Cross stitch purge!
    Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Cross stitch purge!

After 25 years, I'm actually going to let go. Yes, those of you who know me are hysterically laughing. I can hear you!

About 15 years ago, I opened a cross stitch shop to supplement my income because way back then, if you were student teaching before graduating, the college would not allow you to have a job unless you owned your own business. How dumb is that?

Over the years I've purged alot, donated a lot, given away ALOT. Now I'm going to do it again. I'm dragging it all out and doing an inventory.

What possesed me to do this? Lots of things, but I really decided to do this when I told my mom I was thinking about it and she said OH NO! DON'T GET RID OF ALL YOUR STUFF! YOU MIGHT USE IT OR NEED IT SOMEDAY.

So I'm posting here to make myself accountable to you and let you know if you are needing/wanting something please let me know before you buy it. I probably have it! Some of this stuff, I am going to give away.

This is not a solicitation by any means. I will put the things for sale/trade/barter on that thread when I finish the purge.

I can't believe I'm am actually going to do it, but it makes me feel better I think.

Do you feel better after a craft purge?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes I feel a whole lot better after any purge, be it crafts, books or household items. I did this a number of years ago and decided then and there I would not overload my home with craft items. I've stuck to that, except for quilting and scrapbooking.

I've been tempted to buy more wool, however I'm holding off on that. I'll only buy what I'm going to use.

Great job on purge your crafts. If you aren't using them or going to be, then it's time. I'm cheering you on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I feel better after a clothing or household purge, not sure about a craft purge since I've never been able to bring myself to do it I'm impressed with you, I wouldn't be able to do the cross stitch purge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The purge that makes me feel empowered is scrap lumber. As simple as it sounds, it is hard for me to get rid of the most worthless looking pieces of wood. When I do, my shop suddenly gets bigger and I find things that have been lost for quite some time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll probably be able to park my car in the garage. bwhahahah. Well maybe not but it will put a huge dent in the stuff I've dragged around for the last 25 years.

This is a rental and someday when I have my OWN place, I don't want to move as much stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love getting rid of stuff, and have given away tons of craft stuff in my life. When I come a point with something that it feels like that phase is definitely forever over with, I get rid of all the supplies for it. If in years to come I want to take it up again I would much rather replace it than be weighed down by all that stuff in the meanwhile. I rent apartments so space is more important to me than a "maybe, somewhere, sometime, I might happen to want this again."
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I love getting rid of stuff, and have given away tons of craft stuff in my life. When I come a point with something that it feels like that phase is definitely forever over with, I get rid of all the supplies for it. If in years to come I want to take it up again I would much rather replace it than be weighed down by all that stuff in the meanwhile. I rent apartments so space is more important to me than a "maybe, somewhere, sometime, I might happen to want this again."
    i don't think I'll ever give up cross stitch (unless I just cant see) but I definately am going to downsize.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    The purge that makes me feel empowered is scrap lumber. As simple as it sounds, it is hard for me to get rid of the most worthless looking pieces of wood. When I do, my shop suddenly gets bigger and I find things that have been lost for quite some time.

You must be related to my dh. The wood that man has is unbelievable. Famous last words from dh are "it'll come in handy sometime". He is always bringing more wood home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, I do--fabric in particular :yes:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Penascodragonfly View Post
    i don't think I'll ever give up cross stitch (unless I just cant see) but I definately am going to downsize.
    You must be related to Dw. She can sit on the couch for twelve hours doing nothing but putting floss in one whole and out another. I finished framing ten more of her cross stitch projects today. Thirty down and five to go.

Quote Originally Posted by homesteadmamma View Post
    You must be related to my dh. The wood that man has is unbelievable. Famous last words from dh are "it'll come in handy sometime". He is always bringing more wood home.
    I am the world's worse when it comes to saving lumber. It'll come in handy is my motto. I can see all sorts of things in an irregular shaped, ratty looking piece of plywood.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You must be related to Dw. She can sit on the couch for twelve hours doing nothing but putting floss in one whole and out another. I finished framing ten more of her cross stitch projects today. Thirty down and five to go.

I am the world's worse when it comes to saving lumber. It'll come in handy is my motto. I can see all sorts of things in an irregular shaped, ratty looking piece of plywood.

Fixer you are a hero! yay for frames! Yipee for frames. (you know, NOW she owes you) lol

My dh was unemployed for about 18 months one time years ago and I had taught him how to stitch. I got some great and wonderful things.
    Last edited by LastDragonfly; 01-10-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My dh was unemployed for about 18 months one time years ago and I had taught him how to stitch. I got some great and wonderful things.

She has talked about teaching me. I have very big, stubby fingers that are not designed to hold a needle. All I do is wind floss onto bobbins for her. I have thought of taking up knitting when I am older and need something to keep the dexterity in my hands. As for Dw owing me, she took care of the bill yesterday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

She has talked about teaching me. I have very big, stubby fingers that are not designed to hold a needle. All I do is wind floss onto bobbins for her. I have thought of taking up knitting when I am older and need something to keep the dexterity in my hands. As for Dw owing me, she took care of the bill yesterday.
    If you can wind the floss you can poke a needle up and down!

Manual dexterity? holding a teeny thin needle, reading a chart without losing your place, making all the stitches lay flat!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you can wind the floss you can poke a needle up and down!

Manual dexterity? holding a teeny thin needle, reading a chart without losing your place, making all the stitches lay flat!
    Knitting needles are so much bigger. Plus when you drop them, it should not be a major ordeal to find them.