Frugal Village Forums banner

Bearded Dragons

936 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  hollyhill 
#1 ·
I am in need of some advice, please. Our youngest (soon to be 10) has been begging  for a bearded dragon for two years now. He has even saved every bit of his small allowance to go toward the purchase of one.  After two years, he has enough to  buy one and has asked us to get the supplies for him for Christmas if he buys the lizard. His teacher from two years ago had one in his classroom, which is where he developed his fascination with them.

Does anyone have any experience with these lizards?  My husband and I aren't too thrilled with the idea, but he is a responsible kid and has  been consistent with his request for one.  We have also been impressed with the way that he has saved his  money. But we've never had reptiles before (just dogs, cats and fish) and aren't sure what we would be in for if we got one.  We asked his teacher, but she is so "pro-anything animal" - her classroom is like a small zoo - that we think she would  approve of  any pet and don't feel that  we can trust her opinions.  We don't know anyone else that has one, either.  Our local pet store also says they are okay, but  they have a  $$ reason to say so.

Before we say yes or no, I wondered if anyone might have any thoughts  that  might  help us with our decision.  Thanks so much!

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, let me say that I think your son's sticktuativeness is wonderful! He certainly has demonstrated that he is really wanting this pet in particular. Some pets are not for all people. I have known people who have had pets that all I could think was, "Why that?" They love them however and that is waht counts.

A friend of mine had a lizard it was not the type your son is wanting. It started out as a cute little guy in a 10 gal. aquarium. Two years later is was 4 feet long and had to take a bath in their bath tub. They ended up getting rid if it because of its size.

I also had a friend who's daughter had one when she was a high school student. She loves it and took it to college with her. She has graduated and still has it today.

A
Here is a link that might help you and your son make this decission.
http://www.centralpets.com/animals/reptiles/lizards/lzd2641.html

#3 ·
I think they'd make a nice pet for a gentle and careful boy. We have them running wild in our backyard. We have a creek as our back boundary and they live along the creek bed. Sometimes they come up for sun and sit just out of our dogs' reach on the other side of the fence. I swear they are laughing when they do this. They aren't aggressive at all and are curious creatures. The ones we have grow to about 2 - 2.5 feet with tail but the tail is about 12 inches long.

Here is some more info:
http://www.bright.net/~a1rep/a1bdcare.html

#4 ·
Well we had one for a week this summer! It showed up on our back porch and we took care of her until we found her owners.

At first we were terrified of this strange critter (I had no idea what it was), but after some research and getting to know her, we became very fond of her. They are very gentle and if I were looking for a reptile to own I would definately select a bearded dragon.

They are not like iguanas which can be very agressive.

Rhonda, my children would LOVE to have those dragons so close.... how wonderful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.