Help/ advice needed please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Help/ advice needed please

So first off, I'm not sure I'm putting this in the right place. If I'm wrong, could a mod put it in the appropriate place?

As some of you might know, I'm pregnant with our first child. Our Mini-K is due May 1st.

I am preparing for a hospital birth and am quite at a lost as to what to bring in my suitcase for the hospital. What will I need? What will Mini-K need? Any tips and tricks? I did find info elsewhere on the web, but there is so much info and contradicting stuff that I feel overwhelmed and more confused.

I figured I could get help from the collective wisdom of the FV community!

TIA
    Mrs K, married to Mr K -October 3rd 2009 My true love

Mother to Mini K our precious darling girl. My new true love!

One very rowdy kitty cat

Lucky and very grateful to be debt free

I love my life!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!

When my first was born, I didn't have a hospital bag - he was early, and I didn't know when I went in that it was going to be it, so here's what I wish I had:

1. A going home outfit for the baby. Pack 2 or 3, in case you change your mind or the baby spits up on one. Also, I didn't find out the gender so mine was yellow, and the baby was jaundiced so the pictures looked terrible. Next time I'm going with green or white.
    2. Your favorite toiletries. I ended up with a c-section, and I hated having to shower without my own shampoo and soap. Would have liked to have my own deoderant and hair brush, too.
    3. Comfortable clothes. Most women still look/feel 5-6 months pregnant, so pack something like sweatpants.
    4. Receiving blankets for the baby. The hospital will have plenty of blankets, but you aren't supposed to take them home.

The hospital had diapers, wipes, feeding supplies, all that stuff, so you don't need to pack those, just make sure you have them waiting at home. And install the car seat first. Nothing like taking the baby outside and holding him/her while someone is trying to install the car seat for the first time!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

it has been 22 years but the one thing I remember my feet were cold in the delievery room I wore about 3 pairs of socks, so wool socks in case.... congrats and ditto on everything Telephus said.......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A book or something to do just in case. May or may not want it but it's there.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge/August
    $

Coupons for Year / $745.54

August/ Grocery
    /Goal $175.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $504.98

Eat Out No More Sept
    Goal 20
    Accomp/12

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/6

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you ladies! All help is appreciated!

One very rowdy kitty cat

I love my life!

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I second everything above

and add

~Food, water or some cash

I had a miserable experience with my second child. I had gone into labor in the middle of the night, and labored for over 24 hours. When it was all said and done, I was STARVING and THIRSTY. The nursing staff could not do anything about it but bring me one of those half cans of ginger ale, and fill a pitcher with town water. Blech. My DH did not have a dime on him, and neither did any other family member. I went almost 30 hours without food and was so hungry I was ill. It was terrible. I never thought I needed to worry about it because with my first I had absolutely no appetite at all. All I wanted was sleep.

Congratulations on Mini K!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some crackers and water/protein snacks
    The car seat-don't laugh sometimes your in a rush
    If they offer you anything take-diapers,soap bowls whatever.
    A diaper bag,coupons, take it all
    A yes footies w/ traction,a nice robe,something scented you like
    a deck of cards
    a coat for the baby May is iffy
    bring the smaller and the med outfits-you could get a size suprise

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I second the different size outfits. Nice mention FW

Our first literally from head to knees fit in the palm of my hand. He was too small for preemie clothing, he swam in them. He fit doll clothing! We were VERY surprised.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default more hints and tips

I bring a fresh book of puzzles (logic, word search, etc). If your hospital stay is extended for any reason, c-section, infection, etc. You have more to do than watch TV.

Videos. Lots of l/d/r rooms have dvd players. Your room afterwards may too.

Books.

I second the several sizes of clothes. And maternity clothes for you because you won't be that different in size.

One thing to remember, is that the baby will lose weight in the hospital and the first few days while your milk is coming in/the baby gets used to eating via a bottle, whichever your choice is.

Camera. You may not want pictures during giving birth, but having your own camera there will allow earliest pics of the baby being weighed or cleaned up or you holding it immediately after birth, etc.

Cell phone to alert people of the birth or of complications. Ask for the policy but most hospitals at least let you use them in your mother/baby room. Or a phone list of important numbers.

Also, change of clothes for spouse. If things go long, or he wants to spend the night, having it handy will make things easier the next day. That said, his pillow to make the hospital provided chair/couch/foldout bed more comfortable.

Toiletries, for the reasons expressed above.

Money for spouse's meals/snacks and to supplement what you are allowed to have.

Sometimes, you can bring in your laptop if the hospital is wired. Ask.

It is better to be over prepared and not need things than to get to the hospital, have complications and not be prepared for the extra time.

Another thing. Get up and moving on your own as soon as possible. Whether a normal birth or complicated (c-section or extremely long, or whatever), getting up and moving is one of the best things to do to get your body started healing.

If you have had an epidural or a spinal, your stomach, intestines, etc will be slow, walking or sitting in a rocking chair and rocking helps.

Bring a Boppy pillow or make use of the hospital pillows to help you get the baby in position for first feedings. Pillows help when you are sore from giving birth.

Amen to taking whatever the hospital lets you take. Usually diapers, wipes, vaseline, shampoo and scrubbies used on the baby. Sample diaper bags with coupons, samples and other things are useful in packing up all of those things. Also, you can take the things you used, especially the pads that you will need for the extra bleeding after birth. Ask.
    Last edited by MissSeetonFan; 04-05-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: clarification
    MissSeetonFan

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah... Definately different sized clothing. My first was a moosechild and just fit into newborn clothes. We would have been taking him home naked if they hadn't fit.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hair clips... When my daughter had her first, neither of us thought to take a hair clip for her, she ended up with mine. I was in the delivery room with her for both of the grandbabies, night clothes especially a nursing gown if you plan on breastfeeding. The first thing DD wanted was a non hospital gown. Slippers and robe, to go along with everything else that has been mentioned above. Even if you dont take everything in, at least have it in the trunk of your car, so who ever only has to run as far as the parking lot if you want something, not all the way to the house or to a store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow great ideas! Thank you!
    I had started packing the smallest suitcase in our set, will be switching up one size!

I'm so nervous about the birth, at least knowing I'll get there prepared will be some comfort to me.

One very rowdy kitty cat

I love my life!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh yeah, have newborn and size 1 diapers at your house. My first went directly into size 1.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, take everything the hospital lets you. We had a few diapers left in the pack we had opened, so we took those. We also got 2 different diaper bags with tons of samples. We were also able to take home some formula and wipes. We even got to take 2 of the baby blankets, although you weren't supposed to, but we needed them to fit DS in the car seat (he was a premie and pretty small).

And one more - if you have a favorite pillow or blanket that you especially like from home, that's good to have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Moosechild-lol #2 was short and chesty w/ a darn large head and short legs and arms. translation-roll,roll the sleeves and get a snap outfit.
    def. on the camera! I also did my annoucements that night and mailed them from the hosp. yes,I'm weird but I didn't get to room in.

And your supposed to be nervous but they've done this before and your body will go on auto pilot.Just help it don't fight it-cuz babies comin'. I used to think of my DD as my secret friend I couldn't wait to meet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast