Anyone else have Gestational Diabetes?
    Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone else have Gestational Diabetes?

I've BTDT with my first pregnancy, and I've already been diagnosed with it in this pregnancy.  (Normally it isn't even tested for until after the first trimester.) 

My main problem is that I'm so nauseated all the time  (it's like being sea sick 24/7)  that I can't deal with too much cooking, and often I grab whatever's easy.  Many of my easy choices--- baked potatoes, bagels, etc--- are too high in carbs, and then that throws my blood sugar off.    I've bought some of those easy skillet meals that are frozen  and include meat, veggies, etc-- those are ok, but rather expensive. 

Last time I was diet controlled, but this time, since the symptoms showed up so early, I might have to go on medication. 

Anyone else dealing with this?

~~ Amy ~~ Wife to DH ~
    Mom to: DD, age 8 and DS, age 4

guest7
    Tourist

BTDT
    What does that mean?

You only have gestational diabetes? Or do you have diabetes when you're not pregnant. Because you will most likely have adult onset diabetes later in life. This is very common.

Will you be needing to take insulin?
    Have you tried low carb foods?
    How about anti-emetic. (anti nausea)? like zofran- to help you through?

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by frugalfanny
    BTDT
    What does that mean?

You only have gestational diabetes? Or do you have diabetes when you're not pregnant. Because you will most likely have adult onset diabetes later in life. This is very common.

Will you be needing to take insulin?
    Have you tried low carb foods?
    How about anti-emetic. (anti nausea)? like zofran- to help you through?
    BTDT= been there, done that

I'm on Zofran already.

And I "only" (?) have Gestational Diabetes, but, before I was pregnant I was Insulin Resistant.... both conditions increase my chances of becoming a diabetic later. With my other medical problems (polycystic ovarian syndrome, for one) and my family history, that's likely anyways.

Low carb, no carb, doesn't matter-- can't keep much of anything down right now. I meet with the dietician tommorow, hopefully she'll have some advice. The broth- toast- rice- jello diet is what I lived on last pregnancy, and I'm trying to avoid that this time.

I'm hoping to avoid insulin, but not sure yet.

I have two good doctors and I've educated myself through a lot of reading.  I  was hoping someone else on the boards had gone through this and could share stories.
    ~~ Amy ~~ Wife to DH ~
    Mom to: DD, age 8 and DS, age 4

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had gestational diabetes with mine. I made sure to eat three square meals a day. I didn't have to be on meds. I did have to have my blood sugar checked once a week, though.

June grocery challenge $114.99/$400

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My daughter was with both her pregnancies but was able to control it with her diet which shocked me, since she would normally eat anything, but she was fanatic about what she ate and kept a diary of everytime she checked her sugar level and what she had eaten so she could keep it down.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have had gd with my last 3 pregnancies. I have been able to just control my diet and no medication. Each pregnancy was different and reacted different to the diabetes. I know that sounds weird but my dietician said that was very normal. One of the pregnancies I had it if I looked at a carb my blood sugar would go up. This last pregnancy I could eat some carbs and it would not affect it. I checked my blood sugars 4 times a day to make sure I was in the right range. (fasting, and 2 hours after each meal)