Frugal Village Forums banner

Cat Spayed, not drinking, eating, peeing

7K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  baxjul 
#1 ·
We just adopted a 6-7 mo old cat last night from the shelter. She was spayed on Friday morning. She seems okay but she hasn't had any water to drink (that we have seen) or used the litterbox. she is purring when we pet her, her incision looks great, she's not very active (I wouldn't be either after surgery) but she is not warm/drooling, etc. I will be calling the vet tomorrow that did the surgery, but it has been a long time since I've had a cat spayed so I'm not sure what to expect.
She may have drank, ate, peed or pooped at the shelter prior to my picking her up yesterday afternoon. (They wouldn't have let her go if she hadn't). I just don't know how worried I should be.
I tried putting water on my finger and touching her mouth with it, but she didn't lick it off my finger.

How frantic should I be? :kitty:

#2 ·
Cat's can be so weird. Mine would definitely not lick water off my finger, but DH's would. Also, when we moved into our house, no joke, she didn't use the litter box for 2 days. She was so freaked out from moving.

I would call the vet tomorrow, just to make sure that she was OK before you picked her up, and what you should expect. I know when my Kitty was spayed she was climbing the walls before I picked her up from the vets office. Let us know how she's doing!

#4 ·
oh, I hope kitty feels better soon. Def give the vet a call just to be sure, but I'd bet, too, that she's probably just stressed out and not feeling too well, surgery and a new home and all. I wouldn't worry too much unless she gets to the point where she's trying to wee or drink, and just can't.

#5 ·
First of all congratulations on your new kitty! I love that you adopted her from the HS.
Since cats have surgery on an empty tummy, not to worry if no litter box useage yet. Just keep her full water dishes handy and give moist canned food to tempt her appetite and which will give her extra fluid too. Spaying is a major surgery and so she will need more rest to get well than a male cat's surgery.
The main thing to watch out for is that she is not running a fever! Check and make sure her nose is cool (may be dry or wet).

#6 ·
My kitties just got spayed a couple weeks ago and it took both of them about 2 days before they would eat or drink anything. The move might have upset them. I think they will probably start eating and drinking today. I would call the vet, just to be sure, but I'm sure they will be okay.

#7 ·
Same advice as everyone else but :hugz: to you and your precious kitty. :cat:

#8 ·
Hope your precious kitty is feeling better soon. Let us know how it goes.

#10 ·
Give her a little time to adjust to the new surroundings.

#11 ·
Congratulations on the new family member. I agree with the rest of the posts.

#13 ·
Thanks everyone for your posts! Last night after posting the thread, the site went down! AUGGGGHHHHH.

I found a medical dosing 'syringe' thing that you use for children and gave her 2 teaspoons of water first thing this morning. I called the vet and the vet said that between spaying/shots/microchipping/moving to a new home, it might have been too much for her and she's rebelling. I have to keep using the dosing syringe and giving her as much water as she'll take and try to feed her baby chicken food or canned kitten chicken food. If she doesn't use the litter box by tomorrow, I will have to bring her in. I know she's not dehydrated because if I lift up on her skin between her shoulders, it goes right back down. I can also touch her stomach around her incision and she doesn't cry or move away. She purrs like crazy too. Hopefully when I go home at lunchtime, there'll be something for me to scoop!
Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!

#14 ·
She Peed!!!

I fed her about 3 teaspoons of water at lunchtime and she also ate about 2 teaspoons of canned kitten food. I put her on the floor near her food and she walked away, climbed in the litterbox and peed for about 40 seconds straight!!!!

:mdance:

#19 ·
got up this morning and she had eaten half of her dry food and there was a special thing in the litterbox for me to scoop!

It's a little like toilet training your child: YAY, you peed! YAY, you pooped! :yippee::purpcat:

#20 ·
Yay quiltingmommy, I'm so glad for your girl. :hugz:

I wanted to reply to this post yesterday, but couldn't, even though in the last 2 weeks I have had 3 girls spayed and 2 boys neutered. I just didn't have a clue what was happening with your little girl. :(

So glad she is feeling better now and on her way to recovery. :)

#22 ·
Update on my beautiful Buttons

Well, we've had quite a first week here with our new addition. On Thursday night, ds told me I needed to look at her stitches and I couldn't stand the sight, they were pussy and red and badly infected. I called the vets and brought her right away. She was put on amox and given a cone to wear. As of yesterday, her stomach looked great, nice and pink, no more pus. I guess I didn't look closely enough because this morning I realized that her incision was opened and you could actually see her insides. She is right now at the animal hospital having surgery again to make sure everything is okay inside before they sew her back up. I have to pick her up later today. $$$:thud:

#23 ·
I'm so sorry, is there any way the vet's office who performed the 1st surgery will admit they may have been partly to blame? I'm not sure if they were, but I have had dozens of cats over the years and never heard of this happening after a cat was spayed. You are a good cat mommy to keep bringing your kitty back, it's too bad you have to go through all of this. I hope your kitty will be okay now.

#24 ·
I don't know. I have to call them tomorrow and let them know what happened today. She was actually supposed to go see them tomorrow and be checked out and have her sutures removed. She was able to get the cone off during the night (twice - I heard her the first time) I don't know if she kept pulling at the stitches and pulled it open. It's funny, the vet even said today that looking inside, she looked really healthy, but it was too far open to just put a few stitches in to close it back up.

#26 ·
She's Okay!

:rollsmileJust brought her home a while ago and she's eating and sleeping already. She has to wear the cone for a week and I have to bring her back to have the sutures removed. My poor baby!

ds says she's very cute and cuddly and playful! :rollsmile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.