advice for a terrible knitter?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default advice for a terrible knitter?

I learned to knit years ago, as a child, from a book. I only ever mastered the basic stitch - & when I taught myself to crochet (again, from a book) I abadoned it all together.
    Lately I've seen such beautiful patterns, & all the knitters on here make such lovely pieces, I want to knit!
    So, I dug out my old needles & watched a couple of tutorials & tried my hand at it.
    Right now, I hate it. I know I must be doing something wrong, it can't be this hard. And mind you, yet again, I am only attempting the basic stitch.
    So ladies, I need your help.
    Where should I look online for tutorials & help?
    thanks,
    Rachel

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't give up! I just started this year and yes, it was very frustrating at first but now I love it. I still only know how to do basic, easy patterns but I really want to push myself into learning alot more once winter hits and I have more time. Here are the two tutorials I used and they helped alot.

http://www.learntoknit.com/instructions_kn.php3

http://learn-to-knit.com/
    Oct No Spend Days - 13 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 253 /365
    2014 Oct Gas Challenge - $55 / $120
    Oct Keep Fit - 1100 min / 930 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rachel, I hope that the tutorials that Debbie suggested help you out. I know that I always do better when I actually see somebody - even on a tape - doing the activity!!

Check how you are holding the yarn to make it easier to regulate the tension. and ...relax as much as possible - you will get it, you will figure it out. Have fun and let us know how you're doing.
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I highly recommend www.knittinghelp.com

And you can also search Google for "knit stitch You Tube", and you'll find links to more tutorials.

HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

don't give up!

It took me months of practice before I finally figured out I just had too much tension on my yarn. My year of learning went like this: practice... rip it out..... practice.... throw it across the room.... rip it out..... leave it alone for a month.... practice.... rip it out..... practice.... practice..... practice.
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A good local yarn shop (not a chain store) that has lessons is a good place to start. The owners and staff are usually experienced knitters and can show you individually how to find your own way of knitting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't forget.....knitting feels weird and awkward until it becomes natural .... hang in there and it's soon be second nature.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I always wanted to learn as a kid and no one would teach a "Lefty". Maybe if you pair if w/ relaxing music it would help. I bought a knitty knitter loom and still haven't tried it. i think my personality and knitting din't go together. Better luck to you. I'd join a group if I were you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thank you for asking this question... I, too am a terrible knitter! LOL I want to learn so bad. I can do the knit stitch well, I even made a small pair of slippers for my dd. But purling is altogether another matter! I can purl if the entire row is purl, but going back and forth, I make a huge mess of the project. I hope some of the links above help me, too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been knitting and crocheting for years; basic stitches. I don't know how to follow a pattern. I've made a bunch of scarves and crocheted afghans and scarves; but following a pattern gets me every time. I even knitted and crocheted dishclothes and wash cloths for my dil wedding shower. Debbie-cat, that is why I haven't joined the making dishclothes and trading. Thank you for the sites to try to get this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The best thing you can do is to sit down with someone who knows what they are doing and (more importantly) is a good instructor. Knitting is basically two stitches: knit and purl. Everything else is just a variation on those two things.

Videos and books only take you so far. An experienced teacher can watch what you are doing and help you figure out what you are doing wrong before it becomes a habit you have to break.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You could check to see if there is a knitting group in your area too:

www.meetup.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Knit-wit advice

Some things I do to make knitting and crochet easier:
    1. Use reading glasses; (I got mine from the dollar store, so I can see the tiny stitches for crochet work)
    2. Use all the fingers on my hand to wind the thread/yarn around so that I can keep the tension even. (under, over, under; whatever works for you)
    3. When using light-coloured thread/yarn, I wear dark clothing, and place a dark tablecloth behind my pattern. As I'm holding the materials up against it, everything is easier to see there is less eye strain. And when I use dark-coloured thread/yarn, I do the opposite, hold it up against a light-coloured background.
    4. When learning how to do a new stitch, I choose a very easy, small project to work on, so I can complete it and enjoy success.
    5. Some patterns have mistakes; it takes time and experience to learn how to correct them.
    6. A pot-holder knitted in thick, cotton yarn is a very easy project, and the pattern is included on the reverse side of the paper wrapped around the yarn.
    7. Some of the nicest doilie patterns I've done are from the "Magic Crochet" magazines; these are expensive, but sometimes they can be found cheap at yard sales or thrift shops.
    8. You can do it if you try; and the more you work with it, the more confident you will feel. There are many skill levels: beginner, intermediate, advanced, challenging. The difference between the beginner and the challenging levels is a matter of patience, experience, and the ability to try and master new things.
    9. With a bit of string, you can be creative, frugal and productive; so learning these skills is well worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really like knittinghelp.com also.

I only knew the basic knit stitch for years and taught myself to purl and more from books. At first the purl stitch felt like I was knitting backwards and sometimes still does.

Don't give up. Keep going. Try different books if one does not work for you. The books geared toward teaching young girls to knit are very helpful. That is what I used when I expanded my knitting skills.

I doubt I will ever knit a sweater or an advanced lace item. And I accept that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't give up!

Keep trying, find a teacher, just don't give up. It took me a long time to figure out knitting and I find such pleasure in it these days.
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast