Frugal Village Forums banner

Bella ate chocolate!!!

4K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  MTS04 
#1 ·
While we were at the burial today, Bella decided to have a party without us.

She managed to open the door to one of the cupboards and pulled out the baking supplies.

She ripped open a bag of coconut and flung it around like confetti. She pulled all sorts of stuff out fo the cupboard and worst of all, got a canister of cocoa and ate it all. It was all over her face when I got home.

I truly can't swing the emergency vet.

She barfed HUGE shortly after we got home. She's also had one episode of the runs. I think she has "gotten rid" of most of it.

Now she is sleeping beside the bed. I wish I knew doggie first aid. Poor baby. :(

#3 ·
That's a great tip Bev! Thanks!

I hope Bella gets better soon Daisy! :hugz:

#5 ·
After a sleepless (and very yucky) night, Bella is in fine fettle this morning. She is chasing cats with great abandon, ignoring commands cheerfully and running like a fool in the backyard. Meanwhile, I'm sluggishly trying to keep up.

She really made herself very sick. I truly cannot figure out how she got this cupboard open. I keep baking supplies in my buffet and she managed to actually get ahold of a handle and pull the darn thing open somehow. Unbeleivable the determination of this dog!

I'm so glad she's okay - now I have to disinfect the house where the chocolate was not so pleasant the second time around. :puck:

#6 ·
Psst, crate.

Glad she is ok. Next thing she gets into she might not be. Please heed this! Hugs.

Reactions: Daisygirl
#7 ·
KRB - yes - this was eye-opening. She's never been crated before, which concerns me for the adjustment. However this si not just for the mess - it's for her safety. We already planned to get the crate out of the attic and set up today.

#8 ·
We left Charlie in the house for half an hour yesterday un-crated. In that amount of time he, chewed a slipper, took a bunch of bananas to the couch and bit in to one, took a bag of apples to the other couch, a head of lettuce, grabbed a cantaloupe off the counter, a blue tooth ear bud and some plastic lures (no hooks).

We had one dog that ate an entire 9X13 carrot cake!

They get used to the crate quickly!

#9 ·
Russ - we refer to this as "The Path of Destruction." As in "What did the Path of Destruction include today?"

She'll deal with it as long as she has something to chew on. This pup certainly loves to chew. It scares me to my senses how sick she got last night!

#10 ·
Daisy, it sounds like your Bella is one smart cookie opening the cupboards and all. Perhaps those baby latches would help keep her out of the cupboards?

I'm so glad she's well this morning and obviously enjoying being part of your family. I hope you feel better too :hugz: Maybe a strong cup of coffee, or 2, maybe 3?

Reactions: Daisygirl
#12 ·
Oh you poor girl! :hugz:

#13 ·
Glad she's okay. Normally the amount of chocolate a dog gets in stuff like brownies isn't enough to do any damage, but the powdered stuff probably has a lot more in it. I don't know what percentage of chocolate is in the powder. Obviously more than something mixed with other ingredients. Scary stuff.

I managed to poison one of our dogs last weekend while we were camping. She gets one small pill and a large tablet in the morning, and so do I. Our meds were in similar containers, I didn't have my glasses, and you can guess what happened. Some friends we were camping with called their vet in Chicago, since that vet has Saturday hours and ours doesn't, although I could have gotten hold of them if I had to. I mention all this because I learned a good tip: Hydrogen peroxide makes dogs puke. We rushed to the grocery store in town and picked up a bottle, plus one of those injector syringes like you'd use to inject turkeys with. The injector syringe, minus the needle of course, worked great to get the peroxide down her throat. The vet had told us to give her a tablespoon of the peroxide (our dog weighs forty pounds, and luckily I knew that offhand). Wait ten minutes, and give a second dose if she didn't puke. Wait ten more minutes, then if she still hadn't puked, find an emergency vet ASAP. Luckily, she puked up the meds within about a minute of getting the first dose.

We were lucky, and we know it. We could have lost our girl. You can believe, this mistake will never happen again.

Google for pet first aid kits and get yourself a list of items to keep on hand for your pets. Pets can use some human meds like Pepto Bismol and aspirin, but, and this is a HUGE but, make sure you check with your vet before giving them ANY meds and find out the proper dosages BEFORE you need them. When you're in crisis mode is not when you should be trying to figure those kinds of things out. Note the dosages prominently on any containers you keep for pet use, so there are no mix-ups. You can also Google for pet first aid and print out some info.

#15 ·
Ann;
This is my 4th dog. This is the only one that has gotten into things so bad that we need to crate him. I'm hoping this will pass and he will be able to be trusted at some point. I think right now he punishes us for leaving him. If my dh is sleeping and I go out he doesn't get into things.

Russ;
I was cracking up reading your post. When you can actually visualize it; makes it even funnier. I know not funny to you.
Have you had to crate other dogs and are your others still crated?

To anyone who crates or has crated a dog; how do you get them to like being in the crate when you don't have the time (days) to wait until they like it. Right now he hates it and some days I need to go out to get something done. I'm not talking 8 hours a day.

TIA

#25 ·
Russ;
I was cracking up reading your post. When you can actually visualize it; makes it even funnier. I know not funny to you.
Have you had to crate other dogs and are your others still crated?

To anyone who crates or has crated a dog; how do you get them to like being in the crate when you don't have the time (days) to wait until they like it. Right now he hates it and some days I need to go out to get something done. I'm not talking 8 hours a day.

TIA
None of the others are crated, but they are gated in the dining room/kitchen area.
Charlie gets a treat when he gets in the cage, as do the other dogs when we leave.

Charlie has a few nick names... one being "Chaos". :laugh:

#19 ·
Love these dog stories keep them coming. You know those flip top garbage cans; the narrow ones that fit in small places? Well, when my sons were teens they would supersize their meal to get larger pop and throw the extra food in the garbage can; Welllll my endless pit golden retriever stuck her head in the garbage can to eat and the lid got stuck around her neck and when I found her she wasn't even trying to get the lid off anymore. Pets can be soooo funny.

#21 ·
Heyyy, did you post that on YouTube? I recently watched the same scenario on YouTube! It was ADORABLE!

#22 ·
Funny stories........reminds me why I crate my dogs.

Will have to remember the black toast and hydrogen peroxide tip...........good to know.

God only knows what my little black girl would do if I didn't crate her...........I say "have to run some errands" and she zooms to her kennel............for her treat!!! They never get put in the kennel without a tiny treat...........unless it is for punishment.
Had to find some SMALL treats as they get, at the minimum, of two a day.........bed time.........and late night pee time.

#27 ·
Say, FrugalFannie, I've taken to requesting or picking up dog food samples at the pet stores for my kennel-treats. That way its just one small kibble bite but its different than their daily dog food so they think its a treat.

Oh yah, mine get a little treat every time. The larger the treat the longer the stay, I wonder if they've realized that yet? heehee, I can just picture them telling each other, "awww man she's going to work, we're getting one of those 8 hour treats."

#28 ·
Bella has two new nicknames:

Beastly Bella (that one was created by DD10)

Bella the Destroyer (this can double as her professional wrestling name, should she become famous for that)

#29 ·
I do have to admit Charlie is quite the character and has brought complete randomness to our house. You never know what he will do.
Two Buck Chuck (another nickname) 'LAUNCHES' himself from the chair to the sofa, regardless of who is on the couch.
He can be laying there sleeping and suddenly wake up, grab a squeeky toy and go running through the house as fast as he can go.

Absolute nut job this dog is..

#30 ·
If you have a Kong toy or other hollow rubber chew toy, stuff it with things like marshmallows and peanut butter. Cheap treats. Marshmallows are also cheap treats by themselves, if your dog likes them. A bag of mini marshmallows would provide many small treats for very little money.

We also use marshmallows to give our dogs pills.

#33 ·
Cheap Kong Treats: plug small hole with glob of cream cheese, fill Kong with homemade chicken stock (low sodium), put in coffee mug (I use anyway) and freeze. I hand out frozen Kongs when my guys have to be crated. Chicken stock melts SLOWLY as they lick it. No mess. Lasts several hours. Sometimes, if I'm feeling generous, I drop pieces of dog cookie in there with the stock.

Reactions: krbshappy71
#34 ·
Has Bella Tried out the crate yet?

Our four year old lab loves her crate. We call it her bedroom.

She started in it though from the day she came home.

We leave the door to it open and she can go in there anytime she wants. We tell the children if she is in there she wants some alone time. She will nap in there a bunch.

She started out in a crate everynight and while I was away (SAHM) then weaned off of night time carsting . Then allowed out when I left with the upstairs and the kitchen gated off. Now the gates are normally down all the time and she is allowed everywhere unless she has been in the trash recently ( which normally doesn't happen as we keep a brick on top of it now)

Now she only gets crated when a new person comes over ( she gets overly excited and jumps to much that scares some people since she is big) or if she just gets to wound up and needs a time out. LOL She will usually put herself in the crate at those times now If the door bell rings or we request she go in to the crate she heads right over most of the time. She will even wait with the crate door open sometimes. She might be ready to graduate to a pillow soon. Maybe ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.