Any one else have a Gluten-Free dog? Make their own dog food?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Any one else have a Gluten-Free dog? Make their own dog food?

In Jan. 2011 I found out my four year "mystery illness" (in which I truly thought I was dying the final year) was Celiac Disease. All I had to do was go gluten-free and I was cured *yipee*. Anyone that is gluten free knows you ever go to more of a whole foods diet or you spend a FORTUNE on GF substitutes. I chose the whole foods route.

Fast forward to this year when I welcomed the cutiest puppy into our home. She is 1/2 American Bulldog, 1/4 Lab and 1/4 Shar-pei. Did not know until after we got her that Shar-pei's tend to be gluten intolerant So, I switched her food to GF dog food (VERY expensive! and we had to switch our other dog too because we couldn't keep the puppy out of the older dogs food) and all of her whining, itching and red eyes cleared right up.

Anyway, I can NOT find a gluten free dog food that BOTH dogs like so I have resorted to boiling a whole chicken and adding brown rice and mixed veggies......FOR BOTH FEEDINGS A DAY . I make up about two days worth at a time but man oh man it takes up a lot of time. Now that they have had the chicken/rice/veggie mixture they snub their noses all together at the dry kibble.

Anyone else make their own dog food and do you have any suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a gluten intolerant dog, or at least I don't think I do, but we have two dogs that do need LID food. (LID = limited ingredient diet)

I don't know if it's gluten free, but we buy this stuff > Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredients Diets Sweet Potato & Venison Natural Dry Dog Food - petco.com

They do have canned food as well.
    I saved 100% by buying nothing. Best sale of the year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy evo for my dogs. It is grain free. Nit sure about gluten but it looks like it is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The natural balance is gluten free but a 28 lb bag is $60 some dollars. I would go through that in 1 week and a half or so because both of my dogs are big dogs. Not sure about the EVO because I couldn't find it on the petco website. Honestly, it seems like when I find a brand one likes the other hates it and vice versa. The only one they both like is the one I make (of corse...lol)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Costco sells their own brand of grain free (but not specifically gluten free) food under the name Natures Domain. They have a salmon & sweet potato and turkey & sweet potato.

It's very good food at a great price and my dogs do wonderfully on it. I switched becasue I needed something cheaper than California Natural (which wasn't grain free), but the food ended up clearing up a couple of chronic issues my dogs had.

We are big fans of Nature's Domain in our house!

Kara

ETA: a 30 pound bag is about $28.
    Last edited by moasmom; 02-08-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: add info

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by moasmom View Post
    Costco sells their own brand of grain free (but not specifically gluten free) food under the name Natures Domain. They have a salmon & sweet potato and turkey & sweet potato.

It's very good food at a great price and my dogs do wonderfully on it. I switched becasue I needed something cheaper than California Natural (which wasn't grain free), but the food ended up clearing up a couple of chronic issues my dogs had.

We are big fans of Nature's Domain in our house!

Kara

ETA: a 30 pound bag is about $28.
    I will have to check that out because we are switching to Costco from Sam's Club this month because we moved and Costco is way closer now Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use Blue brand from Petsmart for my cats which is grain free. Blue also has dog food that is grain free.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by hnybny91 View Post
    I will have to check that out because we are switching to Costco from Sam's Club this month because we moved and Costco is way closer now Thanks so much!
    Sounds like great timing. And remember, with Costco, you can return it if your dogs won't eat it. I hope it works for them (and you) even though it's not specifically gluten free.

I have large dogs, btw, 2 rescued racing greyhounds. They each get 4 cups a day (2 cups, 2x a day), and a bag lasts me ~3 weeks.

Kara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make my own dog food (not normally gluten free--but depends on the grain I use) bc I love her and want to give her food that tastes good.

This is what I do for my beagle and she eats about 1c of this 2x per day.

4lb of meat--I either use a mix of lean and higher fat ground beef, ground turkey or I buy a 10lb bag of chicken leg quarters.
    1 large can of tomatoes
    2lbs frozen veggies minced in food processor
    some other veggie I have around such as cabbage or carrots
    2 14 oz cans of fat free refried beans
    starch--7 cups old fashioned rolled oats or 1.5 lbs brown rice or 3-4lbs white or sweet potatoes minced in food processor
    1/3 c. flax seed
    seasoning according to meat (I use poultry seasoning for the chicken and turkey)
    salt

When I do the leg quarters, I boil them about 2 hours in a massive pot. Then pull the chicken out and pick the meat from the skin and bones and chop it. Meanwhile the broth is chilling in the fridge. When it cools, I skim the hardened chicken fat off the top.

With the exception of the rice which I must cook seperately because it takes so long to cook, I mix the other starches in at the end. I must cook the potatoes once they're in about 10 minutes but with the oatmeal, I just lay it on top and make certain it's wet with the broth before I put the lid on and let it cook 5 minutes. If starches are mixed to the bottom of the pot before everything is cooked, they will stick and burn.

For my dog, this is enough food to last her about 3 weeks. It's a big deal when I do it but she's happier and I think healthier. I don't think I could get a dog food that's better quality and I know that (relatively speaking) it's pretty cheap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by hnybny91 View Post
    This is off the subject, but to let you know that if you get the Costco membership and Amex from them you get 3% off gas purchases and 1% off food purchases and 2% off travel. They send you a check once a year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The Honest Kitchen has GLuten free dog food. It's dehydrated, so all you have to do is add water.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is the EVO link Grain-Free, Low Carbohydrate, and Protein-Rich Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food and Dog Treats ? Meator Poultry-Based Pet Food ? EVO Pet Products

All 3 of mine love it. They do eat MUCH less of this than they do of normal dog food. Because they eat less I really don't spend much more than when I bought Proplan years ago.

There is also less poop in the yard. Gross but true!

I have friends that feed their Taste of The Wild and rave about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am thinking about trying the "Taste of the Wild" cat food. One of our cats has to have the expensive cat food. He pukes up the cheap stuff.

I have also started supplementing their canned wet food with homemade. I cook up some sort of meat and give them a portion of it each day instead of cans. It is way cheaper.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the suggestions every one

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sometimes I wish I could make my cat food. Unfortunately she rarely eats anything that does not come in a package labled CAT FOOD. Seriously, not even real chicken or salmon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast