Pattern book colors
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Pattern book colors

I got a new crochet pattern book today, 154 Wave Patterns. Happily half off. It has small sample swatches illustrating each pattern. WHO chooses the colors for these? A lot of them are nice patterns, if you can overlook the hideous colors. A bunch of them are white/grey purple/olive green. Not a good combo. Many of the others are just as bad, at least to my taste.

I'm sure browsing through books I've passed up lots of great patterns, just because the colors chosen for the model are so unattractive. I know tastes are different, but olive and purple? And olive and purple and rust? Maybe they just go to Walmart and buy all the yarn on clearance - because the colors are so awful they can't sell it!

But it does have some great patterns.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I got a new crochet pattern book today, 154 Wave Patterns. Happily half off. It has small sample swatches illustrating each pattern. WHO chooses the colors for these? A lot of them are nice patterns, if you can overlook the hideous colors. A bunch of them are white/grey purple/olive green. Not a good combo. Many of the others are just as bad, at least to my taste.

I'm sure browsing through books I've passed up lots of great patterns, just because the colors chosen for the model are so unattractive. I know tastes are different, but olive and purple? And olive and purple and rust? Maybe they just go to Walmart and buy all the yarn on clearance - because the colors are so awful they can't sell it!

But it does have some great patterns.
    I actually like purple and green together, just not a greyish purple and olive green! What colors do you prefer? It sounds like a fun pattern book, and what a great deal you got on it!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DC - some of those colors you mentioned sound like quilting type colors......I like 'some colors' of purple and green together and you see them a lot in quilts.

I am a person that is really into the bright/intense colors so I am having a real problem with yarn!! So much of it is pretty dark.......at the stores we have here. (have been online and found some) But I did find some peach.......so that helped.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like purple and green too, and have used it in afghans together, but nice "clear" purples and greens. This was sort of dark muddy purple and baby diaper green. If it had been a few, it would have been okay, but it's swatch after swatch. Maybe it's the color reproduction.

Anyway, it's going to be a valuable book to have on hand. There are quite a few patterns in it I would like to try.

I just had to vent. I love to browse through my pattern books and like for them to be prettier than this one is. But I suppose it's mother/author loves it!
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree/. On knit nights, my friend & I complain over the lack of forethought given to the color choices on patterns in the recent magazines. Hideous!