Skunk spray removel!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Skunk spray removel!

Yesterday while walking my dog (early twilight...hard to see) she was wondering a bit ahead, and by the time I realized she wasn't checking out a CAT, it was too late :-( She got a direct hit!

After checking with my Vet I got some SkunkOff shampoo which worked pretty well, but the main area under her left ear where it was concentrated, still lingered pretty badly.

This morning I used the peroxide/baking soda/dawn remedy and it worked VERY well and as far as I can tell, it's about 99% gone. She's golden X mutt, so she's pretty fuzzy.

The solution is 1 qt peroxide, mixed with 1/4 cup baking soda and about 1-2 teas Dawn dish soap. Mix it up and pour it slpwly onto directly hit area and rub it in well and let sit for about 10 minutes. Be very careful around eyes, but I used a cloth to wipe her face with it. Rinse well. May need to be repeated...but I found it worked miraculously!!!
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have experienced the same results. The skunk off.. eh, it was ok, but the home made recipe is the best.

The question is: Do you still feel as though you smell it? Maybe subconsciously?
    Last edited by Russ; 02-02-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    I saved 100% by buying nothing. Best sale of the year.

Telling the truth means you never have to remember which lie you told.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dd lives in farm country and her dogs get sprayed at least a couple of times a year LOL....funny to me, not so funny to her !

She washes her dogs in tomato juice. I'm going to give her your recipe, it has to be cheaper than tomato juice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought it was common knowledge anymore that tomato juice doesn't really work.

And yes, I still smell skunk...or think I do. I think it is burned into my nasal passages!
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    I thought it was common knowledge anymore that tomato juice doesn't really work.

And yes, I still smell skunk...or think I do. I think it is burned into my nasal passages!
    Tomato juice seems to work for my daughter just fine. But, this recipe definitely has to be cheaper. She has 5 dogs but, Chloe and Cricket are the only two that seem to get sprayed LOL...they just can't keep their noses to themselves.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the recipe, nice to have since we have skunks around here.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not sure how effective it is compared to the peroxide version but when my parents' dog got sprayed (and they had attempted tomato juice), I tried my hand at de-stinking the pup. I used liquid dish soap and baking soda mixed together and scrubbed into the fur, washed out with a vinegar rinse. It worked great (I'm sure that the basic idea is exactly the same as the peroxide, dawn and baking soda recipe posted above). There was still some skunky smell in the house after but I'm not sure how much of that was sprayed dog and how much was what the dog had distributed through the house when he ran back in after being sprayed. lol

As mentioned, be careful around the eyes, ears and nose!!
    Plenty of income, plenty of savings but I'm spinning as my previous financial goals have changed and I'm still trying to work out my new plan of attack.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Skunk gets in the pores. So if it rains,she sweats etc, don't be surprised if it comes baack up!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our vet recommended odoban (sams club). The gallon lasts forever as it is very concentrated. Our dogs got skunked 3 times in 2 months so I will never be without again. I feel for you that is so stinky!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You're going to be smelling skunk for a while, anytime your pup gets wet.
    Unfortunately, the oils in the skunk spray get absorbed pretty quickly. The skunk recipe works well though.
    here's hoping for fresher smelling days for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dog got ahold of a skunk and came in the house just salivating horribly; we used that recipe and it worked great; we could actually tolerate the dog to let her in the house for the night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    Our vet recommended odoban (sams club). The gallon lasts forever as it is very concentrated. Our dogs got skunked 3 times in 2 months so I will never be without again. I feel for you that is so stinky!
    Hi,
    Just went to sams club website and there are sooooo many formulas; which one did you use. Alot of them do not come in gallon sizee.

Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by craftypam View Post
    Hi,
    Just went to sams club website and there are sooooo many formulas; which one did you use. Alot of them do not come in gallon sizee.

Thanks

This is the only one ours carries. OdoBan - 128 oz. jug & 24 oz. bottle - Sam's Club