I want to crochet some dishcloths :)
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I want to crochet some dishcloths :)

I am not sure what type of yarn or what size crochet hook though?

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am working on one now. I am using 100% cotton yarn and I a size G nook.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also use the cotton yarn and I use a H or G hook depending on which one that I pick up when I start.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Wow oh WOW!! I am in dishcloth heaven! Thanks so much for the link

This link is definately going into my favorites.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love that site, too. I always use cotton, they work better in my opinion. Also, my favorite hook is a G, so I usually use that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not totally unrelated: I saw a wrap in a crafting magazine that I want to try. The instructions aren't totally greek, but what does "dtr" mean? And what does "RS", in this context, mean?

Here's a little of the instructions (though I still can't picture how this'll turn out): "Row1 (RS): Ch 5 (counts as dtr), 4 dtr in first st, [dtr in next st, skip next st] 8 times..."

Maybe someone could translate it for me...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's a little of the instructions (though I still can't picture how this'll turn out): "Row1 (RS Right Side): Ch 5 (counts as dtrDouble Treble Crochet), 4 dtr in first st, [dtr in next st, skip next st] 8 times..."

So what they are saying is that you are holding the work with the right side facing you. The chain 5 counts as the first double treble crochet. After that, you will work 4 double treble crochets into the next stitch...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished my first dishcloth but the string left when you pull it through for the last time is hanging out. I tried knotting it but it just didn't look right (it stuck out like a sore thumb) and I am scared that it will unravel.

Should I try to just weave it through the dishcloth? there isn't much string there where I cut it though.

Thanks in advance, seems like such a silly question but I don't want all of my hard work to come undone and I have absolutely noone else to ask.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's not a silly question! Almost every pattern will tell you to "finish off and weave in ends", it's like an industry standard. The problem is that even the training books won't tell you how! For future reference, you should leave a "tail" of about 6 or so inches when you cut the yarn. You end with a chain, meaning that after your last stitch, don't just pull through, chain one and then pull through. This is like your knot. then, put your yarn on a tapestry needle. Put the needle between the stitches on the backside of the work, weave it in and out of the "v"s of the single crochets, or the twists of the double crochets. Try to do it so that it doesn't show through on the right side. I wish I could show you, it dosen't illustrate well in words.

For the project you mention, if you can weave it through a few stitches, I would. If you can't, then I would knot it around the base of the last chain. That will at least anchor it. Then next time, you will know what to do Feel free to ask me to clarify anything I didn't make clear... :thumbsup:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelli_wnj View Post
    It's not a silly question! Almost every pattern will tell you to "finish off and weave in ends", it's like an industry standard. The problem is that even the training books won't tell you how! For future reference, you should leave a "tail" of about 6 or so inches when you cut the yarn. You end with a chain, meaning that after your last stitch, don't just pull through, chain one and then pull through. This is like your knot. then, put your yarn on a tapestry needle. Put the needle between the stitches on the backside of the work, weave it in and out of the "v"s of the single crochets, or the twists of the double crochets. Try to do it so that it doesn't show through on the right side. I wish I could show you, it dosen't illustrate well in words.

For the project you mention, if you can weave it through a few stitches, I would. If you can't, then I would knot it around the base of the last chain. That will at least anchor it. Then next time, you will know what to do Feel free to ask me to clarify anything I didn't make clear... :thumbsup:
    Thank you so much for this information I will do that next time for sure.

I ended up just putting it through or wrapping it a couple of times the best that I could with what I had left and then tying a knot. I never would have even guessed to end with a chain before pulling it through or using a tapestry needle,I need to pick one of those up.