Frugal Village Forums banner

Find a Shelter Friends

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  MTS04 
#1 ·
I have volunteered at animal shelters for years. It is amazing the types of pets that show up there. I have seen so many purebreds, mutts, cats,lizards, other critters and even livestock. All of pets have come from shelters and have never had a problem ( well most of the time). I have found so may "friends" over the years.

:kitty: :cowwave: :mouse: :bunny: :mouse: :chicken:

#2 ·
We have gotten all of our from shelters or they were strays we took in. We have adopted them all at various ages from two weeks old to several years old. All have been wonderful, loving additions to our family. Each is distinctive and adds his or her own flavor to our lives. I believe in shelter adoptions 110%.

#4 ·
We adopted our second cocker spaniel from a shelter. He is a purebred cocker. When we got him in Feb of 2005 he was 7 y.o. He has a few behavior issues, I think he may have been abused at one time, but I wouldn't trade him for anything. I'll never get a dog from a breeder again when I can adopt!

#5 ·
Incredible family members aren't they?

#6 ·
Five out of our six furbabies are adopted in one shape or form (either from a shelter or freecycle or a friend w/ too many babies). Petfinder.org is a wonderful way to search local shelters for new pets.

I have to be careful though. I fall in love with one and POOF! we have seven furbabies :lol:

#7 ·
we have had great success with petfinder - we now have a rescue in New York that makes travel plans for 5 - 6 cats every few months.

From what I understand, the laws are more strict in the north & the northern states do not have the overpopulation issue as severly as we do in the south. -- Makes me wonder why we can't adopt some of the same laws & policies??

I think the oddest pet that I have met while at the shelter -- a HUGE Boa that was found sunning himself at the bottom of someone's driveway! He was HUGE & beautiful! My son loved him! But never fear, he was reclaimed! :)

We also have many, many "livestock" friends - it is mostly due to ignorant pet owners - as far too many of our shelter population are "owner turn-ins"
We have had 9 + pot bellied pigs at one time, goats, even an emu! I'm still waiting on a horse that needs me!

Also, guinea pigs are a biggie around here - people don't seperate, and sha-bam - more guinea pigs!

Everyone with four legs in our home has been adopted from a shelter or taken from a negative situation -

The major issue around here is trying to teach the importance of SPAY & NEUTER - my son even preachs it at school!

sorry I'm rambling - this issue falls close to my heart -

:)

#9 ·
From what I understand, the laws are more strict in the north & the northern states do not have the overpopulation issue as severly as we do in the south. -- Makes me wonder why we can't adopt some of the same laws & policies??
I grew up in the Midwest in a rural area, and people brought animals out there to dump. What infuriated me was that these people would delude themselves into thinking "farm families can always use more animals".

I've been in the South for years, and I really don't see any difference. Way too much ignorance regardless of region. I'd be concerned about any stricter laws or policies that might indirectly lead to more animals being put down. Now, if they want to pass spay/neuter laws, I'm all for that.

I used to be a 'foster mom' for shelties that had been rescued from breeders. They were the sweetest dogs, and most had been mistreated for years. It still makes me angry thinking about it.

#8 ·
I adopted a young pure breed shih tzu with health issues. We've worked thru most of them now and our Daisy is so sweet. I wounldn't trade her for anything. Today (after 1 1/2 years) she's healthy and happy. When we
first got her she was too sick to even play with toys but not now!

#10 ·
We adopted both of our dogs from shelters. I could never purchase a dog. There are too many dogs looking for homes. The great thing about shelter dogs is if they are older, they are usually housetrained.

#11 ·
Tempest, my big handsome boy kitty, came to me from a friend's farm. Her mother kept feeding stray cats and the cats kept going into the barn and, well, doing their thing. Eventually they'd have litters of cats. So my ex-husband and I adopted a baby from that litter. He was a handsome little ball of grey fur and when I left my husband, he came with me.

Nisha, the lastest addition to our little family, came to me just this past Sunday! She's taken a real shine to :smooch: and is living with him in great comfort. They're going to get along just fine, I believe. :) I wrote about her entering our lives in Guess What Found Us Today? :) - Frugal Village Forums .

#12 ·
I have always rescued our pets. My avatar is Bella a brindle pit bull, who is now almost 10 years old!

She was a stray when we adopted her.
Funny, at first I was afraid of her! Big pit bull, ohhh!
She is such a softie!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.