Does Spaying Cause more Frequent Urination?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Does Spaying Cause more Frequent Urination?

HI FVers,

I've got a problem...or maybe not. My Bailey Belle was spayed (at 5 months old) this past Friday, the 18th of January. Prior to that she was able to "hold it" all night. We'd go potty at 10 pm, and then again at 5:00 am when we got up. She wasn't completely house trained but well on the way towards getting there. Now that she's been spayed, she wants to go out to potty every 3 hours. If we go to bed at 10, she wakes me at 1:00 to go out, then again at 4...and that's AM folks, so I'm not all that thrilled (well I AM thrilled that she wakes me rather than just going in the bed). Will this eventually stop? She also asks to go out multiple times during the day and if not taken will go pee in a corner (luckily we keep paper for her in that corner just in case). I've read that spaying can cause incontinence, but I don't think that is the issue here, as she IS able to hold it, and isn't having accidents in the house, it is just that she has to go WAY more frequently than she used to.

I suppose if this never changes I can get used to sleeping in 3 hour stretches (or maybe not, and I'll go crazy and you'll see me featured on the evening news). But I'd love to hear from others, what was your experience after spaying (the doggie that is)
    Mom to one furbaby: Bailey
    and two waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Willow (6/2003-8/2012) and Xander (?/2003-6/2003) R.I.P.

2013 Reading Challenge: 0/25
    2013 No Spend Days: ?/275
    2013 Weight Loss Challenge: 2/50lbs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Keeping paper 'just in case' teaches your dog to use the paper. She will never be completely house trained if she is taught to go in a certain spot in the house.

We've had a lot of dogs over the years, all female, and none have ever had to go more frequently due to being spayed. Maybe the trauma of the surgery is a factor for your dog, I don't know. Or maybe there is a lingering after-effect from the drugs. Some drugs take weeks to be completely gone.

I would call the vet and get his or her professional opinion and suggestions.

I hope your doggy gets back to her old routine. Try crating her at night and see if that helps.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No not in about 8 dogs and 30 cats have I had that issue. I would check for a bladder infection for starters w/ the vet and go from there.Sorry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had the same thought as the poster abve me...urinary tract infection? Is she going a lot when she goes, or just a little bit? See nay signs of blood? Is she ok otherwise? I would call the vet to discuss it.

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $146,344.05
    Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$884.63

Menu planning challenge- goal- 41/51 done 3/51
    Coupon challenge: $44.45 saved $13.38 spent buying coupons

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would have her checked for UTI too. That always causes those problems. I will say that Bella's spay caused her a problem for a day or two but that was it. But she's had two UTIs and those symptoms are exactly what her were. It's the same for them as it is for us!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone. The concensus here seems to be UTI. I also checked online and saw that quite a few folks experienced this after spay, and in many cases it cleared up on its own in a few days but in many others it was UTI. Just to be safe I'm gonna take her to the vet. She's otherwise fine, tons of energy, there isn't any blood in her urine, its volume is relative to her water consumption. And she may just be responding to us asking her a million times a day "wanna go outside and pee pee" especially since she doesn't pee every time we take her out--might just want to go out and play. But it is the night time stuff that is concerning though, so off to the vet it is!
    Mom to one furbaby: Bailey
    and two waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Willow (6/2003-8/2012) and Xander (?/2003-6/2003) R.I.P.

2013 Reading Challenge: 0/25
    2013 No Spend Days: ?/275
    2013 Weight Loss Challenge: 2/50lbs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh. check anyway but it may be just hunting smells in that case. We do last time potty time sing song at night and thats all folks. otherwise we ferdoodle all night long sniffing stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our dog who is 2 and half seems to go through spurts where she gets up in the night like that . We are in a stage now. She goes out at around 11 and we go to bed. Without fail for the last few nights she has woke me up at 3 or 4 to go back out. I do not notice any change during the day though at all. She goes out when she gets up around 7 and then maybe two more times during the day unless its nice and the kids are in and out and in pool etc. I just told dh this morning I feel like I have a newborn again.
    Kim

Wife to dh Jeff for 23 years

Mom to dd 18 dd 14

3 very spoiled cats

1 dog

Book Challenge 2014 - 1 / 24