2012 Crochet Corner - Page 25
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks nice, dc. I'm still working on my lapgan using the 1/2dc-sc pattern. I like it, just not working on it as often as I'd like. Still trying to settle my time between work, crocheting, the garden/canning, and writing. I do need to get back to my writing again. lol

On the other hand, I did my first batch of pickles. Now I have to wait until the brine actually pickles the cukes. It's the fridge version, not the hot canning/bath recipe. Mainly because I wanted a quick, feel good result, knowing I can open it sooner than the hot bath recipe. Besides, the hot bath recipe is going to be a weekend project, rather than a weekday project.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think most people who seriously garden have a lot less time for other activities in the summer. You can catch up with all your projects on long cold winter nights!
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So true. I think that's the exact thing that happened 100 years+ ago when there were a lot more family farms. Rush to get the crops planted then wait and catch up on other things. Then rush to harvest and prep for storage. Once that's over, it's catch up in the winter on the sewing, knitting/crocheting, and fixing things that got missed.

Of course, with the hot weather really starting around my area, it's a bit too hot to do long afgan projects. lol I just have to work on the shorter projects, I guess. That and my writing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I joined the Olympics challenge over on Crochetville. You are to choose a project(s) that will challenge you in some way. It has to be started, and with luck, completed, between the opening and closing ceremonies of the games.

I don't like intricate because of my addiction to audiobooks while I crochet, so I opted for a speed challenge - 4 lapghans for the hospice.

All of you need to cheer me on those days - my crochet hook will be in meltdown by the end if I can actually do it. I planned to take two or three vacation days in August. I think it better be during that time!

I'll do a spiderweb, which is fast, but I think with the pattern repeat it's going to have to be longer than then others. Bummer, as we used to say. Then one in strips that I can bring to work. One with alternating rows of dc's and v-sts, with every 3rd row of V's being a contrast color. I found the pattern in a baby book, and like the way it looks. The fourth will be a rather open shell pattern I found in the book 154 Crochet Wave Patterns. I'm making that one harder on myself, because the second row of the shell, that is open in the pattern, I'm doing solid so the piece will have more substance. I think the original pattern would be too open for an afghan.

I'm also using up some boring yarn. It will look good with the patterns, and I'll be driven to get it done - the spiderweb in RHSS soft white, the shells in RHSS aran and (maybe) buff. The strip centers will be in Plum Pudding, a variegated I really didn't like after I ordered it in, so it will be good to use that up while I'm in crochet "lock down" and can't put it aside to do something nicer. BUT - the dc/V pattern will be spring green with paddy green for the contrast. Ahhhh..... green.

I think this is going to be fun. Now, I have the patterns, the hooks, the yarn ... the only thing left is to stockpile Bengay before the challenge begins! And what a swathe that is going to cut through the stash!
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds pretty impressive dcomp............best get those 'joints' oiled up!! But I am betting that you can just 'git 'er done'!!

Only one caution that I see needs to be given...........remember how you are when you are working with colors you don't like????

GOOD LUCK.................will be here to cheer you on!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, FF, I know about the colors. You will all be true friends if you stick with me through miles of white yarn and a variegated with colors that, to may taste, clash, though I like the other purples I'm using with it. Ah well, they will be out of the stash, and the lush green will be soothing!

I am really happy with these patterns though. They are really good ones for lapghans - they look nice and work up quickly. The shell pattern and spiderweb are really fast (lots of holes!), and the dc/V pattern is mindless back and forth, but looks pretty classy, and the V stitches are pretty zippy.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Could you "look" with your fingers during this time? Pick an easy pattern, one that you know pretty much by muscle memory, and go for it. That way you don't have to look at the colors. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finally picked up one of my projects again after all this heat. The heat's gone down a bit but not totally. But enough at least to be able to crochet relatively comfortably. Did spend most of the afternoon at one of the local malls to get out of the heat and did some work on another project while I was there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll be listening to audiobooks, so it won't be too bad. I'm saving some classic sci fi for the extravaganza. It's just very boring doing endless white. Fortunately, it's for the two fastest patterns, and if I use buff with the aran, as I think I will, that will break the monotony a little, though RHSS buff is not exactly a thrilling color either. The plum pudding should really be ok with the purples, and the centers of the strips, where the variegated goes, won't take too long to make.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

HAPPY DANCE!! And then do it AGAIN!

I learned two things the last few days that have me dancing for sure.

First, I was on the RH site, and saw among the Super Saver color blocks -- Charcoal! A new color? A new/very old color? When I was doing a lot of crochet, not just years but decades ago, in the mid-70s, they had a charcoal that was one of my favorite colors. I used it a lot for granny square borders with lighter colors where black was just too harsh. It was cool gray, that I prefer to warm, and perfect. I routinely mutter, going through my stash, "I wish I could still get charcoal!" I haven't seen it locally or in any of the online stores yet, but there it sits on RH. Dare I hope?

Second, when I was in the checkout line in Joann's Monday (don't ask embarrassing questions about that) the checker was telling the woman in front of me that they were moving. To a much bigger store. When I asked where, it turns out they are taking over a long vacated Best Buy (yeah, a big store for sure), in my prime shopping area. This will be sometime next year, and will put Hobby Lobby, Michael's, the Walmart with a good RH selection, and now Joann in a three-four block area. I asked about yarn, and they will be carrying more. They could hardly have less, but it was good to have that confirmed.

Yippee!!!
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dcomp............very happy for you that a color is coming back..............BUT..........there goes your 'stash rule'.........

That is great news about the JA's......am sure you will have fun. When ours moved it was further away for me and not convenient travel (read busy roads, long lights) but gotta say.......the store is really nice. I do go much less often.......but that can be good too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm working on a very colorful ripple afghan for an elderly friend who loves bright colors.
    I'm using Red Heart SS in these colors:
    Lavender
    Turqua
    Carrot
    Spring Green
    Bright Yellow
    Cherry Red

I'll post a picture soon....
    Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh good! Will be waiting for the pic, WJC.

Sounds like it will be bright...........and I love colors!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

FF - I think my stash rule is pie in the sky anyway. Especially given the sale I just hit at JA.com. Also my good July resolutions. On the other hand, the world is full of worse addictions than yarn.

Here are some pics. Four baby afghans. I may have posted the spiderweb - I just don't remember. They are in RHSS Aruba Sea, Pale Yellow, and Honeydew. The Daisy Round Ripple is White, Bright Yellow, and Spring Green.

Daisy RR - Spring.JPG
    Aruba Sea Spiderweb.JPG
    Cancun Waves - Yellow.JPG
    Cancun Waves Honeydew.JPG

Here are a couple of WIPs - this is a new pattern that I have fallen in love with. It's fast and fun to do. It's from Leisure Arts book Best Baby Afghans, Peppermint Wrapper. The original was only two colors, wide bands of white separated by a line of V stitches. But I really like it with more color.

New pattern.JPG

FF - is that enough pics today?
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, dcomp............like them all but that second from the top is coming in on my monitor as a gorgeous turq. color..........very nice!!

Didn't you also have some sort of 'challenge' going on where you had to do X number of 'ghans this month??? How you doing on that?? (or was that someone else on here???)

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast