Frugal Village Forums banner

Chicken with Gravy over Biscuits

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  lparker 
#1 ·
Chicken with Gravy over Biscuits

Recipe Description
Creamy gravy with chicken, peas, celery & onions over biscuits​
Preparation Steps:
you will need to cook the chicken first. Use chicken with bones, or you won't get as much flavor​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
30 min to 1 hour​
Ingredients:
4 chicken/thigh combo's
5 stalks celery sliced
2 large onions sliced
2-48 oz. chicken broth
1 small bag frozen peas
1/4 c. flour
1/2-1 cup water
2 batches biscuits​
Serves:
4-8 or more. This is one you can stretch​
Directions:
Chicken with Gravy over biscuits

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a large pot, add chicken broth, onions, celery, and chicken leg combo's. Add a dash of salt & pepper..and cook them until done. (This is your longest step..so don't rush it.) You want the meat falling off the bones....and you might need to add addtional water as it cooks down. (you WILL need to add water).

Once chicken is done, remove and debone and cut into small pieces. Add back into pot with peas. Start to boil, and cook long enough for the peas to get done. (10 minutes).
Meanwhile...stir the flour and water together, and while your pot is at a heavy boil..add in the flour/water...stirring constantly. You might have to play around with this..to make sure the consistency is right). Turn heat down, and simmer while you get the biscuits in the oven. I admit that homemade biscuits are the best here.​

See less See more
#3 ·
Ooooh, this sounds good right now...printing so I can put add it into my menu plans...
Thanks for sharing!

#5 ·
My wife scoffs at adding broth as an added expense. I will say there is nothing wrong with her gravy. She uses home canned chicken, warms the chicken, drains off the broth that it was canned in, adds water to the broth for the gravy, and add the chicken to the gravy. Her biscuits...well, she quit entering them in our county fair so other could have a chance at a blue ribbon.

Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.