Frugal Village Forums banner

Help.... Roaches!

6K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  janets 
#1 ·
I have been dealing with roaches visiting in my kitchen. They are apparently a building problem in my apt building. I've tried all sorts of things, all natural remedies. I can't take those chemical sprays; they make me dizzy and headachy.

Last I tried a powder, diatomaceous earth, and that helped A LOT. But they came back, thanks to this building, and now the diatomaceous earth doesn't seem to be working so much anymore.

Any ideas besides moving out of this building, which I will when my lease is up in August, but before that need some help? thanks!!

#2 ·
You'll essentially never be able to get rid of them because any time you bomb or spray they will just come from other parts of the building.

Windex (brand name)is a wonder killer and isn't too noxious. Just spray whenever you see one.

Roaches eat anything so you must keep the place clean. Wipe up crumbs and spills, cover food tightly, vacuum often, wipe sinks and tubs dry (they come for water) and eliminate any leaks or drips. They love dark cupboards where it is damp from leaky plumbing. No dirty dishes anywhere.

#3 ·
When I lived in Queensland I used to keep an empty plastic bottle in the kitchen and wack them when they came out in the evening. It made me feel better even if I only got a couple.

Reactions: Ceashels
#4 ·
It is soooo hard to keep them out when living in an apartment building. I found that every time I got new neighbors they ( the roaches) would return. Very Frustrating!

#5 ·
Here is some advice Sammy gave me about roaches. The full conversation is in the "what's in your mind thread" towards the end of october.

As for your stuff. It's not the eggs I am concerned with at the moment. It's live roaches. (Eggs come next if you have any roaches in your stuff). The fact that you said you did not un-pack - makes it's worse. Roaches love boxes (they feed on the glue that the boxes are held together with).

For the stuff in the car - go buy some boric acid (not washing powder) boric acid. Dollar General carries it (next to the mouse traps & such - it's $2 for the bottle here. Looks like a large mustard bottle w/ a squeeze tube on top. White/red labels) - or you can get it at farm supply stores. It will say boric acid on the label. Mix 3 parts boric acid to 1 part white sugar. Then put it in something (like a lid from a jar) - then slide it under the seat of your car. (That's so you don't step on it & spill it). The sugar attracts the roaches, they walk thru the acid - take it back home again & wipe out all their friends.

As for the hotel - if you plan on staying there - go ahead & put the acid/sugar out there too. Try to put it close to your stuff. If you have boxes stacked around - put it close by. You can use a piece of paper or cardboard in the room - just sprinkle it on surface & lay it around. It may be possible that the hotel already sprays (I would hope so anyway) - so that would be enough to take care of what comes inside.

#7 ·
Are the roaches large or small?

The small ones - the German brown (etc) - are indoor scavengers. They are best controlled by using multiple methods. In the food industry you can't use sprays indoors because of dangers of infecting the food. Instead, around food use gels (two different kinds - one is the boric acid and the other is a growth inhibitor) and bait stations (the little no-escape "hotels"). Also be diligent about closing up all your food (use containers with screw-on lids), only eating in one or two areas of the house (kitchen / dining room), and keeping everything off the floor. If you ever wanted to declutter to the point of Zen-clean, this would be a good time.

The big ones are much easier to control. The big ones like to come in from outside. As long as you control the entrances to your home (doors / windows), then they pretty much stay outside. We spray the outside a few times a year and keep a powder barrier at all our doors.

#10 ·
That is part of why we bought a house with less than 5% down when it was not a good decision to do so - we were desperate to get rid of the roaches.

Anything that could bring them with me, I trashed or left - I left so much stuff and spent so much time just to find out the new house had roaches (different kind, so I didin't bring them!). Paid for a pest control contract and after 6 months they finally were really gone. We still have periodic pest issues so we keep our contract, as it makes the solution an easy phone call.

I know that's definitely not for everyone, but I am still happy with the fact that the landlords kept denying there was an issue but they'd only treat the apt that complained rather than the whole building. When we went back for our review on whether we were getting our deposit back, the apt had been empty for a week with no AC. We went in and she opened a drawer to check it and the roaches were EVERYWHERE. I loved it because she finally could see what I had lived with. Ugh.

Reactions: NikoSan999
#11 ·
They are attracted to paper and cardboard or anything that has glue on it. Your kitchen must be immaculate. All flour, sugar, etc. should be sealed up on air tight containers or kept in the refrigerator/freezer. They also need water to survive so wipe down your sinks and showers until they are completely dry at night. Your goal is to have the cleanest unit in the condo and they will go elsewhere (hopefully.)

When I moved into my first apartment I noticed one and lined the parameter with boric acid. Remember, the traps attract them but also kill them. Boric acid kills them without attracting them. If it is an infestation, you might not be able to live there because it will be a never-ending battle.

I don't use chemicals, either. Sorry you're dealing with this.

#12 ·
This won't help you in your specific situation; however this is from wikipedia's list of pest repelling plants.

chrysanthemums-- repel roaches, ants, the Japanese beetle, ticks, silverfish, lice, fleas, bedbugs, and root-knot nematodes[2]

Here is a place to buy bulk chrysanthemums Burrell Seeds | Celebrating 115 years in the seed business! Remember chrysanthemums are perennials. So $23 for a half a pound of seeds is well spent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.