Frugal Village Forums banner

Help please! One of my ducks is injured

Tags
ducks injured
2K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  forestdale 
#1 ·
I went out late this morning (10:30) to feed them and get the eggs and found one duck (Cinderella by name) wedged between the fence and their wooden nesting box. I pulled the box away from the fence and she sort of slumped, with her right side lower than her left. Her right wing was askew but it looks okay now. I brought her some water and after a moment she walked a few feet then sat down. I'm worried about her right foot. Part of the time she walked correctly and part of the time, she had it all curled up and walked on...well...curl up your hand and 'walk' on the backside of your wrist (where most people have their wristwatch) - that's what it looked like.

I sequestered her from the other two ducks and provided the better shelter, a bucket of water, and little bowls of food, grit and calcium. I also filled a small pan with water and put her in it. (It's about 30inches by 15 inches, only about 5 inches deep). She has her good foot down, bad foot up and body partially floating. Overall I was out there an hour. She is still trembling, but not as severely. And she did quietly 'quack' at me once. I floated some lettuce in the water and she ate one piece. Oh, and she pooped.

I don't know what else to do for her.

Our predicted high temp today is 55-60F. Low tonight around 40. I know ducks are pretty hardy, but is she more likely to get chilled because she injured? I could put a heat lamp over her, but I don't want her to get too hot either.

I would appreciate any suggestions as I don't have much avian knowledge. Also are there any safe mild pain relievers?

BTW, I'm fearful that she was stuck there for as long as 24hours. Dh moved the pen yesterday (because I was at work) and I'm thinking that's when she got stuck: yesterday morning.

TIA.

See less See more
#28 ·
Much better. Yesterday, the more she tried to do, the worse she looked. Today, she's been up and around a bit, limping, but the foot is positioned correctly. She's also eaten a bit and generally, looks more interested in her surroundings.

At night, I have been containing her to the box, and during the day, to the back 1/3 of the pen. Today, I set it up so the ducks can see each other. All three are sitting as close to each other as the barrier allows. I think I'll keep her confined at least two more nights, but I may let her socialize tomorrow during the day - if all goes well.

Oh! And she laid an egg this morning! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.