How do you feel about the message to 'support' your local yarn store?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How do you feel about the message to 'support' your local yarn store?

I am not comfortable with all the people who profess, "Support your local yarn store." I find the message strongly stated on several knitting boards.

And I wonder, why?

If Lorna's Laces sock yarn is $11/skein (2 skeins needed for a pair of socks) at the LYS, but I can get it online for $9/skein, after shipping, why should I pay the extra $4 to 'support my local LYS' ?

A lot of people cite extras that an LYS can provide -- like classes or personalized help. But I've never experienced those.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i feel the same way i dont mind supporting local business but i dont like to feel ripped off either

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We support our local businesses when we can, meaning when prices are comparable even if they're slightly more expensive. But I can't justify blindly paying 3 or 4 5 times the price like I'd have to do if I bought much at our local sewing shop. Consequently, I have an enormous inventory of sewing notions and fabrics bought on the cheap at garage sales, GW, and other places.

I know you're talking about knitting, but it's the same concept.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Like others have said, I support the local shops when the prices are comparable and when they have what I need. Why? I like having a local shop to walk into and touch stuff. I want it to be there at 7pm on a Friday when I need more of a certain color. I want to be able to see new products, feel them, check the color against swatches, etc, not guess from my monitor.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am a big supporter of my LYS. I would hate to see that place go out of business so I try to take my business to them. I haven't used any of their classes, but the employees are so helpful. I also spend a couple of my lunch breaks a week over there, just knitting.

I figure I am paying for the high level of service that I receive that I can't find at a place like Wal-Mart or online.
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's also shipping of that 9.00 yarn and it can range up to 7.95 with shipping and handling. Even with taxes on the 11.00 you've pretty much broken even. Why leave your color swatches to chance as well. I shop locally as much as possible.
    Last edited by Persimmon Lace; 03-02-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I figure that the few times I've made a mistake in color or texture by ordering on the internet, I've more than made up for it by the lower prices.

Now, maybe I'm biased because I don't have a LOCAL yarn store. But, whenever I've shopped in a yarn store in my travels, I just haven't found anything in the service that makes up for the significantly higher prices.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm fortunate in that I have two local yarn stores. I occasionally go to comparison shop and feel up the new yarns. Mostly I look for the sale bins/tables. I also have attended classes and drop-ins at our LYS. I find I receive a lot of help. I support my LYS whenever I can, but if I find better quality elsewhere for less, I go there. Right now I'm just concerned my LYS doesn't go out of business. It's nice to have one within walking distance. So I support them when I can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish I had a local yarn store. I went to one a few hours from here, but they were quite pricey.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like to buy from my local yarn store when I can, even if the prices are slightly higher. Obviously I'm not going to buy local if online is half the price, but fairly close I'm okay with. I see the benefits as I can see the colors up close without monitor issues, I can buy extra if I'm making something large and return the extras months later, I can meet other local knitters and spend time at the store knitting and chatting.

Also, if there's a technique I'm just not getting through online resources, I can get personal instruction during slow shop hours if needed. If I just came in for those things and purchased elsewhere, the goodwill and kharma would just not be there. I've had the issue before that an online store did not have enough skeins in the same dye lot to make a large project and it was "oh, well. that's what we have" vs. the store's "we can special order that for you or tell me more about the project and I'll suggest an alternative". Personal service all the way around makes it worth it for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've considered opening a yarn shop here in my small town. I used to buy alot over the internet but I've begun to buy more and more locally.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would support our local yarn store if we had one. I really like the idea of supporting small business when I can. It doesn't just help the store, but it also support the community you live in. These small businesses are the one's that usually support kids sports teams and other local services that make a difference where I live.

All that said, I don't have a local place, so I order on-line.
    Tami
    www.RibbitStitch.etsy.com

2015 Grocery Budget Challenge
    2015 Emergency Fund Challenge 200.00/2000.00

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As a new knitter, I'm happy that people have supported my LYS. Mostly because it's the only place I can get in person knitting lessons here. It also gives me a place to go when I'm stuck, or attempting a more advanced project. If they close, I don't know what I'd do.

100% Debt Free.... home, car & credit cards.
    Blogging the simple life at: www.sageandsimple.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I try to shop in town as much as possible, for everything, not just craft stuff. I figured the local income helps my community... BUT... my stand is HELP me support you by not jacking the prices up too much in the name of guilt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I had a yarn store I would definitely make my purchases there rather than online. Provided the price isn't *too* much more. I'd pay $15 for a skein of LL in the store where I can pet it, sniff it, see the actual color of it (my monitor is notoriously dark) before I buy it. And I love not having to deal with the post office (really irked at them right now, they have "lost" my husband's disability check).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast