how many do once a month cooking? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

These are the things we do in huge batches and freeze:

meatloaf (we do 20 meatloaves at one time)

pizza - I par bake the crusts, add toppings, the put in 2 gallon zip lock bags. We bought a bunch of pizza pans at the Dollar Store, specifically for this purpose)

sloppy joes

chicken and noodles

lasagna

chili

sausage/egg biscuits

pancakes

waffles

french toast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't do OAMC, but I have looked into it.

I DO pretty much cook AT LEAST a double batch of most anything and then put the extra in the fridge or freezer for later use. That way I always have quick and easy home cooked food when I don't have the time or aren't in the mood to cook. It is very little extra work, but the rewards are priceless!
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Doing OAMC has always been a goal or mini goal at least, but have never gotten fully into the swing of it - have done it here or there, but never with the zest and enthusiasm and planning that I think it requires.

Perhaps it would be helpful if some would post some of their recipes or processes that they use. Freezer size is also a consideration.

Glad that you brought this us jas, I'm going to see how I can adjust his to our lives - even if it's for a two week period.
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would love to do OAMC, but would need to do smaller batches for just DH and me. Freezer space is a concern here, too! I know tater tot casserole will freeze well unbaked and so will tuna noodle casserole if you undercook the noodles. My grandmother freezes entire bags of spaghetti, including the noodles, and I assume she undercooks hers, too, because it always defrosts well.

Here is one resource I have read through a lot that may give some ideas:

Make Ahead Recipes - OAMC - Recipes to Make Ahead of Time - Once a Month Cooking - Freeze Crockpot Leftovers

I have a way that I cook chicken with salsa, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder that might freeze well, and it's very versatile -- I've used it on top of salads, in quesadillas, enchiladas, open faced tacos, would probably also be good on baked potatoes, so maybe I could give that a try.

ETA: sunshine, how long do you "par-bake" the pizza crusts? I would really like to try this! I have also heard you can freeze pizza dough in bags and thaw when needed. Anyone know anything about this?

2014 Project Challenges:
    2014 Twenty Wishes Challenge: 5/20 complete :-)

Just trying to keep on keeping on!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do all kinds of stuff.. just depends on the mood.
    >frozen pbj rounds (store them each in a sandwich bag and then in an ice buckey)
    >frozen single serving deserts
    >jello cups (24 at a time these go in fridge)
    >pulled pork and divide in bags and put all in one big bag (freeze)
    >sloppy joe (freeeze)
    >turkey stuffing in smaller bags and then in a big bag to pull out and put on plate (freezer)
    >Ham > re-portion and freeze
    >personal pizzas - pitas all made like pizza and frozen separately and then when frozen layered with a piece of wax paper in between in a ice cream bucket
    > potatoe skins- bake potatoes- scoop out and cut skins in half-lay on sheet pan and freeze- when frozen-I rebag about 24 in each and put inside an icecream tub
    these are just some of the things i do..
    I am going to look into the seal a meals and saw somewhere you can boil in the bag. that would be a quick for spagetti and homemade spagettios..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I make the pizza dough -- pat it out to the size we want. . . and bake for about 10 minutes. . . just so the top is starting to brown. . . take out, add topping and freeze. . . then take the frozen pizza and bake. . .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are slowly cleaning out the freezer and I am going to start planning for cooking for more than one meal - son't think I'll get to the real OAMC yet, but I want to build up to it!! Will let you know what I decide to make and how it goes!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

About 12 yrs ago, I took a short course offered by the local community about 'cooking once a month', I bought that receipe book from & by that instructor. Very interesting, I tried out that OAMC, a lot of menu planning, then prepare a shopping list, then use a good part of a day to do shopping, & the next day to cook from scratch (chopping, dicing, etc). The freezer needed to be cleaned out or at least 90% of it. Need containers/bags for freezer.
    The most important part is how to cool down the cooked food quick enough & freeze immediately to minimize chance of spoilt/contaminated food.
    I had trouble with the last part, my kitchen counter top & fridge space was all used up, the fridge temp was higher because of all the 'just cooked' food. Lots of pots & pans to clean, labeling containers & such. I did that OAMC one time, couldn't bring myself to do it again. I remembered I was so tired & so sick of looking at the food I cooked, that we went out to eat.
    But I like the receipes in that cookbook, because it mentioned where to stop & freeze, then defrost & finish cooking & adding some final touches before serving.
    I do a lot of 'triple the portion & freeze 2 portions' kind of cooking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found this website that seems to be very informative.....makes me want to try and do OAMC......we will see!

April 2010 OAMM Menu by Once A Month Mom | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Prolly in 3 weeks I am gonna try this...if it works out I may do this for the rest of my life. I love cooking and don't mind cooking all day but after work.whew I am beat!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh how I have missed doing OAMC !!!

My fridge comes soon (May 7) and I am already looking forward to being able to do it again.

RecipeZaar has a lot of inspirations

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I tend to buy lots of a product, and make meals from it OAMC style. Last time i started with chicken and made
    chicken soup
    Buffalo Chicken Dip
    pasta/chicken/broccoli/cheese sauce chicken meal
    hunter stew

It works similarly with beef...
    When I try to do too much at a time I get discouraged, but 2-3 hours doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice for meals when I need them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven't tried this yet but I want to. Not sure I want to do all the dishes afterwards...lol...but the end result of having a freezer full of pre-cooked meals sounds very appealing!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Luckybustert View Post
    I haven't tried this yet but I want to. Not sure I want to do all the dishes afterwards...lol...but the end result of having a freezer full of pre-cooked meals sounds very appealing!
    And that's the beauty of it! I loved to pull out my hm healthy muffins from the freezer for breakfast and my Italian low fat soup for lunch. Yep, it was a lot of work but it really paid off.

I need to start slowly back into it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

An alternative that has worked for me is to make twice as much as I need for dinner and freeze half of it for future use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast