Forget not thine wondrous crockpot, it maketh life much easier
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Kamloops in the central desert area of BC
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking Forget not thine wondrous crockpot, it maketh life much easier

Just shoved dinner in, a frozen roast (yup it'll be fine by dinner time) surrounded with carrots and onions, and an envelope of onion soup mix on top.

I scrubbed and didnt' peel potatoes, quartered them, sitting in a saucepan covered with cold water for later (they won't fit in the crock)

so that supper is a mere turning on the heat under the potatoes, cook for 20 minutes till tender, and serve a complete pot roast dinner.

The juices will make a good soup base later

and once more a busy day is saved by a crockpot.

OK everybody knows and loves that recipe, it's a TNT (tried and true)

What are your kitchen favourites with the crockpot?

Please just ones that you serve over and over and the family still loves them the 30th time as much as the first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Creamy Italian Chicken

4 boneless chicken breast halves
    1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
    1/2 cup water
    1 pkg. (8oz) cream cheese, softened
    1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
    1 can (4oz) mushroom stems and pieces, drained (dh likes it better if I skip these)

Place chicken in bottom of crockpot. Combine salad dressing mix and water; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and soup until blended. Stir in mushrooms. Pour over chicken. Cook one hour longer, or until chicken juices run clear. Serve over rice or pasta.

Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob Karla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Chicken stew
    none of this I measure, just use what will work for your family size.

1-2 chicken breasts (or cooked chicken diced)
    carrots, potatos, onions
    mix all with cream of chicken soup/or cream of mushroom sour/ or even cream of celery or mix soups.
    cook until everything is done.
    1/2 can water or so.

If using raw chicken breasts you might need to dice them up and return to crock pot.(after cooked)
    This can be made either thick or thin. we prefer it a little thicker.
    Also season to taste, I just use a little salt, pepper, and some season salt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking

Thankyou BlessedMommy and Karla. Two fine chicken recipes!

Sue Greggs Baked Beans: (these come out like the best baked beans in a can)

Cook in crockpot overnight or till tender

3 cups dry white beans in 6 to 9 cups water. Rinse well when done.

Drain those beans and combine back in that crockpot with:
    1 big onion chopped
    1- 28 oz or 29 oz can of diced tomatoes
    1/4 cup molasses
    2 TBSP Honey (I have omitted at times but it adds a nice flavour)
    2 tsp dry mustard (that is the mustard powder)
    up to 1-1/2 tsp salt to taste.

cook on low all day.

Freeze leftovers (they freeze best if its' a bit soupy).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What to make when you had sausages and eggs for breakfast

Sausage Lentil Soup: this favourite was adapted from an old Canadian living recipe and kept us going during some pretty hard times one year.

here is my adaptation for the crockpot-- for those of you who know my favourite veggie soup, this is it, in half.

Cut up and fry in a little olive oil:
    1/4 lb of sausage (this can be breakfast's leftovers, a few links if you like)

drain fat, snip the sausage into small chunks and add to crockpot:

2-3 cups water or stock (swish the brown bits out of the frying pan with this water for extra flavour into the crock pot--avoid fat, but if some gets in don't worry-- you can even boil this water in the frying pan to get the brown bitty bits of flavour and a head start on cleaning the pan)

1/8 cup barley (half of a 1/4 cup)
    1/2 cup red lentils

Now add:
    1 small to med chopped onion
    1clove garlic diced
    1 finely diced carrot
    1 stalk celery diced
    14 oz tin of diced tomatoes
    1 bay leaf

To taste add the following:
    salt
    Pepper
    thyme (about a tsp to 2 tsp)
    basil (big pinch)

If you have cabbage on hand, a few chopped leaves go nice in here, as does leftover cooked spinach.

If there is room left in the pot, add some more water to fill to the rim. This will make a VERY thick soup

and crockpot on low all day. If you are home, it won't hurt to stir once or twice after the first hour.

At dinner if you have leftover broccoli, or other veggies, add them in just long enough to heat them up, you don't want to over cook, esp broccoli.

Serve for dinner, and freeze leftovers.

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love my crockpot too!

Thanks for the recipes ladies, I'm going to try them one by one!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The cp is one of the greatest inventions ever created I'm going to try these too, especially the baked beans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default More on the Crockpot, some tips

Crockpots make a lot of liquid. I generally try not to add any and even if the recipe calls for it, I cut back on the amounts.

At the very end of cooking fish out the meat and veggies, and turn the thing up to high, and do 20 minutes with some flour or cornstarch whisked in to thicken things up

(do mix the starch or flour with a little bit of COLD water or milk THEN into the boiling brew so as not to make lumps -- AKA 'mini dumplings' of the icky variety)

OK Veggies especially carrots are NOTORIOUS for not cooking by the end of the day. SO

always add the veggies first so they sit on the bottom and up the sides so that they contact the most heat. This also keeps the meat up near the top where you can keep an eye on it thru the glass or plastic lid.

Try NOT to lift the lid, it takes another 20 minutes to half an hour for the heat to get back up, and while it doesn't make the food go bad, it will take a LOT longer to cook.

About GREASE AND FAT!~
    Ewww, I hate it when the finished product has a half inch of fat swimming around on top.

Ways to cope:

Chicken-- try to use breast with skin on, or drumsticks. Backs and wings and thighs have too much fat and it pours out of the chicken as it cooks. A little skin on the breast keeps it from getting dry. I find boneless skinless ch. breasts over cook a bit, you want to check on them BEFORE they get all dry and chalky.

Beef or pork roasts or chops. BROWN THESE FIRST to help render out some fat AND ADD SOME TERRIFIC FLAVOUR.

if you don't have time to mess around browning or the only chicken that fits in the budget is backs with legs attached complete with fat

then don't worry, all isn't lost. I skim the fat off anyway.

Remove meat and veggies to dish and tent with foil to keep heat in or pop in oven in long glass roasting pan. Strain broth into container, skim fat (I have one of those fat separators and love it) and return broth into crock with flour or cornstarch, turn on high and cook 20 minutes

(or do as I do-- and throw into a sauce pan with the flour and bring to boil, simmer a minute or two till thick and serve as gravy)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

this is a recipe DH calls "oops" because we were trying to make something else. We serve this over hot crusty bread rolls:

one 3-4 lb pork roast
    water to cover
    few slivers of garlic
    some onion powder, pieces, or dehydrated, any of these will work

all into the crock pot
    turn on leave for around four or five hours

take a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce, add half of it to the crock, allow to simmer another hour. add half of what's left in the bottle to the crock pot. simmer again for another half hour.

taste sauce. if it is a little weak, add the rest of the bbq sauce from the bottle. otherwise take out the roast and shred with forks. return shredded meat to the crock pot. If you need to, go ahead and skim off fat before adding meat back. simmer again for another 45 minutes or so. Again, we like to serve this on hard rolls for a pork sloppy joe meal. Our intent when making this the first time was to make bbq pork (we had the first time used a rack of pork ribs curled to fit in the crock) it cooked so long all the meat fell off the bone, and we had to eat the ribs as a loose meat sandwhich. we loved it, very simple and adaptable. you can add to it if you like. if you don't like onions or garlic don't use em. it is a very simple to make dinner.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Planting and raising an urban homestead in the middle of Downtown big city right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains!

Zone 5 Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up Chicken in Honey Mustard Sauce

Oh Melissa that looks so good and so easy. It looks like pulled bbq pork that I've made but I think your recipe may be easier. YUMMY!

from Canada's Best Slow Cooker Recipes by Donna Marie Pye.

(I'm going to give a few of my tried and true favourites from some of my favourite crock pot cookbooks) I will include the metric where possible in the hopes this will help cooks outside north america but please note, I haven't tested it in metric as I still cook using American measuring cups and spoons.

Chicken in Honey Mustard Sauce

In a small sauce pan over med heat melt 1/4 cup butter (50 ml)
    (note from margery, I LEFT OUT THE BUTTER AND IT TURNED OUT GREAT!!!)

Add:
    1/2 cup liquid honey (125 ml)
    1/4 cup Dijon Mustard (50 ml) (i use grey poupon for this)
    1 TBSP curry powder (15 ml)
    1 tsp salt (5 ml)
    and Stir until dissolved

Place 8 chicken peices, legs and breasts, skin removed in your slow cooker. I like to spray first with cooking spray(PAM).

Pour sauce on top, cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.

If you use white meat only, cooking times will be less, check to avoid overcooking (I agree)

I also agree about removing the skin. Note from me-- and also every loose glob of fat you can scissor off the chicken parts.

You will still have to skim fat but it won't be too bad.

Thicken the broth and serve with chicken over rice.

This is HEAVENLY. Really really good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mmmmm, that sounds good Margery. thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Spicy Lemon Chicken

I got this out of a Taste of Home magazine but all I have is the clipping, don't remember what year. Sorry. I skipped the recipe's calling for 1/3 cup of water, as I always do with crockpot recipes. I don't have a family that thinks of gravy as a preferred beverage. They don't hate it, but they don't ladle big dollops on, so the less juice my crock makes THE BETTER.

Spicy Lemon Chicken
    In a greased crockpot (PAM spray again, I love to do this)
    combine;
    1 med onion chopped
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 TBSP veg oil (I used olive oil)
    1/2 to 1 tsp salt (I go low on salt so 1/2)
    1/2 tsp garlic powder (I used crushed fresh garlic cloves, about 3)
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp paprika (the mild one, but you could do the spicy one)
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 tsp pepper
    and stir together.

Then add
    4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 oz each)
    and TURN TO COAT. (this puts some colour on them)

Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or till done. REMOVE CHICKEN AND KEEP WARM

In a saucepan combine
    4-1/2 tsp of cornstarch with
    4-1/2 tsp of cold water
    till smooth

Then add hot cooking juices, bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes till thick and smooth. Serve with chicken over noodles.

We all really enjoyed this recipe, and it's another of my "keepers".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Chicken and Rice dinner

from a Taste of Home recipe in the 1994 Annual page 166

Chicken and Rice Dinner

Dredge chicken parts from a cut up fryer (2 to 3 lbs) in flour and fry in some oil in a fry pan, quickly to brown only on all sides. Remember to cut ALL visible fat OFF the chicken, even skinning it if you like before browning. This recipe has a tendency to be a bit on the greasy side, so I prefer to skin the parts totally AND cut the fat off or use breast portions before dredging and browning.

Remember you aren't cooking it, just browning QUICKLY to give colour and flavour.

Spray crockpot with Pam. Combine the following in the crock:
    1-1/2 cups raw long grain rice
    1 tsp poultry seasoning (I like a touch more)
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 cup milk
    1 cup water (I like to pour the oil out of the frying pan, BUT THEN SWISH THIS WATER AROUND TO PICK UP THE BROWNED BITS AND FLAVOUR!)

top with the browned chicken parts

Cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley just before serving.

You may need to add a touch more water as it cooks, just check on it after about 3 hours. ADD BOILING water if you need to add any at all.

If there is too much water (lids vary, plastic ones let out a lot more steam and water than glass cookers do, chicken water content varies depending on the honesty of your supermarket)
    then toss in a handful of Minute rice to soak it up.

Have some Minute or instant rice on hand when you use a slow cooker and want to soak up excess fluids. It may not be the worlds healthiest rice but it does solve a what to do about that liquid problem in a dish like this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Barbecued Shredded Beef on a Bun

This comes from Easy Home Cooking The All New Slow Cooker, no author. Discount bin at bookstore.

OK this recipe I've adapted quite a bit. IT SURE didn't look like the picture, way too watery for a bun till I fixed it.

Now this recipe is MUCH nicer the next day, and I figured out that it may be made in the slow cooker, but for the pretty photo (and for not soaking the bun into a soggy mess) that it needed to be shredded up when cool enough to handle, then REBAKED the next day before serving on one of my LONG GLASS RECTANGLE PANS, the 10x14 was what I used.

Barbecued Beef:

3 lbs Boneless chuck roast (not too fatty). Put in greased crockpot.
    Now mix the following in a bowl and pour on top the roast:
    1-1/2 cups ketchup
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    A very scant, almost half of a 1/4 cup of cider or red wine vinegar
    1 TBSP Dijon mustard (they call for 2 but it's too strong)
    2 TBSP worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp liquid smoke if you have it (really nice, but the world won't come to an end if you don't)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper (I like to just grind a few grinds of freshly ground pepper, I don't like the pepper from a can)
    1/4 tsp garlic powder (I use 2 or 3 cloves crushed fresh garlic)

Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours (yes this long, or longer!) or 4 to 5 hours on High (or a bit longer)

You need it to cook till its ready to fall apart and be shredded by a couple of forks.

remove meat. Shred with forks. Put back in sauce and mix. Spoon onto buns and serve hot.

Now I like it cooked on HIGH till fall apart tender, AND if it's still a bit watery, add a bit of flour.

OR wait till tomorrow and finish it off in a roasting pan in the oven for half an hour on 400.

If you wait and serve on the next day, i'ts lovely, and not so watery, without adding flour PLUS THE FLAVOUR REALLY MELLOWS INTO ITSELF.

This is very tasty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

from my crockpot section of my OAMC thread over in Homestead Garden's summer keeping:

Crockpots can:

--Make soup and chowder (leftover chopped veggies in the freezer or fridge after cooking day? don't let them get whiskery with age, dump them into the stock from the ground beef crumbles and make a great homemade veggie soup). Eat one meal tonight and freeze the rest in meal size amounts. (smaller or flatter containers are faster to thaw)

--Soups with barley or lentils won't scorch and will get the best and creamiest flavour ever.

--Make stews, chilis, sloppy joes, spaghetti sauce, chicken fricassee and eat one and freeze 2! Any stew like casserole will do. Beef Bourgignon is a great example.

--Make pot roast. Some leftovers are sliced and frozen in gravy for another meal. Other leftovers are chopped into delicious meat spread sandwich filling.

--Make chicken pot pie filling in the cp and freeze in meal size portions in ziplock freezer bags. Thaw, and cover with pastry or biscuit dough and bake.

--Same procedure for shepherds pie or tamale pie (make bottoms in cp, cover with topping, bake, freeze rest of bottoms in ziplocks for later thawing, topping and baking)

--Make extra stuffing and cook OUTSIDE the turkey, (saves time stuffing the turkey, is safer, and makes more stuffing anyway) and keep it hot for serving at the big meal. Makes enough for a crowd.

--Make mashed potatoes an hour ahead and keep hot on Low in the crockpot. Makes enough for a crowd so is great for company dinners.

--Make spiced cider or hot cocoa for a crowd and keep it nice and hot for hours without a problem. Set it before going out christmas tree hunting or skiing and come back to a hot treat.

--Cook beans overnite so in the morning you rinse them in cool water, drain and freeze in 2 cup portions. Far cheaper and healthier than canned beans and if you use a microwave to thaw them, they are almost as fast as opening a can of beans. Do this with one variety after another and build up a frozen stash of chickpeas, pinto beans, red beans, white beans etc.

Cook the best baked beans and vegetarian chili ever. The beans have time for the molasses or chili flavour to bake right in, and they never scorch.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast