Frugal Village Forums banner

Scared the you-know-what outta me!

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Mamaw 
#1 ·
This afternoon when the older kids got home from school (3:30pm) DD mentioned that she couldn't find the cat. I didn't think much of it, thinking he was probably hiding from the youngest who tends to terrorize him or he got into the basement. Well, by dinnertime he still hadn't shown up so I started to worry.

That's when I remembered that the 4yo had left the door open while letting the dogs out...at 11:30am :eek: The cat must have gotten out then. OMGosh, he's an indoor cat. We adopted him from a shelter at 7 mos old, he's declawed & neutered. Doesn't know anything about mean cats or dogs, as he gets along with both. He's such a gentle giant...he's a Maine Coon and huge, but he's just a big baby and his meow isn't very loud.

Dh & I both took the flashlight out and walked around the house looking for him...we live on a fairly busy street.

We were all beside ourselves with worry. Poor baby wouldn't even know how to fend for himself. And we have a freeze warning tonight. By 7:30pm I couldn't stand it anymore. I took his food dish outside, thinking if he was even a few houses away he would hear me shaking the food in it. I sat on the porch steps and shook the bowl. Within seconds I heard something under the stairs. It was our kitty!!!
He had gotten outside 8 hours earlier and gotten under the porch & couldn't get back out. We led him back to the hole he crawled through by shaking the food dish again. He was purring so hard he was literally vibrating.

When I took him in the house, all the kids burst out crying because they had been worried too. He's just like another kid. I don't even want to think about the 'what ifs' :(

See less See more
#4 ·
When I was a teen we had a Maine Coon too, named Lenny. I miss him tons, he was so great. I am so glad you found your furbaby and that he was safe and sound!

#5 ·
My cats are indoor only cats too. A month or so ago, Harvey got out. I spent most of the night (until 2:30 a.m.) looking for him and was up and out by 8:30 the next morning (Sunday). He had made it as far as my neighbor's garage and was under his outdoor workbench, scared to death. I was practically hyperventilating by the time we found him. I know exactly how you feel; thank heavens your fur baby is OK!:paw:

#7 ·
Aww, glad you found him. He reminds me of my cat but yours is thinner.;) Isn't that color beautiful, especially love rubbing my cats belly,lol.

#10 ·
How much does he weigh? Mine is about 21 lbs.

He definately has a good belly just right for rubbing.;)

#11 ·
Awww....poor baby!! One time Peanut got out and started bouncing across the backyard...if she hadn't been in heat I probably never would have caught her....I know that feeling. Glad he's safe and sound...he's beautiful. :D

#12 ·
He's beautiful. Lenny was a light grey and had weighed 25 at his heaviest, but generally around 23.

#14 ·
I'm so glad you found him. He's a gorgeous cat.

DorothyBeverly, I had a siamese cat called Peanuts when I was a teenager. He got out once and I walked the streets around our home looking for thim and yelling out "Peanuts!" ... until a man yelled back: "I'll have two packs please." Peanuts eventually came home by himself, but my teenaged self was embarrassed and mortified.

#15 ·
Darlene said:
How much does he weigh? Mine is about 21 lbs.

He definately has a good belly just right for rubbing.;)
He's about 16lbs. The vet says he won't get to his full size until around age 5...he's only 2 now so I can only imagine :eek: His paws are HUGE lol

And he loves his belly to be rubbed. Every other cat we've ever had would shred your arm if you dared touch their bellies...not him!

#18 ·
So glad you got him back safe and sound. If my Kallie Cat got out I would be scared to death. The world is not a very nice place for indoor cats is it? Give him a belly rub for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.