dehydrating apples - to peel or not to peel
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default dehydrating apples - to peel or not to peel

I'd like to dehydrate and sprinkle with a little sugar and cinnamon. Do I have to peel them? My RA hands just can't take that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, you don't have to peel them. (I don't) Just know the edges will be a little tougher (like an apple peel).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Do you put the sugar and cinnamon on before or after dehydrating? I would like to try but am new.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge/October
    $103.86

October/ Grocery
    /Goal $200.00 Total $63.25

Eat Out No More Nov
    Goal 20
    Accomp/20

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/16

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Maybe I can convince someone to peel them for me...... sprinkle with cinnamon sugar before dehydrating....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
    I'd like to dehydrate and sprinkle with a little sugar and cinnamon. Do I have to peel them? My RA hands just can't take that!
    Know the feeling VL......I am looking in to getting an apple peeler. Have been asking people if they have one, what brand, etc.

I want to make applesauce and don't want to have to peel them all. (and don't want to put it through a seive either)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a new secret recipe for my apple butter = buying large cans of applesauce at Sam;s and cooking the apple butter in my crock pot....let's see if anyone can tell the difference! hee hee

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've bought 2 apple peeler corer slicer, one from pampered chef and they just don't work for me.....my apples must be deformed or something....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SAVE YOUR HANDS..... You don't need to peel them (just cut out any "bad" spots); and you really don't even need to core them.

If you cut your apples on a cutting mandoline (hold the stem at the top and slice from the bottom of the apple to the top), you will have beautiful slices with a 'star' in the middle (from the seeds).

Most of the seeds will fall out when you give the apple slices a dip in an acidic water bath (to help prevent oxidizing/browning, and to prevent bacteria growth during dehydrating and storage). The seeds in the slices that don't fall out from the "bath" will generally fall out during the drying process. You can also poke seeds out with a toothpick, if you'd like. But I do most of my apples anymore without peeling OR coring.

If I want smaller slices I'll use an apple corer/slicer (the kind you plundge through the apple to cut apple wedges). Then I will slice the wedges with a paring knife to the thickness I need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    Know the feeling VL......I am looking in to getting an apple peeler. Have been asking people if they have one, what brand, etc.

I want to make applesauce and don't want to have to peel them all. (and don't want to put it through a seive either)
    I got an apple slicer/peeler at Bed, Bath and Beyond (no brand name; it was under $20). It really does a fast job of peeling, slicing and coring apples for dehydrating. It also will slice and core without peeling. I have been using the cores and the peels left from using the apple peeler to make applesauce. I just cook them with some water until they are soft, then put them through a food mill to make applesauce. When I get tried of having applesauce (I haven't canned it so it has to go into the refrigerator), I think I may go back to dehydrating the apples with peels on. But I like the apple slicer, with or without the peeler attachment - it really makes preparing the apples fast once you get the hang of it.

Registered User pop goes the weasel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you peel them save the peels for jelly