Bella ate chocolate!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    If you have a Kong toy or other hollow rubber chew toy, stuff it with things like marshmallows and peanut butter.
    Yes, we've done that and it lasted for quite some time until one dog ate ALL the peanut butter. I cannot even begin to explain the mess.
    I saved 100% by buying nothing. Best sale of the year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    Say, FrugalFannie, I've taken to requesting or picking up dog food samples at the pet stores for my kennel-treats.
    I do that too.

We have one farm store that always has sample bags for the taking.
    (with a sign that says please take only one!)

They have even gotten cat treats/food.

I also have a farm store that sells the tiny bone shaped treats by the pound.

I was buying "Charley Bears" at Pet smart until they quit carrying them. Petco carries them, but they are ridiculous for a price that I won't pay!

If they are on their 'diets' (Oreo usually is)..........they get a tiny bone......broken in half! (am sure THAT pleases them!!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cheap Kong Treats: plug small hole with glob of cream cheese, fill Kong with homemade chicken stock (low sodium), put in coffee mug (I use anyway) and freeze. I hand out frozen Kongs when my guys have to be crated. Chicken stock melts SLOWLY as they lick it. No mess. Lasts several hours. Sometimes, if I'm feeling generous, I drop pieces of dog cookie in there with the stock.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Has Bella Tried out the crate yet?

Our four year old lab loves her crate. We call it her bedroom.

She started in it though from the day she came home.

We leave the door to it open and she can go in there anytime she wants. We tell the children if she is in there she wants some alone time. She will nap in there a bunch.

She started out in a crate everynight and while I was away (SAHM) then weaned off of night time carsting . Then allowed out when I left with the upstairs and the kitchen gated off. Now the gates are normally down all the time and she is allowed everywhere unless she has been in the trash recently ( which normally doesn't happen as we keep a brick on top of it now)

Now she only gets crated when a new person comes over ( she gets overly excited and jumps to much that scares some people since she is big) or if she just gets to wound up and needs a time out. LOL She will usually put herself in the crate at those times now If the door bell rings or we request she go in to the crate she heads right over most of the time. She will even wait with the crate door open sometimes. She might be ready to graduate to a pillow soon. Maybe
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Imagine ~ We've given it a few trial runs today. First time she magically got out - it was locked before and after - I suspect she teleported. Next time I gave her a Kong with peanut butter and assorted goodies - she stayed in that time. Fingers crossed for tomorrow - she will be home alone for a good part of the day but I will come home at lunch to let her out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the marshmallow idea for giving pills. My new dog is seriously like dr jekyll and mr hyde. He is so good when we are home; we don't even know he is here. He doesn't even bark to go outside. When we leave him by himself the other personality comes out. Dh didn't crate him the other morning because he thought I was coming right back home. He chewed a leather pair of my sandals (thank goodness they were goodwill priced; still NOT HAPPY), chewed a Christmas project I was working on, got ahold of something from the bulk food store and opened it all over, chewed a newspaper and the plastic bag. Ok your turn to laugh Russ!!!! We hate crating him, but he has just lost his freedom till he gets it!! LOL

Oowl;
    Haven't seen my kong in awhile; been w/o a dog. How do you freeze liquid in the kong when it is open at both ends? I like this idea!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by craftypam View Post
    Dh didn't crate him the other morning because he thought I was coming right back home. He chewed a leather pair of my sandals (thank goodness they were goodwill priced; still NOT HAPPY), chewed a Christmas project I was working on, got ahold of something from the bulk food store and opened it all over, chewed a newspaper and the plastic bag. Ok your turn to laugh Russ!!!! !
    And I totally am.
    I saved 100% by buying nothing. Best sale of the year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The crate is absolutely NOT working. Bella managed to pry the bars open, a la Superman, and make a dog sized opening. She cut her face when she squeezed her way out. Sigh. At least the cuts aren't too bad.

Today's path of destruction:

Me: How was the wrap I made for your lunch?
    DD: What wrap?
    Me: The one with the peppers in it.
    D: I didn't HAVE a wrap.
    Me: What's that shiny stuff on Bella's pillow.
    DD: The tinfoil that must have been around my wrap.

Also.....another water bottle (which no longer contains water), a roll of toilet paper, the front page of the newspaper, some assorted bits and pieces of something no longer identifiable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bella has separation anxiety/separation boredom. You'll need to work on alone training.
    Make sure she is good and tired before you leave, this helps!
    Do you have a kong? If not, this might be helpful. Make a mix of canned dog food and yogurt (the minced kind of dog food, not chunks) Fill the kong with a few pieces of kibble then the food mix, layer the kong until full. then freeze. Give this to bella 5 minutes before leaving.
    then make your exit uneventful. No goodbye bella, no acknowledgement. Then come back after 10-15 minutes. Rinse and repeat increasing your time.
    It will take a while, but you should be successful.

there are some good ideas here
    Good luck!
    It is what it is.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123