Opinion please, moving small animals to basement
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Opinion please, moving small animals to basement

Since the dogs can no longer be trusted loose in the basement (they potty in it) I am considering taking back my spare bedroom upstairs and moving the small animals to the basement.

I want to move my computer back into that room, its a very bright and sunny room that I want to have as a guest room when my oldest returns home.

Pros:
    I would get a very bright, warm, sunny room out of the deal.
    The dogs could be in the room with me and they wont potty in a carpeted room.
    I would spread the current small pets out into the basement and be able to get around easier as there isn't much room in the spare bedroom.
    I would be able to get to the chameleon who is on a food strike right now. Currently he's high up on a pole and I can't get to him due to the arrangement of the room and limited space.
    I would be able to spread out the supply area as well, which right now is getting crowded.

Cons: basement is darker, cooler, which would mean beefing up my lighting and heating situation. On a plus side, cooling would not be an issue because its cooler down there in the summer. I currently run the AC in the sunny room during the summer.

Part of me says "why would you move critters out of such a sunny warm room and pay for heating?" and part of me says "it would be so great to spread out!! I have so much room in the basement why am I climbing around this tiny bedroom trying to care for everyone?"

Critters involved: two hedgehogs in a large kiddie pool, 1 box turtle in a large kiddie pool, 1 chameleon on a live tree with climbing pole of vines. All need higher heat, turtle and chameleon I usually keep in closer quarters to each other because they want higher humidity as well.

Gosh, now that I've written this I almost think a green house tent type situation would be awesome for the chameleon and turtle.

Anyhow, would you do it? I'm looking at another 1.5 years for the hedgies to live, the chameleon, if he pulls out of his current stubborness can live up to 10 years, the turtle can live another 25+ years. So this, in my hopes, would be for very long term.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Crate train and housebreak your dogs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would be afraid that the critters would get sick or die to suddenly move them to a colder and darker place. I don't know much about the critters that you have though. I agree to train the dogs who are misbehaving. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The basement housetraining has been a battle for years but recently escalated with our latest rescue. They are crate trained and housebroken for the rest of the house. For now they are baby-gated out of the basement and it has become storage and gaming.
    I feel like I have all this space in one area and no space in another.

Ok more motivation to pay off stuff so I can make finished basement rooms in the future.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we have 2 dogs that cannot be trusted either. lol

we do have a porch w/ a gas heater that they stay on during the day and are only allowed in the house when i can truly keep a good eye on them. at night, theyhave a crate in a heated finished warm basement w/ beds and blankies and toys in it. i ge them out when i get up at 6am