Frugal Village Forums banner

putting down kittens?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  CeeBee 
#1 ·
A heavily pregnant stray adopted us a couple months back. She had five kittens. Three are homed, but I cannot for the life of me find homes for the two girls of the litter.

Craigslist, flyers at the vet's office, local classifieds give us nothing.

We spayed the mother last week. She's a sweetheart and a great mouser.:)

There is no animal shelter in the area. I'm not sure we can deal with THREE cats, either financially or logistically-- I already have four children, a sheepdog, two ferrets and ten chickens.

Would it be terrible to have the kittens put down?

#2 ·
well, that's what a shelter would have to do if not able to rehome them -

and if we look at it from all angles, they were STRAY kittens, not yours by choice or lack of responsibility

so, while it would be sad, it would not be horrible of you.

at least you tried, which is more than one can say for the sorry POS that let their UNSPAYED cat out to wander off in the first place.

:D hope that helps

Reactions: ktsmama
#5 ·
I just don't want to be one of those nutso cat ladies! lol lol.

Really, I hate the thought of putting either of them down, but surely there comes a point at which keeping MORE animals is irresponsible? We already have more than an average number of critters around.

#10 ·
Really, I hate the thought of putting either of them down, but surely there comes a point at which keeping MORE animals is irresponsible? We already have more than an average number of critters around.
But if they stay outside...to remain as mousers......and you just feed them 'away from the house'....they are just 'there'.

I was raised on a farm and we always had a 'gob' of cats around. They weren't allowed to come up to the house to eat. (mainly due to disease potential and spraying) Dad fed them at the barn. Due to coyotes and hawks some had a pretty short life but they were just feral cats.........never tamed.

You mentioned that mom is a good mouser......she should train them accordingly.......which will provide a good part of their food.

#6 ·
Is there maybe a farm in the area that would be willing to have them? Most of the farm families I grew up with in Indiana had upwards of 15 or 20 cats running around all the time. They just bought the food in bulk at the tractor stores and let them hang around the barn.

#7 ·
Is there maybe a farm in the area that would be willing to have them? Most of the farm families I grew up with in Indiana had upwards of 15 or 20 cats running around all the time. They just bought the food in bulk at the tractor stores and let them hang around the barn.
Yep - working animals. Some farms also have cats as pets too, but most of them are cheap, intelligent, highly effective vermin control.

There's a no-kill place near me, but their newsletter keeps talking about how full they are and how they're needing to turn people away (almost unprecedented for them) due to economy and people not choosing to afford their pets anymore.

Maybe you could at least work something out with your vet, or local cooperative extension for free or low cost reproductive prevention surgery for the mama and any kittens you decide to keep to prevent this problem in the future? Just call places, explain the situation and ask. Worst that happens is they say no.

#9 ·
what city are you in?

#11 ·
You mentioned having 4 children. With that many kids I'm sure one of them is bound to know someone at school who would love a cat. Or maybe one of their friends has a cousin/aunt/grandmother who wants one or something. I can't for the life of me see myself putting any animal down. I'll go into the poorhouse/crazyhouse first. That's just me though.

#12 ·
i have 6 cats and a hi bread wolf and i could never put do3wn my baby's all the cat except one was either abandoned or from the animal shelters cats choose you you don't choose a cat a dog will just obey the master or mistress here in wv the animal shelters will not put down the animals when they are full they don,t accept any new ones till they get rid of some first -i feel for you i wouldn't want to have to put them down

#13 ·
I wouldn't do it ~ I couldn't. Having an animal put down isn't cheap either.

I would either keep looking for new homes, go to a larger city's humane society, or keep them.

That's just me :)

ETA ~ I had to take my dogs to a kennel today while we go on a trip and it just about broke my heart.

#16 ·
I wouldn't do it ~ I couldn't. Having an animal put down isn't cheap either.

I would either keep looking for new homes, go to a larger city's humane society, or keep them.

That's just me :)

ETA ~ I had to take my dogs to a kennel today while we go on a trip and it just about broke my heart.
Have to side with the "I couldn't" side. If they're mousing, that's food and a big bag of cat food non brand isn't that bad. There's also table scraps. Dogs can share what little the cats eat. I just couldn't do it. Ask the shelter what vet they use and contact him/her. Maybe they will cut you slack on rescue and multiple.
We have a cat rescue lady here and she uses one vet. Sometimes he does it for free and sometimes dirt cheap.

#15 ·
I think it would be hard to put the kittens down. However if you exhaust every avenue available to you I can't see how anyone can say you did anything wrong. After all they are strays and you didn't acquire them as pets on purpose.

Every pet means more $. Inside or outside pets they still need shots and care. I spent so much $ on stray cats it is ridiculous. I decided no more could come inside EVER ( I have 2 inside~ had 4 but put 1 down and Kas died at 18). I still have had to spend cash on the outside strays that have show up when they get hurt, sick etc. So outdoor cats are not always cost free

I love animals and all 5 of my indoor pets were strays and rescues. I feed the cats that have showed up outside. However if I didn't draw the line I would have 50 pets because there are always strays and I always like them.

You know if taking on all these cats is too much work responsibility or $ so the decision is yours alone. Don't feel guilty if you have exhausted every outlet to give the babies a home.

I got guilted into spending thousands on a stray that peed all over before sadly putting her down. I should have put her down long before I did because she was wild and not adoptable. Many health checks, vet bills, behavior training, every litter and box (up to $200 for 1!) there was and ultimately spent thousands replacing floors because none of it worked. I know some people thought this was terrible and I did feel bad but come on this was all for a stray cat not a pet I actively sought.

I like the idea of asking the kids school friends. What about a sign in your front yard????

Around here we can not take them to another citys pound as you must show ID that you live there. The only other idea I have is having someone in a city without a full pound call it in as a found stray.

#17 ·
I'm in Central Missouri. Closest major city is St Louis, and that's about 200 miles out. My oldest child is five, so y'all can do the math and figure out why I feel a little over-extended.

Might be able to keep them if they stayed outside. I called the humane society and they say they will try to help with the cost of having these girls spayed. Mama's already spayed. I do NOT need a new litter every six months, but I also don't have endless dollars to shell out at the vet's office.

Though the little stinkers are cute. Too cute. lol My husband is quite opposed to putting them down, but is he ever home to clean up/feed/keep the kids from torturing them? ohhhh no! rofl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.