years back. I use that to store my needles and hooks, patterns and knitting machine pieces.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I entered everything into Ravelry as soon as I got in there, so I don't have to sort them physically...it does all that for me. I just noted on each item what container it was in so I can find it when the Ravelry stash listing helps me find the right one for my project.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, I never dreamed I would ever have as much yarn as you guys are talking about! I've got a bit - about 6 skeins I'm not currently using, plus some extra bits of 3 skeins. They hang out by my desk, luring me into unfinishable projects and distractions from my current knitting commitments.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have the equipment divided in stacked plastic storage drawers and the yarn in plastic storage totes (don't ask how many). Lots of plastic storage boxes and dividers IN the drawers. I stick like-items together and put small items in small plastic storage containers (with lids) inside the drawers.

Quilted knitting needle and crochet hook holders for sets of each. Quilted holders for circular needles. A small collection of bone crochet hooks and "antiques" associated with knitting and crocheting.

I probably have the world's largest collection of ready-to-crochet hem-stitched hankies. I've collected these for years and have made a lot of them for brides, as well as a crochted wedding purse. I saw the wedding purse in 2 different historical museums and found the pattern in a REALLY old magazine. I also collect ready-to-crochet linen motifs that were popular in the 1930's and 40's.

A rolling cart where I have the yarn swift and yarn ball winder attached to the top, and a variety of yarn holders, crochet thread aprons, and other pieces of equipment on the lower shelves.

I also have a file cabinet loaded to the brim with patterns, hand-outs for classes, instruction sheets, copies of projects done over the years, and probably a few surprises... A collection of books - old and new.

I've worked at 2 different yarn shops, taught classes to hundreds of folks and 4-H kids. I've knitted and crocheted professionally, and it's amazing what I've accumulated between the jobs, store sales, thrift shops, flea markets, freebies from friends, etc.... YIKES!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast