Tatting anyone?

Thread: Tatting anyone?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Tatting anyone?

I've been looking for something to do with my hands that is portable so I pulled out my old tatting shuttle and once again tried to teach myself this lace making skill.

Does anyone here in the village tat? I would love to learn more and improve my skill but there is only so much I'm able to decipher off the www.
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck.... I found it to be too much work for the results, the little bit I've done. It's fast becoming a lost art, I fear, along with other needlework arts. My great aunt did a lot of tatting and was excellent at her art. I wish I would have paid more attention.... I have a lovely milk-chocolate brown linen hankie with extrodinary ecru tatted lace edging around it that she made.

Oh, my, all those hand positions...and combinations of hand positions. Open and close picots, scallops and scallops with picots, Small Josphine picot, Big Josephine picot - YIKES! I would make a tiny, simple edging and then would use it to dress-up a sheet of hand-made note paper because I didn't have the patience to make it any longer than that, or do anything that was complicated.

I'd have to get a giant shuttle and #10 thread just to try and get the basics again.... let alone #30-#70 thread....and 2 shuttles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My mother and I were talking about this the other day...

and how my great aunt did this. We have a book that we were going to see about learning from. Take care and God bless.
    Rhonda

Mother to 12 yo Tony

2013 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge 0/52
    Change Jar and Penny Challenge (Vacation) ?
    2013 Debt Reduction Challenge 0/?
    2013 0/$25($75) Weekly OR Grocery Budget Reduct Challenge 0/578.75
    2013 Project Done A Month Challenge 0/12
    No Spend Challenge 0/365
    Self Image Challenge 0/365
    2013 Eating Out No More Challenge 0/12
    Emergency Fund Challenge (Bill) 0/11,570.48, (Personal) 0/5,408.96

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I tat. My Grandmother taught me when I was little. I love it because it is an affordable (cheap) and highly portable craft. It's also soothing and relaxing. I have one project that I only take when I go to my husbands doctor appointments. So someday I will have enough to finish a table cloth (it's just nice to think that for all of the frustration so sitting and waiting for hours waiting that I will have something beautiful to show for it. If you contact your local yarn shop or senior center you may be able to find someone that can give you hands on instruction. If not I will do my best to help you...I also have several books. It's really funny when you tat in public people just can't resist asking what you are doing..it looks more complicated than it looks. It's just the same 3 steps over and over (if you can knit, crochet or do Macrame) you can easily learn to tat.
    Last edited by hestlauss; 01-26-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your offer and assistance Hestlauss. I've had a single shuttle for years and tried many times to figure it out. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I stumbled across a web site that gave me a little more information and it dawned on me that I use both ends of the thread. (That was my V-8 moment) so I pulled out my shuttle and bought 2 more (with my gift cards). I at least have an understanding of how to make a ring and a chain with picots but my joining skills are not very good so my work looks like the cat got to it. LOL.

I'll be practicing more this week (going to the in-laws in Pittsburg) as I'll have time on my hands. Perhaps I should start off with a basic chain and use it as an edging on something simple. Nah! that would make too much sense. hehehe
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I tat. I just do lace edging. I'm not very fast or very advanced. I did, however, tat lots and lots of yardage to edge wedding veils over the years! I have 6 metres sitting aside right now...waiting for the next wedding...

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My new knowledge for the day and curiosity to further explore. Thank-you ladies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I needle tat. It seems easier to me than shuttle tatting. It's amazing what you can do with a needle and thread! LOL! I'm still a beginner but I really enjoy it. I bought some really good pamphlets and books on www.hhtatting.com. I can recommend anything by Barbara Foster, she is very good and writes very clear directions. I emailed her once with a question and she got right back to me!
    Tami
    www.RibbitStitch.etsy.com

52-week Challenge: 12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,52
    2014 Grocery Budget Challenge
    2014 Emergency Fund Challenge 780.74/2000.00

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are a few threads down below in the "similar threads" area that might help you, Ceashels.

I don't tat, but I do think it's very pretty, and I wish I had time to learn it (so many crafts, so little time )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do, and learned it from a book nearly 40 years ago. I haven't done any in about a decade, but have been thinking about picking it back up along with other needlecrafts now that I have mor free time. I hope you continue learning and enjoy it. I don't find it any slower going than crochet or knitting, and it is much less bulky to carry around.