Frugal Village Forums banner

I have been sooooo busy!

Tags
busy sooooo
2K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  captclearance 
#1 ·
For the last month and a half or so I have been incredibly busy! :eek: What a difference from last year. :)

So far I have canned:

47 quarts of peaches (gave 15 quarts to mom)

6 jelly jars of peach jam without sugar (came out great)

8 jelly jars of blackberry jam

15 quarts of bread & butter pickles

31½ pints of bread & butter pickles

11 pints of sweet relish

15 quarts of tomatoes

23 quarts of green beans

13 pints of green beans

20½ pints of corn

I also had some green beans left over so I blanched and froze 2 big packages and I have blanched and froze 9 packages of broccoli.

Now the berries!!! OMGoodness have we had a bumper crop this year! I have probably picked at least 100 quarts of blackcaps, raspberries and blackberries this year! There are still thousands of blackberries left but I am done so the birds will eat really well! :laugh: I froze most of them.

Right now I have to go make my blackberry jelly without sugar (I don't like sweet stuff) and I may make a 2nd batch as it only yields 4 cups when you don't use sugar.

When the apples come in I plan on making ½ dozen quarts of apple pie filling and ½ dozen pints of applesauce for us.

Oh and I am trading mom some berries for blueberries ( dad is picking free at his friends) and rhubarb out of thier garden. :lip: I love rhubarb cooked down like applesauce!

I have done more physical work in the last month and a ½ than I think I have done in my life time! But if feels good to be productive again after last year.

Here is a pic of my goodies. I also have 8 more boxes full of jars of canned goods. I figured if I saw them daily I would remember to use them. :D 

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks Debbie and Jayne. It sure does feel good to get something accomplished AND have something to show for it. :)

#6 ·
That sure is a pretty sight to see. Good for you Dee! :thumb:You & Jack enjoy all the Fruits & Veggies of your labor!:clap:

#7 ·
Thanks Chelle. :D

#8 ·
SewCrafty said:
Thanks Debbie and Jayne. It sure does feel good to get something accomplished AND have something to show for it. :)
AHEM!!! What am I chopped liver? I see how it is... ;) :laugh:

#11 ·
Thanks girls! :)

Chelle...... :laugh: gotcha! :D

#13 ·
Wow Dee! You put me to shame here. I love the picture of your goodies all displayed.

BTW, could you please post your recipe for the sugar free peach jam? I'm making more peach jam today and I'd love to try it.

Thanks!!!! :hugz:

#15 ·
Wow, you have been a busy lady. What a wonderful harvest you have had this year. They look so pretty all on the shelves like that. I bet that peach jam will taste wonderful on a warm biscuit on a cold winters morning. :hungry:

#19 ·
Thanks girls. :)

Sure Debbie, I just used Ball Fruit Jell, No Sugar Needed Pectin. You can find it anywhere that sells canning supplies and is in a rose colored box. :) The only think is 1 recipe of jam only makes 6 sm jelly jars, and 1 recipe of jelly only makes 4 jelly jars. But is it oh so good! :lip:

#20 ·
WOW!! I'm impressed!! You have been one busy lady!

I know you know what you're doing and all but I think I should taste everything before you and Jack eat any...you know...just to be safe :toothy:

#21 ·
Originally posted by bamamomto4
WOW!! I'm impressed!! You have been one busy lady!

I know you know what you're doing and all but I think I should taste everything before you and Jack eat any...you know...just to be safe :toothy:
I'm so glad you have faith in me Tammy! :laugh:

#22 ·
Oh,I do! Honest! Thats why I wanted to be the official taste tester..I know everythng will be so delish!! :D

#25 ·
Originally posted by hmsclmom
Thanks Dee for telling me where to find the recipe! I'm going to have to go and get that book!
No Deb, it isn't a book it is a box of pectin. The recipes are inside. Last night I made blackberry jelly, I tasted the juice first and only added 1 cup of sugar. It came out perfect! Just how I like it, nice and tart and will go perfect on thumbprint cookies this Christmas. :lip:

With this type of pectin you can add up to 3 cups of sugar or you can also use sugar substitutes! :thumb: It jelled up great for me although it said you may have a runnier consistency by not using all the sugar the other pectins call for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.