Let's talk Yarn.
    McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Let's talk Yarn.

A recent trip to Hobby Lobby got me to pondering the finer points of yarn. I have some questions.

1. What's your favorite type or brand of yarn to work with?

2. What does it cost?

3. Have you found ways to ease the sting of the costs of yarn?
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I crochet only afghans so I only use worsted weight acrylic. I've done a few coasters and such in cotton, but that was a one time thing. Though Red Heart is definitely not the nicest of yarns, I have generally used it because of the low cost. I donate all of these and go through a LOT of yarn, so that's a serious consideration.

However my favorite to use is Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn. Unfortunately, the price has really gone up. It's just gone up to 3.49 - out of my price range for these projects. But I have a big stash of it now because they have just done a big clearance and bought all I could scoop up at 1.99 or 2.09. I've spent every penny of my budgeted Christmas money for it, but it was a great opportunity to stock up. Their 40% coupons also cut the cost way down, if you can buy it skein by skein over time, trusting it to still be available and the dye lots close enough to use together.

I've also started using Caron One Pound, but only when it's on sale.

Between stocking up throug some online sales with free shipping this summer and then stumbling on this huge clearance, I have yarn for a Very Long Time. I have a lot of money tied up into it, but it's my main hobby, it's not getting any cheaper, and it's SO pretty to look at! No buyer's remorse at all, though it's a little embarrassing when I see how much there really is.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not experienced enough to really have a favorite.

I have liked the Caron one pound and just recently got to 'fondle' the HL I Love This Yarn which seems really nice. (will watch for a sale on it)

But for easing the sting.........coupons! I use my coupon for JA's to buy the Caron one pound....when it isn't already on sale. And it usually doesn't go on a very good sale.

The prices are jumping by leaps and bounds........so sales is the only way to go.

I have found some at thrift shops........but it is spotty for when you find enough for a project.....same dye lot, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. What's your favorite type or brand of yarn to work with? mmmmmm definitely baby alpaca! Soooo soft! I also love Dream In Color and GypsyKnits (both handpainted yarns).

2. What does it cost? baby alpaca about $25/skein yardage depends on the weight. Dream In Color are about $20/skein yardage depending on the weight but I usually get fingering weight and that's about 400yds per skein.

3. Have you found ways to ease the sting of the costs of yarn? Nope LOL Seriously I just avoid "screen shopping" on Etsy or Ebay or some of the online yarn sites (no local yarn store & only Michaels). When I make blankets I tend to use Michaels-available yarns like Wool-Ease or Fisherman's Wool or a cotton blend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you like natural fibers, yarn can be expensive. Fortunately (?), I'm a slow knitter, so an investment in yarn lasts me a long time.

Here are some of my favorite online sources:

Knitpicks
    Elann
    Smiley's

Knitpicks has free shipping at $50.
    Webs (yarn.com) often get some great closeout deals.
    Elann sometimes has good bag sales.
    Smileys has low prices, but you have to order a lot to meet their minimum. And they have flat rate shipping of around $14. Again, you'll order a lot at once with Smiley's. For example, last time I ordered from Smiley's, I spent around $75, counting shipping, and got 34 skeins of yarn.
    Last edited by Early Bird; 08-22-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Early Bird View Post
    If you like natural fibers, yarn can be expensive. Fortunately (?), I'm a slow knitter, so an investment in yarn lasts me a long time.
    I can relate to that EB..........not only am I slow but I have to stay with the 'sturdy stuff' for all my frogging!! But....hey....I am a beginner!!

Thanks for the links EB. Good info....had heard of a couple but not that third one. will be checking them out ..........

If you have a JoAnn's near you........sign up on-line and you get coupons.......plus sign up for their mailer........more coupons.

I went yesterday and had: a 70% coupon, a 50% coupon, two 40% coupons, and a 10% off total coupon..........bought yarn. My JA's has increased their yarn and gotten some nicer fibers ........and more colors that I like.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great questions! I love yarn. Okay, I am partial to acrylics. I do some charity knitting and crochet and lots of baby stuff, so I like things to be machine washable and durable. I like Red Heart, just about anything they make and I like Wool-Ease and my new favorite right now is Vanna's Choice.

I have a huge stash and I tend to look for sales. I have a ton of works-in-progress, so it may take me a little bit to completely finish projects.

I like Smiley's and Knitting Supplies | Discount Yarn, but I have been going to Michael's lately.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I crochet & knit.. I use cotton yarn I dont like the feel of acrylic and just donated all my acrylic to project Linouse

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been crocheting for quite a few years. When I first started crocheting I bought my yarn from Zayre's where I worked. They carried several brands. I just bought whatever was on sale. In more recent years I have been using Red Heart either Super Saver or Classic. I do have some other brands in my huge stash that I bought whenever I found them on sale. Just this year I have begun to use cotton yarn. I have Sugar 'n Cream, Peaches 'n Cream, and Bernat Handicraft yarn in my stash. For quite a long time now I am not physically able to go out and shop like I used to. My walking is limited now so I buy mainly by mail order. Herrschnerr's is one mail order company I have used. You can get a catalog or order online. I have also ordered from Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's, and Mary Maxim's. I watch for sales and free shipping. While I really like free shipping I have always considered shipping to be equivalent to the cost of gas, insurance, wear and tear on the car, and the cost of my time to go from store to store. Peaches 'n Cream (Pisgah Yarn) has their own website. Their prices are very good and shipping is not bad. One of these days I will order from them as I have a friend who has orderd from them and is real pleased with the service. I am just trying to make a good dent in my huge stash. Especially since my husband is now retired and we are on a very limited income.
    Last edited by tnkyfrugalgal; 09-11-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added explanation on shipping costs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

tnkyfrugalgal, I find shopping increasingly difficult too, so thank goodness for the internet. I've used free shipping offers and sales this summer to bulk up the stash a lot. I hear you about the fixed income. I'm not there yet, but it won't be many years, and having a substantial stash will be a lifesaver then. I'm glad you have enough on hand to support your hobby in style!
    Donna

Registered User hippytreehugger4ever's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I pretty much just turned to crocheting with thread since yarn costs so much. I have 2 bedspreads started, a white one where I am buying all of the thread new (about $3 a month at the most) and a rose bedspread where I'm just using up random balls of colored thread (.25-50 at garage sales and Goodwill, super thrifty :-) ). On the rose bedspread I have a giant ball of white thread for the fill-in parts and otherwise only have to buy the green thread for the leaves new.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You could consider buying and frogging thrift store sweaters for the yarn. You'd have to confirm that they have the right seams for frogging, but it's a way to get lots of yarn inexpensively.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Early Bird View Post
    You could consider buying and frogging thrift store sweaters for the yarn. You'd have to confirm that they have the right seams for frogging, but it's a way to get lots of yarn inexpensively.
    Tell me more! How do I frog an entire sweater and how do I tell if the seam are right?
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I LOVE natural fibers for yarn!!!
    I am a yarn snob!!

My budget does not allow me to have the yarns I want.... so I learned to spin to how to make my own yarns. My passion in life!!

First, I raise angora rabbits and LUV spinning their beautiful buttery fur!!

I DREAM of raising a few sheep of my own for wool. But, in the mean time, I am grateful others do it and it does not cost me much to have wonderful wool yarns.

I like knit picks yarns, but I can still beat their price by making spinning my own. NOt to mention, the creating process is much more self-satisfying.

Right now, I am finishing up a pair of fair-isle mittens with some yarn I spun that has a mixture of angora, silk, and merino wool in it. I LUV them!! I will post some pictures (if I can figure out how) when I finish them. They are suppose to be a Christmas gift for a family member.