Frugal Village Forums banner

Bella is being spayed :(

Tags
bella spayed
947 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mommy4ever 
#1 ·
I just dropped Bella off at the clinic. I feel bad for her. She was so excited to be there, wanting to play with the other dogs, licking the techs. Hopefully, she's easy to sedate and is still drugged when I pick her up, because she LIKES going to the vet. I don't want her scared.

BUt it needed to be done. she's 16 months now. Everything should go just fine. I pick her up in 7 hours.

#2 ·
I'm sure she will be ok. ( but that probably doesn't make you feel better right now, it will in 7 hours when you have her home)

I think it is harder on us, than it is them. I usually end up crying when mine go in. Later I feel like a fool, but I worry so much about them.

You are right, she needs to be fixed. Let us know how shes doing.

#3 ·
Awww, she'll be okay. I have had to take many, MANY of my foster dogs to the vet for spay and neuter. The females are usually a little groggy and tired when I pick them up, and you'll have to watch that she doesn't lick her stitches too much. I'd have an area for her to rest and sleep without the puppy bugging her until tomorrow, but by tomorrow morning, she'll be back to her old self. Just watch the stitches to make sure she isn't licking too much. The vet always sends my foster girls home with e-collars, but I usually pull them off and just monitor. They've already been through enough with the surgery. Having a cone on their heads is just humiliating. ;)

#4 ·
Bella is home now. She looks so sad. The incision is sure tiny! She's drugged up, drooling..lol.

Unfortunately, it looks like she had diarhea and it's all over her back end. I'm going to need to clean her, not sure how to go about it.

#6 ·
Awww. Our little Lucy had diarrhea afterwards too. She was sooo helpless. It took about a week and a half for her to return back to her normal self. We used the cone for a while, but she hated it. Just be sure to keep an eye on how here wound heals. Lucy ended up with an infection that required a follow-up doctor's visit and antibiotics.

#7 ·
Hope Bella is felling a bit more perky now?

Just veterinary advice here (used to be a vet nurse/anaesthetist)- if you're gonna clean her up after the diarrhoea, try not to get her wound/stitches at all wet, the suture material the vet may have used might be semi/completely dissolvable and you may end up needing to get her restitched!

To let her system get back to normal after the anaesthetic, especially if she's had diarrhoea (which isn't really routine after a GA) just feed a very bland food, even boiled chicken breast and white rice if you have it. It'll be so much more gentle on her tummy as she recovers over the next 24hrs.

On that note, if she hasn't eaten more that 2-3 teaspoonfuls of food witihn 24hours of getting her home, that's a sign that her metabolism is still supressed from the anaesthetic drugs and so therefore it's still in her body. She'll need to go back to the vets to be checked if that's the case.

Bet you're glad to have her home! Is it her in your avatar? She is SUCH a cutie in that jacket!!

#9 ·
I clipped the hair, and then gently brushed it, so the area is respectably clean. Didn't want to wash her. She's sleeping. I was bad and took the cone off of her. She sniffed the tape once and went to sleep. She's had a teeny bit to eat, but threw it up. She's finally resting though. She was restless and pacing with the cone on. Too big for her to lay int he kennel with. So now she's all cozy and resting well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.