Frugal Village Forums banner

Needle Arts Contest

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Sara Noel 
#1 ·
17 copies of vintage workbasket magazines. Dates range from the 60's-90's.

The ads in the vintage mags are hilarious. There are recipes and some fun "making cents" frugal tips in some too.

There are a couple that have small rips on the cover, but the insides are intact.

Post a warm memory from the past for a chance to win.

Winner will be chosen in a random drawing from list of posters that participate. (names in bowl)

This contest will run for a week to give anyone that isn't here daily, a chance to participate. (deadline April 3)

I'll bump it daily too.

Good Luck!

#3 ·
A warm memory in reference to needle arts or a memory in general?

mine would be that my grandmother was always learning new crafts to teach me. She'd get supplies and teach herself how to do something (crochet, knit [I didn't catch on to this one until a year or two ago], quilting, etc etc) and she'd sit in the family room by the pot belly stove and work away, crafting and uncrafting until she figured it out. I enjoyed sitting there with her watching as she worked. By the end of it she'd have a project done and would turn around and teach it to me. :)

#5 ·
Here's a part of one of the ads...

Do You Want A Heavenly Figure? Enjoy amazing comfort! Experience breathtaking control! Truly sensational at $4.98

and...

Look at the beautiful gifts you can make from egg cartons! Free idea book "Fun with Egg Cartons".

and...

Be 4" slimmer with amazingly different Compreso-Belt

and...

2 pet seahorses $1.75 a live-mated pet.

#7 ·
Okay, my warm memory is something brought back to me in lawn and garden th other day....

When I was small, my family often went to my great-grandparents' farm for holiday celebrations. We also went there a lot "just because." They only live a few miles down the road from us, and I always loved it there- there were Concord grapes to pick, there was anice warm woodstove in the kitchen and a big bedstead in a room off the kitchen, and it always smelled like kielbasa and burning wood in the winter.

This particular memory is the summer, though. I remember my hulk of a great-grandfather (to a four year old, anyway) taking us kids out into the fields behind their house that summer and helping us pick wild strawberries. We would bring back as many as we hadn't eaten and then Great-Grandma would help us put them in a bowl and mix them with a little cream or milk and sugar. It is such a good memory, and really the last clear memory I have of him as he died later that year.

I still love wild strawberries (and Alpines, which taste like wild) to this day, and the smell of the fields.

#8 ·
Here's a tip from one person from the "Women Who Make Cents" section.

Make giant buttons by cutting plastic container lids to desired size. Punch holes for easier sewing when attaching it to the garment. Pad circle with cotton on one side. Cover with a larger circle of fabric gathered around the edge. Pull gathering thread taut on the wrong side of the button. These buttons will sell for $.25-$.50 a piece.

:laugh:

#10 ·
Here's another good one. :D

Again from the "Women Who Make Cents" section.

Blue Jean Rifle Case

With an old pair of jeans, use one of the legs for a shotgun or rifle case. Use a zipper for closing on the top. Use waistband for handle and put a pocket on for carrying shells. Sells for $5.00.

#11 ·
Love the shotgun one...

My warm memory:

I can remember one fall when I was so broke I could hardly pay attention. My mother used to meet me in a really nice park in a city somewhere between where she lived and I where I lived that was accessible for the bus line since neither of us drove at that time. She got off the bus with a HUGE bag of scrap yarn. She worked for the Salvation Army and ALWAYS came across great deals. Anyway, we sat in that park for hours until she taught me the popcorn stitch and how to make slippers without a pattern, neither she or Lori ever crocheted much from patterns, but rather by sight looking at something and just being able to copy it (still amazes me) Slippers are the only thing that I can crochet without a pattern and has always become my back up for a quick and inexpensive gift when I am short of $$. I really thank my mom for teaching me the value of giving and recieving something handmade.

#12 ·
Here's another ad...

New revolving Spaghetti Fork! It's so easy and lots of fun to eat spaghetti with the new patented revolving spaghetti fork. No muss. No fuss and a real conversation piece at the table. Everyone will want their own personal spaghetti fork.

Only $1.25.

The pictures are hilarious. Shows how to use the fork. :D

#13 ·
lol sara, those adverts are hilarious.

I have a memory I want to share but I don't want to enter the competition because if I won the postage would be too expensive. :)

When my mother was dying of non-hodgkin's lymphoma she was in hospital where she just hated to be. My sister visited her every day and I spoke to her on the phone every day - I lived 2000 km away. My sister took a quilt she was hand stitching in with her and my mum used to pretned she wasn't in hospital by completely covering the bed with Tricia's queen size quilt. I kept asking mum if I should come down to see her and she kept saying, "no sweetheart, I'm not that ill." Anyhow, to cut a long story short, she was that ill and when my sister phoned me in a panic to get down there I jumped on a plane but she died while I was en route.

I will never forgive myself for not going sooner but when I think of my sister quilting while our mum covered her hospital bed to disguise all traces it, I smile.

#15 ·
My best memory is one that happened in the last year...several years ago my aunt died of cancer when her children were just 9 and 11...now her oldest is getting married this october. Anyways, the daughters had always asked me to finish some of the stitching projects that their mother had started.

I never did...then a few months ago I found one of them. It was "fly away". A long stitch kit with several hot air balloons... It was half done, and I went ahead and finished it...and sent it to the oldest daughter, my cousin. ( who lived several states away from me). She didn't know I had finished it and I wanted to surprise her..so I sent it...then I found out through family that she had moved!! The chance of her getting it was unknown and I was hoping it would be returned. I was so upset!!

About a month later, I got a card from my cousin. The lady that moved into her place spent some time finding my cousin and drove to her new apartment and gave it to her!! When she wrote me she said that she was not only thrilled to have it, but she remembers her mother working on it and was in tears in receiving it!!!

I can't tell you what it means to me that some stranger hunted down my cousin and got it to her instead of my aunt's long stitch piece being lost forever!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.