knifty knitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knifty knitter

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default knifty knitter

I do not know how to knit. One of my goals is to learn how to knit in 2010. I went to the store to get some knitting supplies and saw the knifty knitter.
    Would you recommend this for a beginner? Is it easier? Any experience with it? Is it faster? complicated??
    Thanks in advance for your advice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi sinopa27

I have the same goal for 2010. The sad part for me is that I bought several beginners books over 2 years ago! LOL. I have tried on my own with the books and didn't get very far, but I'm a very visual type of person. I need someone sitting right next to me so I can mimick what they're doing. I wish you tons of success towards your new goal. Sorry I don't have any real advice, just admire your setting goals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nadine64 View Post
    Hi sinopa27

I have the same goal for 2010. The sad part for me is that I bought several beginners books over 2 years ago! LOL. I have tried on my own with the books and didn't get very far, but I'm a very visual type of person. I need someone sitting right next to me so I can mimick what they're doing. I wish you tons of success towards your new goal. Sorry I don't have any real advice, just admire your setting goals.
    thank you! Keep up with this thread. I am hoping someone tells me that this knitting loom is easy. Then we both can learn to knit. Ha ha!! I like what it looks like and I don't want to invest in it and then realize I should have knitting experience first. Good luck to you too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh yes, it is easy. You just wrap the yarn around the pegs and lift it over with the tool. My son used it when he was seven. You will either have to double up your yarn or use thick yarn to make something nice. The stitches are pretty big. This is very different from knitting with needles though, and it won't help you learn to knit with needles. But, you can make cute things, it's easy and it goes a little faster than needle knitting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a set here. I have made a hat with it. It's a nice hat with bulky yarn. I call it a beginner step. It's a good place to start.

I hand knit. Also machine knit. I bought 2 machines ( plastic base ) at thrift shops and am in the process of finding the few missing parts for them, so I can resell them. One of them new sells for $ 400 now. It's a brother. I'm going to have about $ 40 into that one after I get my hands on the parts ( they been ordered )

I have 2 vintage machines ( metal base ) that were given to me by a good friend's husband after she passed away a few years ago. It took me awhile to get them set up. I now belong to a machine knitting club and am still learning. But in the meanwhile, I sure can knock out the hats

I also crochet. I guess you could say I like yarn

I even sew....but it's not something I ever get excited about.
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like the Knifty Knitter. Check out your local thrift shops first, my friend got a set for $1. then bought the hook for $1 as well.

It is easy to learn and easy to use and I tend to plan projects with it when traveling since I don't need to concentrate so hard on the stitches. There are some sites that offer free project plans ranging from blankets to socks.

There are more "professional" models of knitting looms that have more pegs hence smaller stitches. They tend to be made of wood and can be pricier but definitely better quality projects.

But as was already stated.... it isn't knitting. It will give you an idea how the stitches interlock but it isn't the same as needles.

Enjoy!
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Knifty knitters are very good for beginners. My grandson was using them at the age of 5 made some scarfs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my....I was thinking those knitting looms were for adults and now people are saying that children have used them. Well, I am going to get one and try it out. Surely, I am an ER nurse and saves lives for a living, I hate to think this would defeat me. But then again.........I am not the crafty type. I am going to change that in 2010.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope it's easy , I got one for my DD for Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got my Knifty knitter. Christmas present for my daughter. I got some bulky yarn. I will keep you posted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for starting this thread. I purchased on a few months back that was on sale 75% off. I just couldn't pass up that deal. I will buy some bulky yarn and post back here how it went trying to make something. I also have the goal of learning to knit in 2010. We can help keep each other motivated if you want!

Good Luck. Vanessa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok Vanessa.....lets keep each other motivated. I want to make a scarf. What are you going to try and make?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got one of these for my granddaughters for Christmas. They are 8 and 10. I expect that my daughter (their mom) will use it too. They work similarly only on a larger scale than my "Little Red Spinning Wheel" I had as a child. Does anyone remember those? The tv commercial (early to mid 60's) had a jingle - "Spin and loop and then you pull...Spin and loop and then you pull...on your Little Red Spinning Wheel." LOL! My cousin and I both got one. It was basically a 'knitting jenny' incorporated into a cute spinning wheel.

But back to the Knifty Knitter....I have been looking at them in the store for a long time, and really wanted one, but couldn't really justify the purchase, since I crochet and can make hats, afghans, scarves, etc. easily that way. I wish my granddaughters lived closer so I could ...er...'help' them with theirs. LOL!

I can't wait to hear what you all make...and hopefully see photos of them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made the kid's stockings two years ago on the Knifty Knitter. I enjoyed doing it; I am in the process of trying a panel afghan on it for my dd.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...mom/Crafts.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was looking at them in wal mart awhile back wanted one but was afraid it would be money wasted for i ust buy things and get it home couldn't do it and turn around sell at yard sale for little of nothing or take good will but now i try make sure i can use things before i buy.But i am planning on buying a book hoping i can teach my self to crochet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast